PAIR and Flapper Pricing - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
PAIR and Flapper Pricing

hey gang, I got a quote from a shop last night to do the PAIR and Flapper mod for me. They quoted 6 - 8 hours or roughly $600 - $700. that seems high to me ?? Any thoughts ?

2001 SP1 - Code Name F-Bomb - PCIII USB / D&D High Mount System / 42T / EK SRX 530X / CRG Levers / K&N Filters / Stomp Grip / Rev Limiter Mod / Flapper Mod / PAIR Mod / Undertail / Hugger / 6K HID Lights / Speigler lines / Wave Rotors / CF Airbox / Shorai Battery - More to come, as soon as my slush fund get's more "Slushy" !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighp View Post
hey gang, I got a quote from a shop last night to do the PAIR and Flapper mod for me. They quoted 6 - 8 hours or roughly $600 - $700. that seems high to me ?? Any thoughts ?
Dude, it is so incredibly easy. I did it by using the DIY guide on ROGUE...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Hi Rob, I checked the guide, but am not that mechanically inclined nor do I have a garage with the necessary tools

2001 SP1 - Code Name F-Bomb - PCIII USB / D&D High Mount System / 42T / EK SRX 530X / CRG Levers / K&N Filters / Stomp Grip / Rev Limiter Mod / Flapper Mod / PAIR Mod / Undertail / Hugger / 6K HID Lights / Speigler lines / Wave Rotors / CF Airbox / Shorai Battery - More to come, as soon as my slush fund get's more "Slushy" !

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 12:43 PM

man its easy bro.. just print the guide and youl be fine with some basics. go to pepboys and get some tools.

2003 ZZR1200 - Galfer Lines, EBC HH Pads, Corbin Beetle Bags and Seat, Genmar Risers, Muzzy Full System. - Street.

2007 RSV1000R - Penske triple clicker, Ohlins forks, Ohlins steering damper, Leo Vince titanium full system, race ECU, Brembo mono-blocks, Braided lines, Race battery, etc.. - Track whore.

2004 Hemi Durango - Tow duty
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
What do you use the bike for? What are you wanting to get out of doing the mods?

What you would gain in performance, is not worth $700. For $700 you could get a one turn snorkel and air box, that would give you a lot better return for your money. But that's just my 2cents.
James
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Hi James, my use is mainly commute to work and some fun riding around town.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 01:37 PM

Raleigh,

Take a look at this link, it's basically a copy of the same link and do-it-yourself-instructions from the org site, only with better photos, and dumbed down instructions. You really don't need any special tools to do the job, and really, considering the amount of time needed you can do it on a patio or something without any real concern about having to leave the job half finished and your bike outside. Both mods you mentioned can be finished in a morning, and worst case the afternoon too. We'll get you through it mate!!

http://www.motophotos.com/rc51online...ds%20Page.html

Buy a set of these:

http://store.scottsms.com/Kyle-Racin...lates-0284.htm

or if time permits use JB weld or the like to seal off the PARE check valve cover. I used the JB weld, and actually my wife did it.

Honestly, you'll be so proud of the fact you did it yourself, not only do you gain a little more knowledge of your bikes inner workings, but you'll save a bunch of $$$ that you can put towards a good socket set and wrench set (stubby and standard lengths).

The tools you'll need. (This is for virtually every job on the bike btw, you don't need all this for these mods. You can almost get by with just a philips screwdriver and a 8mm and 10mm socket)

Our bikes use metric tools (mm). You'll laugh at how often you pull out the 8mm, and 10mm tools. Get a socket set, don't get the cheapest set, but you definitely don't need Snap-on quality (but it is nice, but expensive ) Get some extensions (2" and a 4") for your 1/4" and 3/8" socket and these sockets: 20mm, 22mm, 24mm, 27mm, and 32mm. Get yourself two sets of wrenches, a standard and stubby set. Get yourself a good multi bit screw driver (Picquick Screwdirver's are cheap and good), I like the ratcheting Snap on versions, but you'd don't need to waste money on that unless you like it. Grab a cheap set of metric allen keys. Total cost for a basic tool set up to do almost every job on the bike, $250 bucks, and with this site you can get the help you need if you get stumped.

Now of course, you don't need the stubby set right away, so that can wait. The additional sockets aren't needed for the two mods you mentioned either. Everything I mentioned, with a torque wrench will do pretty well every basic job on your bike, from removing the back tire to dropping your engine.

Don't let the stealers (dealerships) have all the fun. Go grab some tools, and we'll be here when you get back to do the mods.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by mtslesse; 06-11-2011 at 01:42 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighp View Post
Hi James, my use is mainly commute to work and some fun riding around town.
Hey,
Same here.

I grew up around cars and turn'n wrenches...so these mods were like tie'n my a* track boots
But for what we use our bikes for you wouldnt be able to tell much of a differnce from pre-mod to post-mod. But either way I would recommend atleast pulling out the flapper vavle from the snorkle. For that all you would need is a phillips screwdriver and a 5mm allen. All you would need to do is pull off the upper, the snorkle screen (4screws) and the screw that holds the flapper pivot rod. Really the hardest part of doing this is getting the wiring harness back in place after getting the upper back on.

No weight savings but the RC will be able to breath better.

Just take your time and double check everything before you move on to the next step. Trust me after your done you'll think "Wow, I was going to pay someone to do that"

But if you get stuck, ya know where to go.

James
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtslesse View Post

Don't let the stealers (dealerships) have all the fun. Go grab some tools, and we'll be here when you get back to do the mods.

Good luck!!!
+1

The more you work with her the more intimate your relationship will become and only good things come from that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode