side stand - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
side stand

my bike has the standard side stand. Now when the bike leans on the sidestand I am always fearing it will fall over. The stand appears to be slightly too short. Does anyone else have the same experience? Stig, I believe you have a sidestand with some kind of extension if I remember correctly. How did you achieve this? My Suzuki GSX-R1000 K5 has a much nicer and sturdier sidestand. So what to do?
PS one of the boys at HM Racing has ridden my bike with the new brakes and he said they are "unbelievable"....LOADS of feel and very very strong. I have not had a chance to ride it myself. It will be interesting what it will be like with a pair of Discacciati full floating rotors.

'06 SP2 ,PCIII, K&N filter, K-Tech revalved front forks, Ohlins rear shock with hydraulic edjuster, Crescent clip-ons, Brembo CNC brake master cylinder, Brembo CNC clutch master cylinder, underhung rear brake with CNC Brembo HP caliper, Style and Performance CNC radial fork bottoms, Brembo CNC monoblock radial front calipers, Power Bronze double bubble screen, Gilles rear sets, Gilles chain adjesters, HM Racing quick shifter with race pattern shift setup, Hot Bodies undertail, Super Corsa tires

Last edited by plasticmaggot; 06-18-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
yes there is an extendable sidestand available....especially if you have a rear link raising the rear of the bike, some bikes with the link mod have to have he longer stand. Will post up where to get it when i find it again.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
http://store.scottsms.com/RC51-adjus...51-K-S-kit.htm

i believe Ben at rc51parts.com can get them too.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks GTS455....

'06 SP2 ,PCIII, K&N filter, K-Tech revalved front forks, Ohlins rear shock with hydraulic edjuster, Crescent clip-ons, Brembo CNC brake master cylinder, Brembo CNC clutch master cylinder, underhung rear brake with CNC Brembo HP caliper, Style and Performance CNC radial fork bottoms, Brembo CNC monoblock radial front calipers, Power Bronze double bubble screen, Gilles rear sets, Gilles chain adjesters, HM Racing quick shifter with race pattern shift setup, Hot Bodies undertail, Super Corsa tires
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gts455 View Post
http://store.scottsms.com/RC51-adjus...51-K-S-kit.htm

i believe Ben at rc51parts.com can get them too.
Not only that, but it's made of forged aluminum as well.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
This can happen with a combination of uprated link, replacement shock at the rear & reworked forks as you have..

...But fitting the alloy side stand you'll lose the safety switch and it doesn't have the little 90 degree arm to help get the side stand down when wearing your boots..
Although it looked trick, I suspected it wouldn't work that well... So I chose to extend mine (Free modification )

Here's how to do it:
First on flat tarmac put spacers under the stand to know exact length you'll need to extend by. Remove side stand, measure carefully, mark so you'll know how much to extend later. Then scribe a straight line along it's length, cut the lower section (Closest to the foot of the side stand) in half, find an old bolt that you can cut and fit tightly inside to extend the exact desired length. Make sure the scribed line along the length lines up - this way the flat part on the foot of the stand will sit correctly. Now weld to make the new length and build up thickness around the bolt / insert. Grind off excess so you get a smooth finish, re-paint with a rattle can and refit.

BTW plasticmaggot - my parts from Style & Performance finally arrived this weekend. Well worth the wait. Now I need to find a nice 84mm sized racing caliper - I'll post some pics elsewhere, as I make progress with this.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.

Last edited by The Stig; 06-19-2011 at 10:07 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
...But fitting the alloy side stand you'll lose the safety switch and it doesn't have the little 90 degree arm to help get the side stand down when wearing your boots..
Yo Stig, I received my stand from Scotts a while back and it did have a toe piece on the stand.
Granted it was a long button-head bolt with heat shrink around the threads, but it should work ok for its intended use.

For myself, I don't use the side stand switch anyways as the previous owner sheared off the portion of the bolt that secures the switch, so I just zip-tied it to the frame.

So those who are looking for a longer side stand now have two ways to go.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Sounds like the toe piece was an after thought (Don't see one on the picture on Scott's website). I wonder if the pushing sideways will eventually cause the screw to loosen or damage the thread - I guess it depends on how deep it is.. maybe OK.

As long as it's not possible to use the starter motor (accidentally) with the bike in gear, it's probably safe without a side-stand switch.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode