sp1, sp2, judder spring, and barnett clutch - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
sp1, sp2, judder spring, and barnett clutch

Been doin a little research on the whole judder spring & seat for the SP1. It's been established that sp2 clutch discs & plates & judder spring/seat assembly will also fit into the sp1.

I just read a post from Waldo in June 2009 that he was going to do that conversion. Waldo, did you notice a difference, ie, disappearance of the occasional 'launching issue' some of us sp1 owners have experienced?

I'm close to needing a new clutch anyway, so I went to Barnett's site cause I was wondering about their applications for SP1 vs. SP2. My thought was to still add the judder stuff, but use Barnett discs and springs, not OEM. It looks like this will work just fine. I'll buy the judder spring, judder spring seat from an oem supplier. Then I'll order the Barnett Kit *303-35-20047 for the sp2. Here's their fitment chart http://www.barnettclutches.com/produ...clutch_cc=1000

Anyone see any problems I might be overlooking?

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
The SP1 clutch would often hook up pretty abruptly at times, so Honda incorporated the judder spring, seat, and associated inner friction plate on the SP2 to soften the engagement point to prevent shudder, or judder as they called it.

Physically, the clutch basket and hub are the same between SP1 and SP2.

The Barnett kit 303-35-20047 should include everything needed.
I'd call Barnett to just make sure so you have all that is needed to complete the job.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So what is really the issue with the sp1 clutch? Is it the springs or the plates? Would an EBC. Clutch and sp2 springs sort this problem?

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

You know, I bought the Barnett kit, with springs for SP1. Been running it for about 10,000 miles or so now.
I've had the clutch try to launch, or judder, only once or twice since then. It's still a bit of a surprise, but it's never got me into any situations or drama. More of a rare nuisance than anything.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 01:38 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
i got stiffer EBC springs for mine and it cured my touchy clutch

Honda SP1.5 owner
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 03:56 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I guess I missed this post back in 2011. Yes I did notice a difference. I also installed a Yoyodyne slipper.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Here's a perfect example of what some of us SP1 owners have experienced if our clutch system isn't in top notch maintenance.
Even after completely going thru my system, every thing from new internals in all cylinders, fluid flush, new clutch plates and springs, pazzo handle - I still get the occasional judder from my clutch. Usually only when I've been riding hard on older engine oil.

watch right at :37

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Judder is when the clutch is not quite fully engaged, but where some parts of the friction plate's material is beginning to grab the drive plates.
So it's a grab and release action. The closer to the full engagement point, the worse it may get.

Ever notice the springs in the hub of an automotive friction plate? Yep, judder springs.
Also, what many automotive clutch manufacturers do is incorporate a cushioning plate between the two friction faces.
This allows a form of deformation or "softness" to the friction plate to allow a more progressive engagement and less judder.

The judder spring design used on the SP2 and other bikes is more akin to the automotive cushioning plate in action by softening the friction plates engagement.
The rubber blocks used in cush drives more closely approximates the automotive judder spring in softening power transmission.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Now that I have some hard miles on my Barnett clutch, I'm definitely getting a lot more occurrences of judder under certain hot conditions. Even after a fresh oil change. It's easy enough to control since I'm downright used to it now, but annoying as hell!
My clutch pull doesn't feel as though it's getting softer, it feels as stiff as the day I changed over to the Barnett clutch. Except when I've been running hard. Then it definitely feels a little softer.
Maybe my rubber clutch line is partially at fault. It's located right by the radiator and may be picking up some heat making it even softer and more expandable?

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Now that I have some hard miles on my Barnett clutch, I'm definitely getting a lot more occurrences of judder under certain hot conditions. Even after a fresh oil change. It's easy enough to control since I'm downright used to it now, but annoying as hell!
My clutch pull doesn't feel as though it's getting softer, it feels as stiff as the day I changed over to the Barnett clutch. Except when I've been running hard. Then it definitely feels a little softer.
Maybe my rubber clutch line is partially at fault. It's located right by the radiator and may be picking up some heat making it even softer and more expandable?
Damn yesterday i saw a ss clutchline for $40.00 here or on zilla
can't seem to find it now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode