Race Tech forks - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Race Tech forks

So, I work just down the street from Race Tech in so cal. My forks have been leaking horribly, so I took them in on Monday, and got them back today (Thursday). Kept the stock springs, but did the top-out spring conversion, compression and rebound valves, polish the tubes, and a rebuild, all for standard street riding. My first quick ride tonight was fantastic, less dive, easier to point and hold a line, and better feedback. I'm a very happy customer so far, thanks Race Tech!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 06:55 AM

forks can really change a bike dramaticly. I love mine
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Hey, that's good to hear Agent. I'm going to do the same thing in a few days. My local shop is WestCoast Motors. I've talked to Rob the owner a few times now, and he seems pretty cool. He's owned a couple RC51's and seems really familiar with them.

So, I'm not aware of the top-out spring conversion. Gonna search that. My seals are fine, but with almost 19,000 on the forks and not knowing any history of the bike prior to my rescuing it....

I think it was madbuyer that once said, 'and for god sakes, change that fork oil'. Kinda got me thinking

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

The top-out conversion puts shorter springs in with some spacers, it allows you to get a proper sag setting. The OEM springs are longer than most for some reason. If you put the bike in the air on a stand so the front wheel is free, you can actually pull the front wheel down out of the forks about another inch. I was told that makes setting a consistant sag nearly impossible. Either way, I'm really happy so far, need to put more miles on.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think on bumpy real life streets that top-out spring helps maintain contact. For race track use I suspect it is just added weight.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Clark View Post
So, I work just down the street from Race Tech in so cal. My forks have been leaking horribly, so I took them in on Monday, and got them back today (Thursday). Kept the stock springs, but did the top-out spring conversion, compression and rebound valves, polish the tubes, and a rebuild, all for standard street riding. My first quick ride tonight was fantastic, less dive, easier to point and hold a line, and better feedback. I'm a very happy customer so far, thanks Race Tech!!
Hi Clark, I just got a RC51 2006 model, i just rebuilt the front forks last night as they were both leaking.

I need to put fluid in the forks, I do not know what grade of fork oil and how much vloume of fluid per fork? can you help. There standard Forks on the bike..thank you
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGara View Post
I think on bumpy real life streets that top-out spring helps maintain contact. For race track use I suspect it is just added weight.
The RC51 has the longest top-out springs of any bike, around 115mm.

Most bikes have much shorter top-out spring of varying degrees of stiffness.
On some bikes, you can pull on the fork bottom and see the fork extend as the top-out spring compresses.
On others, the top-out spring is so stiff it's practically immovable.
On average, the usual top-out spring length is around 20-25mm.

A shorter top-out spring allows the forks to extend and maintain contact with the surface under hard acceleration instead of lofting the wheel.
It also keeps the forks from topping out harshly which can affect handling at speed and damage the forks.

Your shocks have top out springs as well (at least my Ohlins does). They're just not used much, unless the whole bike is in the air.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This is a really good video explaining the top out springs, kinda long but it goes into the details:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/6349484

Agent Clark: Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the spacer that they put into the forks actually for the fork spring, and not the top out spring? Putting a shorter top out spring and a spacer in there would negate the benefit of shortening the top out spring.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
This is a really good video explaining the top out springs, kinda long but it goes into the details:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/6349484

Agent Clark: Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the spacer that they put into the forks actually for the fork spring, and not the top out spring? Putting a shorter top out spring and a spacer in there would negate the benefit of shortening the top out spring.
The spacer is for the fork spring.
The top-out spring is inside the cartridge.

This is a photo of the Race-Tech cartridge.
The top is with the cartridge assembled and the bottom shows the damper rod and rebound valve out of the cartridge tube.
The two shiny cylinders are the fork spring spacers.
The small spring is the top-out spring, which is next to the rebound valve assembly.
The compression valve (non-RC51) is above the rebound valve assembly.

Last edited by SubSailor; 07-18-2011 at 07:39 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 03:15 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
The RC51 has the longest top-out springs of any bike, around 115mm.

Most bikes have much shorter top-out spring of varying degrees of stiffness.
On some bikes, you can pull on the fork bottom and see the fork extend as the top-out spring compresses.
On others, the top-out spring is so stiff it's practically immovable.
On average, the usual top-out spring length is around 20-25mm.

A shorter top-out spring allows the forks to extend and maintain contact with the surface under hard acceleration instead of lofting the wheel.
It also keeps the forks from topping out harshly which can affect handling at speed and damage the forks.

Your shocks have top out springs as well (at least my Ohlins does). They're just not used much, unless the whole bike is in the air.
This refers to the SP2. The SP1 are much shorter. There isn't a need to shorten the SP1 Top out spring.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode