HRC race exhaust fitment issues - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HRC race exhaust fitment issues

This will kind of act as my build page...sorry the photos are coming of the progress..things went very well...Great bikes to work on....

so here we go...

Looking at the rear suspension area..ie rear link, wishbone, and shock area. The wishbone or as it's described on the parts page "Rod Sub-Assy Part no. 52475-MCF-D30, seems to be contacting the HRC exhaust I have on both sides. There is about 5mm of space between the exhaust header on the left of the wishbone, and about the same on the right side near the connector. That's when the bike is sitting on the rear stand. When I take it off, and alone I can't really get a good look, but it looks like that space all but disappears.

so the questions...

Do the HRC bikes have different shaped wishbones than our bikes. I checked the parts pages and both SP1 and SP2 share the same parts.

Stig, we have the same exhaust systems, did you have to modify the wishbone or is there something I might have done wrong. I have noticed that the collar is a little wider than the rear suspension link I have, and I'm not sure if I machine down the collar to pull the wishbone closer to the suspension link (maybe giving me 4mm total) in to provide additional clearance (i'm thinking bad idea).

Also, Stig, is the master cylinder on the your brake side rearset higher than the OEM rearsets? It's the second piece interfering with the exhaust pipe that goes up and over the rear tire to the left side silencer. I know your using Babyface rearsets, I think I'll be getting a set in the very near future.

Any suggestions from everyone else, MORE than welcome...

I'll take a bunch of photos tomorrow of everything as it sits now. Sadly I have to go to work. I tried telling the boss I had a real life or death issue with my RC51, but he just asked what an RC51 was....bosses...lol

thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
LOL, Dude the HRC Factory racebikes don't share one part with the production bikes we have, literally not one bolt...

The only thing that was the same between a Factory HRC racebike and the one you could buy from the dealer was the bore x stroke numbers inside the motor.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 07:37 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
mtslesse, the HRC exhaust will lightly rub on the right side of the (SP2) swing arm.
You can lightly grind away a recess, or leave as is. Eventually the pipe will wear a grove by itself, which is only visible with the pipe removed. Being titanium the pipe won't wear at all.
There's no detriment to performance of the arm from the groove worn.

Can't help with question about standard footpegs, since I've never used them with this exhaust.
Babyface rearsets work well & are comfortable for long trips or track use.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Hi Stig,

I don't have any contact issues with my swingarm on the right side, it's simply very tight around the wishbone where the rear header pipe bends around from the collector to the rear exhaust port. I'm heading out right now to take some photos.

You wouldn't be interested Stig in taking some close ups of how your right side babyface rearset fit in relation to the pipe, so that I can see spacing. I looked at some of the photos you posted, I just can zoom in close enough to see.

Also, did you weld a mounting point on the right side of your sub frame or did you simply use the exhaust hangers off the silencers.

My most brilliant moment in motorcycle modifications --> I'm thinking that although the HRC exhaust systems were designed for the same factory bike, they were one offs, and differed slightly between each other. Wether it be for track layout, or engine components, changes between each pipe were there. I know I have two different diameter collectors, and head pipes for two different HRC exhausts. Sadly I don't have two complete systems. Just one and a half...sniff

LDH, I hesitate to comment on yours, but I do know that you have a wealth of knowledge, and would love to hear any advise you have. I am aware that the bikes aren't the same, and you'll notice my question was concerning shape, and not the two parts being identical. It's my goal to get this to work, and I do appreciate you chiming in. It's nice to get the guys with big time knowledge on board to help out! This is me trying to keep this thread positive

photos coming
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Here are the photos.

Yes those are elastics holding the silencers. They just help me hold them in position while I measure things up for the hangers brackets.

You can see the master and rear brake line mounting point on the stock rear pegs isn't going to work. So I'm wondering if you think the babyface will work here. You can see my left hand side pipe goes straight up from the collector and then 90s over to the left under the tail.

And the other shot you can see the pipe crowding the fishbone. It's tight under there. I have about 2-4 mm of space on each side depending on swingarm position. I'm just not sure how it will be while riding.

Any ideas for rearsets anyone, and thoughts about the fishbone clearance?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear shot with HRC Jardines.jpg
Views:	1068
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Installation 01.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Installation 03.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1463  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
The HRC bikes had a way different rear link/linkage and suspension.

LDH- will the Kyle rear link help sort this out any? i'm guessing not, but thought i'd ask.

Stig, Simon, or Thorsten are your best bet on this one. I think Thorsten has a way with ISR products to move that rear master.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

I do have the Kyle Link already installed, and I think it makes it a little worse. The more I compress the rear end, the more clearance I gain. As we all know the link kicks the ass end up a bit, which reduced some of the clearance. I think if I cut down the bolt by a 1/4" ( I have spares if it doesn't work, and what an easy fix if it works).

I re-installed the stock link to confirm the above details.

I think I'll be going with the Babyface rearsets, they seem to be set up the way I need them to be for a perfect fit. Wasn't planning on this extra cost, but I'm kinda excited, just don't tell my wife how much they cost...lol

I'm going to drop a line with Thorsten to see what he thinks...never thought of that, thanks GTS!

BTW, the bike sounds SICK, my battery was dead, so when it finally fired up, my wife nearly ran off it scared the $%R# out of her. The floors in the house were vibrating. My neighbour next door came over, thank god he loves bikes, but he said his house was shaking. I figure thats about perfect!! You almost have to yell to hear each other during all the leak checks, and such.

Bad Ass!!!!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
HRC exhaust bands might fit(if you dont have any) or just regular akrapovic oval carbon ones
and also there might still be the HRC akra exhaust mounts/stays in stock at HRC(but maybe you will need an HRC race seat subframe could be a problem-but they guy In japan has one fitted on his HRC kit system so maybe ok!
I can ask tomorrow if you want

and congrats on the exhaust!maybe the same source as that other Canadian guy selling the HRC stuff?good find!

Last edited by simonkobejapan; 06-19-2011 at 11:18 AM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Simon, Please do ask, I was looking at that this morning while sipping java, and thinking of different ideas of how I wanted to mount the system to the subframe. I do have Oval hangers for the cans, but I will most definitely need some mounts/stays to attach the bands to the subframe. I would love to add a little more of the HRC heritage to the bike if I can!! Thank you so much for chiming in!!! So you know, I'm still using the SP1 subframe, but would upgrade to the SP2 subframe to make these work if need be.

The other Canadian selling this HRC stuff is the one here? I found one thread "HRC parts galore for sale", thinking this is the one

My exhaust came out of the US, and was sourced more by luck through several friends in the WSB circle. It was just a case of...GEEZ...I think I have something cool in my garage from 10 years ago....maybe in a box...yep...I forgot about that...MAN THAT'S COOL....do you want it??

And of course we know my responce! Then we found all the engine parts in another forgotten box underneath the exhaust box...lol...this was all the HRC stuff to go with the exhaust, and then I only had to source cams and pistons in the end! Under cut the transmission,take a couple parts out here and there, port and polish, install and fired up like a true BEAST!

Last edited by mtslesse; 06-19-2011 at 12:20 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
mtslesse,

I don't have any other problems with clearance, other than where I mentioned above.

Below are the only two pics I currently have showing the rear-sets and exhaust arrangements either side.

The (Carbon on mine) exhaust silencer mounts are attached to aluminium hangers which simply bolt onto the (SP2) sub-frame. The CDI box had to be moved a little on mine requiring the harness be extended a bit (If you do this, make sure you solder the extended wires and shrink wrap).

If you do much mileage the fibre glass silencer wadding will eventually burn through and first discolour your carbon and eventually make it brittle and crack. Replace with titanium when changing your wadding and it won't happen again.

I bought all of my spare Akrapovic parts from http://www.harris-performance.com
fairly reasonably priced. They're UK distributors (Also bought my PVM wheels for them at a good price )
I ordered new springs, sleeves (Which come in a pack with stainless rivets, etc), wadding kits, etc.

As for the sound this exhaust makes - it's definitely immense! Get a Turnone airbox & snorkel with a good map for PCIII and it'll sound even better!

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode