Black Dragon review SP2 - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Black Dragon review SP2

I recently purchased a Black Dragon high mount exhaust to replace my Sato low mounts. I kept the low mounts for days when I should consider to ride 2 up and I'll use the high mounts for any other time. My order was black piping with titanium end caps and carbon sleeves.

Installing the new exhaust was not bad, but I had to modify the brackets for the cans due to the undertail on my bike. This was no biggie and I clamped both brackets together in a vise to hold them while I trimmed them a bit to cut them down evenly and symmetrically to one another. In the slip joint for the slip-on, I used a sealant to insure against leaking joints. I had a slight leak without doing this.
I'm very pleased and have gotten quite a few comments regarding the look of them on the bike.

How do they sound compared to the Sato's? I like them better! As soon as I started the bike with the new exhaust, it was instantly louder than the Sato's after years of use. The tone was about the same, I really could not tell them apart. I took the bike out for a ride finally and it was nice to pull alongside of other cruisers and not be able to hear them at speed. I could still hear the necessary sounds of sirens and airhorns from emergency vehicles that I encountered during the ride.

Overall, I could not have been any happier unless I could have found a set of high mount Sato's to match the low mounts I already have. ( Sucks that a set popped up in the classifieds on here right after my purchase and paying out other bills, if not, I would have gotten those as well.)

Next step is dyno testing (when time allows). I'll compare stock vs. Sato vs. Black Dragon both with and without the PCIII, and with custom tuning.

I'll also post pics when I get them loaded.

SP2 RC51
CBR 929RR

Last edited by Revolution; 04-11-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 11:38 AM

im thinking about the same setup... lets see them pics!!!!

2000 RC51
1985 ATC 350X
2009 Silverado SS clone
Lots and lots of guns!lol
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Banned

Thanks for the support Rev. i appreciate it!

I would love to see some pics too

also, on that loose connection. was it from the bushing to muffler or from the pipe to bushing? i have more bushings here and i can send another if you think that is needed?

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 11:52 AM

whats the difference between bonzai and hi mount?

2000 RC51
1985 ATC 350X
2009 Silverado SS clone
Lots and lots of guns!lol
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I'm glad to read that you're happy with the sound. I've not heard any of Marks exhaust yet. I know, listening on youtube aint the same, but it gives you an idea, even tho the recording quality can be accross the board. I sat and listened to Sato, Yosh, Akropovic, M4, Jardine, Two Brothers, etc., on my TV/surround system. I thought the D&D's were repulsive. just my opinion, but they make the RC sound like a harley. Nothing against Harley, but I DONT want my RC51 sounding like one. I liked ladybirds (too loud for my area) and Sato's the best.

Mark, do you have vid's of your exhaust on a running RC? Gonna go check your site.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

The loose connection was the bushing at teh slip-on. The slip-on fit well enough that it fit good and snug btu still passes the exhaust gas through the joints and you could hear it puffing the gasses out and sucking it in between pulses No need to send another, a little sealant filled the gap perfectly and all is well. I expected it when I deal with slip joint type connections.

The Bonzai and hi-mount are essentially the same, they are just given the distinction by their manufacturers.

The sound is not obnoxious and raspy at all. The sound is exactly what I wanted. A good nice tight pulse of the gasses. I have not heard some of those brands on the RC in quite a long time. From my memory, these are louder than the Two Brothers and Yoshi's. The Akra's I have not heard too many running those and it has been a few months.

I'll charge up the GoPro and hope it records it accurately. I'll also do the same for the dyno runs when that time comes.

SP2 RC51
CBR 929RR
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
i have the same setup and love it as well
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
I have not heard some of those brands on the RC in quite a long time. From my memory, these are louder than the Two Brothers and Yoshi's. The Akra's I have not heard too many running those and it has been a few months.

I'll charge up the GoPro and hope it records it accurately. I'll also do the same for the dyno runs when that time comes.
It's ridiculous how many videos are on youtube with a RC51 and just about any exhaust you can think of.

And If that's the same gopro that someone listed on this forum about a month or two ago, I wanted to mention, it carries very good bass and sub on the sound track. If I'm not mistaken, it's the one Riders Discount advertised. The sound came thru better than just about any other youtube I heard on my surround system.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

This is true, but I prefer to use my own ears rather than an audio track that may have been edited or poorly recorded. There are quite a few videos we can compare and they sound different, much the same as 2 photographers taking the same photo and yielding 2 different results.

SP2 RC51
CBR 929RR
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 11:46 PM

Well of course that's true. But until one has the oppurtunity to hear all those different brands live in person, a vid is the next best thing. Much more effective than someone explaining or better yet, imitating a ladybird exhaust on a RC51 @ 5000-7000rpm

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode