Shock removal? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shock removal?

I did a quick search, but didn't find a whole lot of detail. I have a Kyle link and Elka shock to put on my RC, but only have a swingarm stand and front lift stand. Are there any home tricks you guys have used like jack stands that I can do to get the shock and link switched out? Is it all pretty straight forward? I'm really looking forward to getting these on finally since my forks just came back from Race Tech. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I've used jackstands under my rearsets. On the left side I had to disconnect the shift linkage to get the stand far enough under.
I used a regular stand, removed the rear tire/wheel, then put a 2x4 on the floorjack and lifted the swingarm untill I could fit the jackstands under the rearsets. It's kinda precarious. Not the safest but worked for me.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 11:35 AM

i did a similar thing by using puig frame sliders as a jack point

can anyone tell me how much fork oil the rc51 should have in standard forks?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
A cheaper alternative.
You can also use a piece of rebar or a steel rod that can fit through the swingarm bolt.
Then lift the bike and place it on jack stands.

Or, a better more expensive alternative, buy a paddock stand that lifts by the swingarm pivot.
That's what I use on mine.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis14685 View Post
i did a similar thing by using puig frame sliders as a jack point

can anyone tell me how much fork oil the rc51 should have in standard forks?
SP1 forks, 513cc +/- 2.5cc
SP2 forks, 498cc +/- 2.5cc

Or 135mm oil level without spring, measured with fork fully compressed.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Clark View Post
I did a quick search, but didn't find a whole lot of detail. I have a Kyle link and Elka shock to put on my RC, but only have a swingarm stand and front lift stand. Are there any home tricks you guys have used like jack stands that I can do to get the shock and link switched out? Is it all pretty straight forward? I'm really looking forward to getting these on finally since my forks just came back from Race Tech. Thanks
If you don't have rigid mounted footpegs, you can put jack stands under the stock rearsets, but it's a tight fit and will make removing the shock a little more difficult. I've never done this as it looked a little precarious from the pictures I've seen. I would buy some bar stock and do like mentioned above before I did that.

You can use a small bottle jack from a car between the rear tire and the rear fender. It actually makes it easier because you can get just the right distance between the shock mounts and not have any tension on the bolts. This also makes it so the swingarm isn't pulling down on the shock. Make sure that the bike is in gear, or use a zip tie to lock the rear brake. I don't use this method as I have jackstands and sato rearsets.

Other tips:

I leave the link attached to the bottom of the shock. It makes it a little harder to get it in and out, but easier to put all the bolts in and you won't have to work around everything to get the bottom bolt in the shock.

Use plenty of waterproof grease on the bolts, as they will be a bitch to get out later if you don't.

Loosen all the nuts while you have weight on the shock.

Use two ratchets with extensions for the top mount bolt. Makes it oh-so-easy.

If you are using the rearset/jackstand combo, put the bike on the front stand too as that will make it more stable.

I use a 2x4 under the tire to pry on and line everything up while putting the new shock in. I don't know what the steps are in the book off hand, but I put the top bolt in first as the lower ones are easier to work with once it's hanging off the top.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

I found a skinny steel rod in the garage and propped it up on jack stands, worked like a charm. Only un-did a few of the bolts on the fairings too. Having a magnesium wheel helped with working the swingarm around to get things in and out obviously, but it was all straightforward. I had to leave, so tomorrow I'll get the shock reservoir mounted up, the tail back on, and I'll be ridin! New tires in a few weeks and I'll be stylin!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you try and loosen up all related bolts/nuts while the bike is firmly on the ground you can avoid any accidents of the bike falling off the stands, whatever kind they are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode