2 Questions - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2 Questions

Hello,

I have a 2002 RC51 that came slightly modded from the previous owner. I'm attempting to "undo" the mods and get it back to primarily stock form but have hit two snags. The first is the gauge cluster. The previous owner altered the LED colors and now instead of the stock orange it's a blindingly bright blue color. During the day it isn't bad but at night it's so bright it's not safe. Does anyone know where I can get the stock LED backlights to put the gauges back to their original colors and brightness levels?
Second question is regarding the trunk lock. The previous owner had an undertail kit put on but for some reason never replaced the truck lock so I just have the cable hanging out of a hole in the undertail. If I buy a new trunk lock can it be rekeyed to fit my current key and if so is it something I can expect the dealer to do?

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
For the instrument LEDs, you may have to try and cross-reference some LEDs with a different color/output. Sounds like a trip to an electronics parts shop.
You'll have to disassemble the instrument panel and de-solder and re-solder the replacement LEDs.

Or, replace the panel with a used one. Try Ben at RC51Parts.com to see if he has one.
Easier to swap it out then waste time tracking down semiconductors and potentially ruining the board during the solder process.

As for the trunk lock, I don't think you can change the lock to fit another key.
I suggest you look for someone parting their bike out and see if you can grab the ignition switch, trunk lock, and keys.
Then all you have to do is order the special bolts for the ignition switch, or just replace the bolts with 8x25mm flanged hex bolts.

I recently lost my key somewhere, so I had to order the lock set kit, which comes with ignition switch, trunk lock, two keys, and special bolts for the ignition switch.
It wasn't cheap, plus I have to remove the current special bolts to swap the ignition switch.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soj17 View Post
Hello,

I have a 2002 RC51 that came slightly modded from the previous owner. I'm attempting to "undo" the mods and get it back to primarily stock form but have hit two snags. The first is the gauge cluster. The previous owner altered the LED colors and now instead of the stock orange it's a blindingly bright blue color. During the day it isn't bad but at night it's so bright it's not safe. Does anyone know where I can get the stock LED backlights to put the gauges back to their original colors and brightness levels?
Second question is regarding the trunk lock. The previous owner had an undertail kit put on but for some reason never replaced the truck lock so I just have the cable hanging out of a hole in the undertail. If I buy a new trunk lock can it be rekeyed to fit my current key and if so is it something I can expect the dealer to do?

Thanks for the help!

Hi There

The dash LED's are a PLC2 type, you can get them from a good electronics supplier.

I have changed them a few times on different dashes from time to time, here is a little how to that may help. It is more focused to changing out from OEM to any colour you like but sure it will clear up how itís done.
http://s1081.photobucket.com/albums/...arcwilson1972/

As for the trunk lock can you not fit an aftermarket one and have it set to your key? It only pulls the wire so guess any would do as OEM Honda will be £££ or $$$ as you say in the US.

Marc

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Thank you both for the help I really appreciate it. I did not know you could buy an aftermarket trunk lock for a motorcycle. Is there one specifically I should be looking for?

As the to ignition, if I buy one with a matching trunk lock and gas tank from ebay can I use the bolts and hardware from the one currently on the bike or is there something special about them that will require me to buy new ones? Where did you buy the lock set from, dealer or online?

Thanks again
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcwilson1972 View Post
Hi There

The dash LED's are a PLC2 type, you can get them from a good electronics supplier.

I have changed them a few times on different dashes from time to time, here is a little how to that may help. It is more focused to changing out from OEM to any colour you like but sure it will clear up how itís done.
http://s1081.photobucket.com/albums/...arcwilson1972/

As for the trunk lock can you not fit an aftermarket one and have it set to your key? It only pulls the wire so guess any would do as OEM Honda will be £££ or $$$ as you say in the US.

Marc
Marc,

Are the LEDS that light up the blinker light when you engage the blinker the same model number you listed (PLC2)? I need to adjust those as well.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode