Keep blowing exhausts! - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Keep blowing exhausts!

Does anyone have any experience of Two Brothers race cans?

Mine came with these on and I love them, the sound is immense and sets car alarms off and upsets old people etc etc. I even re-painted mine with matt black end cans and gold leafed the Two brothers logo so they look super cool.

however my left have pipe keeps popping off the end. Where the carbon is rivetted to the body with the surround ring it seems that when its hot and under load from the engine the pressure is too much and it just blows off so I have to limp home, game over!

I inspected the baffles and some of which had been removed so I bought a repair kit and packed the cans out again thinking back pressure was the cause, however after a two hour ride it went pop again!

Its getting beyond a joke now and I am having to repair them every time I take the bike out unless I ride like im on a moped which isnt really the idea on such a thoroughbred.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix them back on permanently?

Cheers,

Stu

www.stuartforster.co.uk

Honda VTX C-Custom 1800 Twin
Honda VTR RC51 SP2 1000 Twin
Honda VTR RC51 SP1 1000 Twin
Triumph Tiger 1050 Triple
GSXR 1000 Inline Four
KTM 660 SMC Single
Lambretta GP 185 Custom
Westfield Seight V8
R32 Golf
Audi TT Mkii
VW T5 Transporter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Twins are hard on mufflers anyway due to the large exhaust pulses.
I have buddy who also had 2Bros mufflers and his did the same thing.
The end cap blew right off and a car ran over it.
He had to search the Internet to find a replacement muffler set as 2Bros no longer made his model mufflers anymore.

I have akrapovic carbon-fiber mufflers and haven't had any problems with the rivets or end caps.
Is there some weakness in the design or issue with the rivets that may be causing your 2Bros mufflers to fail repeatedly?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 12:13 PM

i had the same problem with my aluminium jardine. never came off but always loosened up. make sure the rivets you replace them with are steel instead of alum. that helped alot with mine

2000 RC51
1985 ATC 350X
2009 Silverado SS clone
Lots and lots of guns!lol

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
like subsailor said.....v twins are hard on mufflers, especially on carbon fiber. Most guys in the Aprilia twin world don't recommend carbon fiber cans unless made by a high quality manufacturer like Akrapovic. They just don't hold up. Not saying two brothers is a bad company but they don't have the research and development/ build quality of Akrapovic and similar maufacturers.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

The weird thing is that I thought it was a design flaw in that the carbon had slots cut into it which lined up with the rivet holes, so on the third repair cycle I drilled four new holes to make sure the rivets were enclosed on the muffler casing.

However, when it popped off again it looked like these holes had turned into slots as well, I can only guess that the rivets got so hot that they melted the carbon fibre allowing it to slip off?

I shall look for some steel rivets and see how I get on, if they go again I think I'll have to sell them for something else. Shame really though, lovely cans!

Cheers,

www.stuartforster.co.uk

Honda VTX C-Custom 1800 Twin
Honda VTR RC51 SP2 1000 Twin
Honda VTR RC51 SP1 1000 Twin
Triumph Tiger 1050 Triple
GSXR 1000 Inline Four
KTM 660 SMC Single
Lambretta GP 185 Custom
Westfield Seight V8
R32 Golf
Audi TT Mkii
VW T5 Transporter
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 06:30 PM

Unfortunately the rivets used by Akrapovic and others are the 5/16" stainless rivet, and most manual rivet tools can't handle steel rivets in that diameter.
I searched all over and couldn't find a manual tool that can handle steel rivets that size.
I'm trying aluminum rivets on my rebuilt Akra mufflers as a test.
Hopefully they will hold up.
If anyone knows of a manual rivet tool that does handle 5/16" steel rivets, please let me know.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
This should be able to do it..
1/4" rivits, 3500lbs of pulling power
http://www.costplustools.com/Huck-HK...er_p_4003.html

But it going to take some coin to get one.

James
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Look at Harbor Freight for a pneumatic rivet gun. Those are the schiznit.

2Mother cans do sound good but this is not the first I have heard of this using their products and not just RC51 units have had this issue...

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I have the Akrapovic full titanium race system, which came with Carbon sleeves & stainless rivets with a stainless band around the carbon - holding the titanium end can tightly (Interference fit) in place.

Like others have said, 2 cyl bikes, especially large capacity are hard on silencers. I replaced the wadding on mine twice already in 4 years and also two of the carbon sleeves because they discoloured and began to break up as the wadding burnt away over time / mileage. Definitely use the right sized rivets - with stainless or titanium either side of the carbon fibre so it holds well. A good rivet gun should work fine, no need for anything super heavy duty - use both hands to squeeze the tool and it should be fine.

Last time, I changed the carbon sleeves for titanium when renewing the wadding packs inside. The exhaust system will get louder as the wadding inside deteriorates but the sleeves won't be affected.
TBH I couldn't care less if the bike gets very loud - I wear ear plugs and ride slowly & at low revs when in residential areas and noisy bikes are safer.

For an RC51 that's ridden as it should and used for significant annual mileage, Titanium sleeves are always better.
Carbon's just too much maintenance for no particular gain compared to Titanium for a road bike.

Last edited by The Stig; 05-05-2011 at 10:54 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
...Carbon's just too much maintenance for no particular gain compared to Titanium for a road bike.
I knew the problems with c-f mufflers, but c-f was the only choice when I bought the Akrapovic full system.
I have the stainless rivets Akrapovic supplies, but my rivet took simply isn't designed to handle those rivets.
This is what prompted my search for a heavier duty tool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode