Bike modifications you don't like - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Question Bike modifications you don't like

I often see nice bikes here ruined with ugly mods.

Just kidding.

There are a huge amount of bike modifications available today. With that comes personal preference, which is highly variable. This is a good thing because it means that many RC51s out there are different from the others in one way or another, even if it is small. And with personal preference comes people who like it or don't.

To pass some time and shoot the breeze, tell us what mods you do not like. I'm interested in seeing what personal preferences are more common and which are more rare than others. Be specific or be general. I know some of my preferences are in the minority.

None of this should be taken personal. And the debate should be lively and thus fun. Cheers.

I'll start it off with a few things.

I do not like rim stripes at all. Looks terrible to me.

I don't like the moto-gp mufflers on the RC51. It makes the proportions of the bike go out of whack. Big bike with tiny exhaust cans.

I don't like long exhaust on the bike, the ones that notably stick out beyond everything else at the back of the bike. This one is hard to avoid though. Still, some are better than others at not looking grossly long.

Last edited by kwtoxman; 05-02-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
I loathe pretty much any mod that was inspired by Super Streetbike magazine.
However, mods by Performance Bike magazine attract my attention.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I take a purist approach to my mods. Function over form every time.
What I don't like:
All the carbon fiber covers, for everything from the frame, stator and clutch cover, instrument cluster cover, etc. That stuff does nothing for me. Until Duckhunter came along and started making all his products, I was opposed to ANYTHING carbonfiber on my bike.
I've reconsidered and eventually would like a set of Red Carbon/Kevlar tank protector, Ohlins preload adjuster bracket, heel gaurds, and hugger. That's it. Functional Carbon/Kevlar Bling.

What I do like:
Ohlins front and rear,
5 spoke SP2 rims, or aftermarket lighter rims,
SP2 swinger conversion to SP1's,
Sato, LBP, Mori's, full size Ti cans ONLY on traditional lowmount. Never liked the high or banzia mounts.
I love shorty clutch and brake levers,
stainless braided front brake lines,
15/42 and 190/55
tall or touring CLEAR windshield, altho smoked is cool looking too,
Oh, and the most important ones of all for me, a Power Commander and HRC 1/6 throttle tube.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Blade levers, carbon fiber stickers, brand stickers, spikes, LEDs in places led mommas told there led kids to never go!!! This could get out ta control!

One thing I loathe about the stock rc is the front fender. I know its bulky appearance "fits" well with the fatness of the bike but damn do I shake my head when I see it at the wrong angle.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 05:49 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
The only thing that I have ever called out as a distasteful mod is the stretched swing arm. It's hideous and kills the corning performance.

Other than that I try to respect, at least the craftsmanship, of other's mods.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 06:02 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Bike modifications you don't like

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post
I'll start it off with a few things.

I do not like rim stripes at all. Looks terrible to me.

I don't like the moto-gp mufflers on the RC51. It makes the proportions of the bike go out of whack. Big bike with tiny exhaust cans.

Guess I won't be getting your vote for BOTM
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1399071590.168556.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	58050

I'm not a big fan of Chrome...too much flash with no added benefit. Like JD, I prefer function mods over aesthetic mods any day of the week.

Also agree with James...HATE stretched swingarms. Great for drag racing, but why own a bike then?

Also not a fan of LED kits on bikes...especially for our beloved RC.

2001 SP1 (sold)
2004 SP2 (properly stored)
2012 Ruckus (stolen)
2015 Grom (under construction)

Weyrauch pronounced (Y Rock)...Rock for short.

Semper Fidelis

Last edited by weyrauchrc51; 05-02-2014 at 06:12 PM.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 07:07 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Much has already been said so I won't repeat things like extended swing arms, wheel stripes, etc.
So thinking about other things specific to SP's... Don't get me wrong, I'm not being critical of anybody else's bike, just commenting on what I wouldn't do on my own bike. These are my thoughts:

I'm not a big fan of LED marker conversions to SP headlights, nor projector type headlights. They alter the looks of the bike in the wrong way, IMHO.

One sided exhausts. They look fine on one side, but take away from the proportions of the bike when looking from behind. The SP's always looked better with two in my eyes. The only possible exception being two silencers on one side.

Polished wheel rim edges. These to me give the impression the wheel got scratched up in a fall and someone's tried to hide it by polishing. I did the same on my enduro bike a long time ago...!

Ditto with wrapping headers. Just adds the suspicion that someone's hiding link pipe rash.

Scott steering dampers. I know people like their function, which is fine - Me, I just don't like how busy they make that part of the bike look. Would rather see an Ohlins, Matris, etc. on mine - if I were fitting one (Which I'm still sure I don't want).

Too many instrumentation add on's. Gear selection display, ditital temp diplay, sat nav, radar detector, etc. Again, takes away from the simplicity of the original "race style" display.

Crash Bungs. Because the fairings have to be drilled to fit using most SP kits.

Bar end mirrors. Prefer them in the original location, myself. Can't imagine bar end mirrors would be very effective, although I've never used them.

Bestem / Clever Wolf tank pads. They're probably effective, but just don't go with the original graphic designs. It's a good thing Duck is making more aesthetic alternatives now.

I'm sure there's more - but those are the main ones I wouldn't want on my SP.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I hate this:

The RC looks right with stock paint and stickers. I've seen other variations on here that look ok as well, but something as drastic as this is just terrible.

Also hate:
LED lights
Not a big fan of highmounts
I don't like the NH edition ( sorry, that polished frame is eh)
Extended swing arms
Anything chrome

Bikes:
2003 RC51
2004 CBR600F4i (sold)
2010 Triumph Scrambler (sold)
2004 VRod (sold)
2003 CB919
2004 600rr (sold)

Non Bikes:
2005 CTS-V (sold)
2007 JK Sahara
2004 GX 470
2011 E63
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Stig hit many of 'em for me ... except rim stripes

Has anybody mentioned swing-arm mounted, usually curved license plates?

Custom paint jobs. If it screams "NOT FACTORY", I almost always do not like it. Occasionally OK to look at on choppers ... almost never on sport bikes.

Edit: And on cue, ^ there's a custom paint job
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Hmm... I'm not usually a fan of custom one-off paint jobs either. It's difficult to improve on a manufacturer's design that professionals spent weeks on getting just right. The only possible exception are race spec designs. NH's was beautiful, as was (for the most part) J Dunlop's for example, I also go weak at the knees for the Cabin replica bike for some reason. Never really liked the Stars & Stripes design though. Again - too busy for my tastes...

I wonder how my TDR250 will turn out someday. I don't at all like the original decals, so I'll be forced to make something up to look cool. That'll be a challenge!

Oh yea - stickers placed in unlikely locations to hide rash & damage don't do much for me either.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode