Tyga small hugger WILL fit with OEM chain guard - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 92VFR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Tyga small hugger WILL fit with OEM chain guard

... and doesn't look too bad, either.

I got Tyga's smaller hugger (part #BPCH-7020) for my '04 SP2, and it looked like it was an either/or deal between the hugger and the chain guard. Well I got them both to fit, with the CG's front tab mounted on top of the hugger. I think it looks pretty good for an overlap, so I thought I'd write up how I did it.

1) Go ahead and mount the Tyga hugger per their instructions. Nobody seems to have a problem with that, so I'll skip adding anything there.

2) The OEM CG is pretty thick at its front mounting tab, which is just typical Honda quality, but I thought making it a little thinner would be OK ... and helpful. So I used a grinder to grind away some of the plastic on the bottom of the tab. First, though, I set the guard in place exactly as it would sit when mounted, and marked on the CG exactly where the CG overlaps the hugger. The part of the hugger overlapped by the CG is a nice curve that matches the radius of small bench grinder's wheel pretty well. So I ground just a thin amount of plastic off the bottom of the CG's front tab until it fit a little tighter ... until it sit a little closer to the swingarm. You can't actually remove enough plastic to get the CG to sit right on the swingarm like it did without the hugger there, but it's closer, close enough anyway, that I think it looks fine. If your CG sits like mine, mine never really sat right on the swingarm anyway.

3) I also found that the CG's mounting holes were a little too close together when it's sitting in its new position with its front tab up higher than it originally was, so I bored both holes out just a smidge to give just enough room.

4) The OEM plastic push pin and spread anchor that secures the front of the CG is too short with the CG sitting atop the hugger, so ... I used a common wall anchor used to mount closet organizers to drywall in a house! ... and grabbed a longer (1 inch), black screw out of my stash. The anchor turned out to need a little reaming out with a small drill bit. Oh, and the anchor is grey instead of black so I touched the edge of it with a permanent black marker Hey, it works. The anchor is no high quality item, but prob will last quite a while in this low stress use.

... and that's pretty much it ... set the CG atop the hugger, push the new anchor in, screw the new black screw into the anchor, and screw the CG's OEM bolt in at the CG's rear mount location ... and you're done.

A couple pics:

Last edited by extrapolator; 04-24-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 04:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Tyga small hugger WILL fit with OEM chain guard

That's interesting, I have the larger hugger and wanted to keep the chain guard on but couldn't.

My hugger happens to be a little warped so I used some washers on the brake side to lift it a little, is there any way I can 'reshape' it to be less warped do you know? Or Should I be throwing that at DukHunter?

Again thanks for this I'll take a look at mine and see if I can make it work.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Has just realized that I don't care what it costs until I get the bill! :roll eyes: ...

Rossco's RC Teardown & Rebuild....

PARTS FOR SALE!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, Rossco, that's probably a question for Matt as IIRC this is the first CF item I've ever owned ... doesn't seem very workable ... to where it would stay, though. Seems like once it's shaped, it's shaped. Good luck with it.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Wow, look at those tasty Floriduh sized chicken strips.....You have any Frank's to go with them?

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
Wow, look at those tasty Floriduh sized chicken strips.....You have any Frank's to go with them?
Shots Fired!
bladeryda619 likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

Bwahahaha...

2001 SP1 (sold)
2004 SP2 (properly stored)
2012 Ruckus (stolen)
2015 Grom (under construction)

Weyrauch pronounced (Y Rock)...Rock for short.

Semper Fidelis
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
What can I say, we don't need to turn ... errr ... get to turn down here FLOORida ... which is part of the reason I'm looking at a ZX14R

Re-post of our curvy road: (note that says 1.3 not 13)

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 02:40 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrapolator View Post
What can I say, we don't need to turn ... errr ... get to turn down here FLOORida ... which is part of the reason I'm looking at a ZX14R

Again sorry to hear that 'strap...my street is about 4 miles of twisty road before I get to a main road and 15min away from an awesome 45min loop around a very nice lake.

I'll go burn up that road and think about you next time.

Last edited by nobody; 05-03-2014 at 03:02 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 02:47 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrapolator View Post

You made lemonade with yours lemons...I applaud for the efforts given your roads.

2001 SP1 (sold)
2004 SP2 (properly stored)
2012 Ruckus (stolen)
2015 Grom (under construction)

Weyrauch pronounced (Y Rock)...Rock for short.

Semper Fidelis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode