Work in progress - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Work in progress

new front end with Brembo monoblocks. I will most likely replace the rotors as well. Any suggestions which ones would be a good match?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1911.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1340   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1915.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1341  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 08:32 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Hi,

Did you change just the fork bottoms, or entire forks - where did you get these, if you don't mind me asking, they look excellent!

I'm in the midst of doing a similar upgrade - as a result of warping my original rotors...

I bought a set of Brembo M4 108's then decided shortly afterwards decided I'd prefer some CNC monoblocks, so am awaiting a set of 31/35 Discacciati calipers, which should have been dispatched from Italy today.

I did a fair bit of research into brake discs. I dislike EBC from past experiences, Brembo's discs look nice (There are two types) but in the end went for a set of Braketech Axis S/S rotors. Lowest priced source I could get these from was http://www.kneedraggers.com/product/...ont-Honda-RC51. I think you'll find these to be the best of the selection generally available, not least for the design & material quality.

Let us know how you get on.
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Hi,

Did you change just the fork bottoms, or entire forks - where did you get these, if you don't mind me asking, they look excellent!

I'm in the midst of doing a similar upgrade - as a result of warping my original rotors...

I bought a set of Brembo M4 108's then decided shortly afterwards decided I'd prefer some CNC monoblocks, so am awaiting a set of 31/35 Discacciati calipers, which should have been dispatched from Italy today.

I did a fair bit of research into brake discs. I dislike EBC from past experiences, Brembo's discs look nice (There are two types) but in the end went for a set of Braketech Axis S/S rotors. Lowest priced source I could get these from was http://www.kneedraggers.com/product/...ont-Honda-RC51. I think you'll find these to be the best of the selection generally available, not least for the design & material quality.

Let us know how you get on.
Hi Stig.
The forkbottoms were sourced from Italy and made by:

www.styleandperformance.it

Talk to Paolo as he speaks acceptable english. I paid 480 Euros for the pair. They are machined from billet and look a work of art. The work is being done at HM Racing in Edenbridge England. The fork internals have been replaced by K-Tech parts and this has transformed the front end. Perry Leask of HM Racing did the work. I am waiting for some details to be worked out as to brakeline placement. The rear brakes will be replaced by un underhung Brembo CNC caliper. No you do not need either of them but it looks great!!
Best regards

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Lifetime Premium

I think you'll find we think quite alike...Don't need upgraded brakes, but none of us need RC51's either, we just love having this stuff!

Thanks! I've just taken a glance at their site & will probably be ordering from www.styleandperformance.it very soon, including their under-hung rear caliper kit, which looks to be available for the SP2.

Now I'll need to figure out a decent rear caliper and possibly a billet master cylinder too, depending on ratios...

My forks were re-worked beginning of last year by Maxton in UK, with a GP7 replacement rear shock. I see you also replaced your rims too. Are those Marvic?

Looking at your posts, you were asking about the Akropovic full race system.
There's a brand new one for sale here: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4206

Go on... buy it! - It'll always be worth at least 2K GBP used anyways...
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Lifetime Premium

This thread may also be useful, there's some discussion on the discs. PFM is also a good brand, but as you already have calipers the Braketech items may be a better choice.

https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4471
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Hi Stig,
the rims are the standard RC51 ones! I have been looking at the new 6 spoke PVM's. They look marvelous I must say.
http://www.pvm.de/w1/en/produkte/raeder/pvm6sp2008h/
5 to 6 weeks lead time unfortunately....
Possibly my next upgrade.
By the way the diascacciati stuff looks the part! Don't forget to post a photo of the result.
I have actually done quite a lot to my bike. Apart from the front suspension have Ohlins at the rear with hydraulic preload adjuster. As mentioned un underhung brakekit with CNC Brembo caliper. On the engine front a powercommander III, K&N filter, Sato lo-mount shorty Ti slip-ons, an HM Racing quickshifter, Gilles rearsets and chain adjusters, Crescent Suzuki clip-ons, Brembo CNC brake and clutch master cylinders, a Power Bronze "double bubble" screen. As you can see absolutely essential items
By the way I get 131HP at the rear wheel on the HM Racing dyno. Almost flat torque curve and very nice throttle action. The thing that worries me though are our "less than honest" brethren with an interest in motorcycling

Thanks for the Akra link but as you can see I run Sato's. By the way have you seen the Ladybird blue end cans? Apparently not available currently due to the nuclear fallout in Japan. I always fancied the Colin Edwards replica Hi-mount cans. Unfortunately not available any more....
Talking about specal RC51's. Did you know the Kainzinger RC51?
http://honda-tuning.info/unternehmen...p12/index.html
That's Germans for you! Bloody marvelous!
I think after an upgrade to PVM wheels and some full floating superbike rotors at the front There will not be an awful lot more I could do to it apart from a custom paint job. Any suggestions?
See ya
ps mention my fork bottom order from the UK. Paolo will like that! Not many people know them outside of Italy/ Maybe the language?

Last edited by plasticmaggot; 05-09-2011 at 01:13 PM.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

Hi,

I have PVM 7 - Y spoke wheels. John Harris was trying to persuade me to go for Dymags, but I waited a few months and got these. Glad I did as Dymag went out of business since .
PVM's are so well made they don't need any balancing weights front or rear unlike Marchesini's, so a bike shop told me...(Don't know if that's true for sure).
The only difficulty I'm finding now is getting an 80mm bore, 5 hole 100 PCD sprocket. B&C in UK can machine a Renthal one for me and Harris will have them too but they may be difficult to find in Japan. BTW, 15/41 or 15/42 is the largely agreed best gearing change for RC51's

Ladybird is in Osaka, about 650 km from Fukushima so I doubt there's any problem with getting their products. Smells like a bit of BS. Only the area 30km around Fukushima Dai-Ichi is affected and there are many people still living there and thousands of volunteers helping. It's really not as the intl. media is suggesting - that Japan is unlivable or anything of the sort. There are published radio-activity readings all over Japan on a 3 times daily basis available to all to see. The vast majority of readings are at normal background levels, except areas close to Fukushima's power station. Most of the radiation that escaped was Iodine 131 which has an 8 day half life. It's not like Chernobyl which was much more serious, but I digress...

You might want to consider getting a Turn-One snorkel & carbon air box. The standard airbox has the throttles underneath it. The Turnone (A copy of the Durbahn design) has throttles inside and uses the underside of the fuel tank as an air-tight lid. By having a much larger volume this helps increase torque and as there is more of a ram-air effect at higher speeds. There is resonance with carbon, so it sounds much nicer than standard. You can hear the engine gulp air as you open the throttle wide open. Someone recently dyno tested and said it made 7 bhp difference, but it will probably make the most difference at speed. The snorkel is so large I can put my fist into it. For about 250 GBP for the while kit (roughly) it's well worth the cost.
Turnone are making a new batch this month, so you might want to get your order in...
http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/rc5...parts-may.html

Once you have a carbon intake snorkel, you'll probably want a Magical Racing carbon instrument panel surround. Beautifully finished & looks very sweet, just make sure your master cylinders don't foul it on full lock and adjust if they do...or you'll scratch the edges of that beautiful finish.

Adding pretty parts will bring you further into wanting cosmetic changes...
You'll probably like some flush mount LED indicators when you see them. A company called Watsen Design in Canada makes some lovely billet ones which are painted to match your fairing. Best I've come across. Can't really see them till they're switched on (Very bright). There are Rizoma rears or others available depending on what you want to do. You'd need to change the indicator relay to one that works with LED's. There's also rear undertail kits to change the ugly back light. My bike's previous owner made his own using an LED CBR tail light and undertray sections from coated aluminium. He did a good job. Looks much better than the heavy rear standard cluster... You can fit LED sidelight bulbs, etc. too. When you do electrical changes always use shrink wrap & a soldering iron, tidily zip tie loose wires, etc. Crimp connectors hold water, break off, etc. causing headaches. RC51's vibrate a lot, so anything loose will shake a lot. I usually Loctite bolts for exhaust, rearsets, etc. as a few fell off before I did that...

Most custom paint jobs seem to be to repair damage - nothing wrong with the original colours IMHO. If you do a custom paint job, may as well go the whole hog and fit some custom endurance style lights with an FRP fairing and save the original in your attic...The Cabin colours are pretty and there were some other lovely paintjobs on RC51 racebikes too.

I think it's Tyga USA that also offers a carbon rear seat hump complete with carbon lid.. Durbahn also made a nice fairing for RC51's. Check their site for more ideas...Pricey though!

You might also want to fit Carbon front mudguard & rear hugger. Magical Racing make some nice designs of these & some lovely wide angle lightweight carbon mirrors too - Best carbon parts I've found for RC51's. Mine have been on for 4 years and a lot of mileage, absolutely no problems, no milky discolouring, etc (Bike does live under cover when not in use though).

Or how about a Tyga top yoke to replace the standard item, topped with a Probolt titanium nut? Probolt sell some nice fairing bolt kits to replace the nasty old standard stuff too
HRC quick throttle (Available cheaply from http://www.scottsms.com) is well worth it to make for quicker blipping for downchanges & it's cheap.

Keep the bike chained with an Abus Granite (Or similar) to a big steel anchor sunk into your garage floor and put a baby monitor inside the garage plugged in & hidden with the transmitter in your bedroom. The less than honest brethren wouldn't be able to do much without making a lot of noise by which time you'll have called the Police, or started turning on lights or making it known you are aware someone's there...

There's a ton of stuff you can still do to your RC51...May as well do it whilst parts are still available though. The nice parts are slowly dissapearing as demand wanes, just as it did for RC30's & RC45's. But it's very easy to lighten your wallet. I hate to count what I spend on mine, because then sanity begins to set in...

Saw an article in PB some months ago describing what was "probably" the UK's nicest RC51 for road use. Your's already sounds better...and will no doubt get nicer & nicer the way you're headed so far.

As a result of your suggestion I'm awaiting a response from Paolo on the best price he can offer for some bits. Did they clear anodise your radial caliper brackets?

Should you have difficulty I can probably also facilitate supply of some stuff from Japan such as MR stuff, although Simon in Kobe does that for a living I think.
Pound's value is rubbish though, so expect to pay a fair old chunk of wedge to import stuff from Japan.
US, Europe, etc. might be more attractively priced.

If you want website links to any of the above, just shout.

Last edited by The Stig; 05-09-2011 at 10:35 PM.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Smile

Quote:
As a result of your suggestion I'm awaiting a response from Paolo on the best price he can offer for some bits. Did they clear anodise your radial caliper brackets?
Paolo can facilitate any colour you like apparently...I chose clear and it looks great.
Oh dear I can see my RC51 becoming a money pit. That's the "trouble"; onc you start there is no end to it. But do we really want it to end?
Thank you for your very informative reply.
I love the MR bits and pieces! I may well have a closer look at their catalog at some point.....

Last edited by plasticmaggot; 05-10-2011 at 01:31 AM.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 02:02 AM
Lifetime Premium

Yeah, it can get costly. If I add it up, I could have bought a new Bimota now (Not that I would... if you think parts for RC's are hard to find, try owning one of those!!) but I wouldn't enjoy it as much as the SP2.

Don't miss out on the Turnone carbon airbox. It's pretty much a must. You'll understand once you've fitted it. Brett quit making them last year and has come back online now, but he might not produce this stuff for much longer.... It's one of the best mods you can make for the RC51 / money IMHO. The K&N filters don't fit very well to SP2's either...

Looks like I'll copy you and get clear anodised from Paolo, along with a matching rear bracket. Price for that's pretty reasonable too. Next, a nice rear caliper. Wonder if Discacciati will make a matching one to the fronts...
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah, it can get costly. If I add it up, I could have bought a new Bimota now (Not that I would... if you think parts for RC's are hard to find, try owning one of those!!) but I wouldn't enjoy it as much as the SP2.

Don't miss out on the Turnone carbon airbox. It's pretty much a must. You'll understand once you've fitted it. Brett quit making them last year and has come back online now, but he might not produce this stuff for much longer.... It's one of the best mods you can make for the RC51 / money IMHO. The K&N filters don't fit very well to SP2's either...

Looks like I'll copy you and get clear anodised from Paolo, along with a matching rear bracket. Price for that's pretty reasonable too. Next, a nice rear caliper. Wonder if Discacciati will make a matching one to the fronts...
Oh Oh my credit card is beginning to glow..... I may well have to look a bit more seriously into that airbox! What would be a reasonable price you reckon?
As for Paolo, if enough people show an interest in their products they well be persuaded to make other goodies as well for the RC51.
You mentioned gearing. I must be honest and admit I have no idea what the gearing is on mine. HM Racing put a renthal rear sprocket on on my request. Surely it would be the standard gearing? Is there much to be gained then from altering the gearing?
Have you considered a quick shifter? Man the banging in the open Sato's is worth the outlay on its own!
http://www.hmquickshifter.com/produc...egory.php?id=1
Next I may go for a race pattern.
What tires are you running? Mine is shodded with Pirelli supercorsa BSB tires. They wear rather quickly but warm up nice and quick.
Any interesting links you want to share? And what about some photos of your bike?
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode