Front Fork Rebuild (2003) - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Front Fork Rebuild (2003)

Its time to have my fork seals and fluids changed so I figured it would also be a good time to have the values and springs re-worked. I ride weekends (canyons) and track days. The front forks have always felt like a weak link on the bike. Performance mods only work great if you can keep the tires on the ground and my fork have never really made me feel confident to push a little harder.

I am not sure if I should go with new cartridges (if any are made) or if just springs and valves are the way to go.

Anybody have any feedback on mods to their forks and maybe even a good shop in California who has done quality work?

Another option is to fork out some bucks and find a used pair of Ohlin's FG 832's.

Member thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 02:43 PM

I just had my forks rebuilt and revalved at Race Tech in Corona. I'm really happy with them so far, but I only ride it on the street. I was looking at the Traxxion Dynamics cartridges, but I work down the street from Race Tech, so it was an easier situation to just have them do the work. They have a cartridge kit also, but it costs a bit more than the Traxxion kit. Thats what I know...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Its a preference thing.

Race Tech is very good at what they do. My brother has a MMI alumni working their which is a very good thing for me

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone had Dan Kyle Racing do their forks? If, what was the experience like?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 02:33 PM

I just rebuilt my SP1 forks,just a chrome polish, bushes and seals.My budget only allowed for a set of Ohlins springs, but it made a noticeable difference.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
I have a set of Traxxion-Dynamics cartridges in my OEM forks.
While the Race-Tech cartridge kit very nice, the Traxxion-Dynamics cartridge kit was $400 less expensive ($999.95).
Comes complete with cartridges, valves, springs, spring guide, new rebound adjuster knob.
I haven't yet tried them out. But it will be interesting to compare.

I would say, try a set of valves first, then decide how far you want to go.
Better valves can make a world of difference.
If you have your forks completely apart you could have the sliders polished for less stiction.

Last edited by SubSailor; 08-02-2011 at 10:39 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 09:18 AM

I just rebuilt my SP-2 forks over the winter.
I installed Ohlins valves, cut down the top out springs, replaced the bushings, and polished the sliders.
Dan Kyle talk me through it all the way. He was a great help. SubSailor also pitched in and was a good resource as well.
Three track days since then. I'm still fine tuning, but now the deficiencies in the stock shock are amplified.
I started a post of my project. I should update it.
Here it is:

https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/sho...t=fork+rebuild
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

I ended up having the forks done by Race Tech in Corona. I had them do a full rebuild to include springs, gold valves, inner/outer bushings, seals, and fluids. Hope to take the bike out for spin soon and see what they feel like now. The service at Race Tech was great. They were very friendly and the tech (Tony) asked a lot of questions about me, the bike, and riding style so they could get them to the right specs. They even said that if something does not feel right and I have tried adjustments, I am free to bring them back within 30 days to have them go over it. I was actually going to send them to Dan Kyle but I was just impatient and wanted someone local I could drop it to and get back same day.

Just wanted to share my experience with you guys in case you are thinking about the same thing.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 09:22 PM

Yep, its nice to know I can ride or drive up anytime and for a check up or suggestions.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Had a quick question about putting the forks back on the bike. Does anyone know how much tube length should show above the stock top triple clamp? I forgot to see what the placement was before I pulled them off and I would like to get them back in correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode