How often.......clutch? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How often.......clutch?

How often do you have to change the clutch? I find I am slipping the clutch to get moving without lifting the front tire or stalling.

I am looking into fine tuning the PCIII to try and improve the driveability.

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Old & Slow Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport View Post
How often do you have to change the clutch? I find I am slipping the clutch to get moving without lifting the front tire or stalling.

I am looking into fine tuning the PCIII to try and improve the driveability.
I have about 16K on my stock clutch and zero issues of slipping.

BTW, what gearing are you running?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I have 20,100 on my stock clutch. No slipping at all, but an occasional grab and launch in first gear. never after a fresh oil change, but when oil has 1500 or so miles on it.
I forget, do you have a SP1 or SP2?

edit: I just re-read your intro. SP1 with 25k. mi. Since you don't know the history of the bike (i'm assuming) I'm not surprised about the clutch.

My plan for replacing my SP1 clutch is to install the judder spring and seat for the SP2. There's been a considerable amount of talk about it on this forum. If you search 'SP1 judder' you might find the threads. Just a suggestion...
btw, barnett is way cheaper than replacing with oem.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Last edited by jondog9; 08-12-2011 at 10:35 AM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the misunderstanding..............the clutch is in fine condition. The bike is down right "herky jerky" and exhaust pops below 3-3.5k rpm. I was worried about how long it would last do to slipping the clutch to get the bike rolling from a stop while avoiding getting jerked around or stalling. I suspect the power commander III. I am going to post another thread to ask someone to school me on working with the PC III. and try some of the maps I've downloaded to my laptop already.

I haven't had a chance to count the teeth on the sprockets yet.

Sean
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 07:17 PM

Sounds like you need some tuning pretty badly. My bike had Akras on it but no PC when I bought it. Ran fine, but backfired alot on decel. Put a programmed PC on it, and it runs a lot better.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Yep flashed a "canned" tune on it last night from the Power Commander website. It was for the high rise Jardine exhaust.

Runs better now. Specifically in the lower rpm, if I were racing the bike the tune the previous owner had on there would have been fine. Just "cruising"(I question if I can even use that term with this bike!) around it didn't really work so well.

Thanks for the help fellas and glad to hear the clutch does hold up well.

Sean
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
These bikes don't prefer to run in low gears (esp. 1st or 2nd) below 3500 RPM much less 3000 RPM while creeping through traffic.

They can do it, but you'll find it easy to get into a lurching situation caused by sensitive throttle action, light flywheel, abrupt fuel injection, and combined gear reduction torque and chain/gearbox lash.

It's not bad in a higher gear (if possible) where a high enough load can be put on the engine, but in lower gears (1st and 2nd) where there is plenty of gear reduction, it can be a pain.

I just disengage the clutch and allow things to settle down then reengage.
Otherwise, it's like riding a bucking bronco that does no good to bike or rider.

These bikes are like spirited horses that prefer to be given their reins to run. And run they do .
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 11:17 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
.... it's like riding a bucking bronco that does no good to bike or rider.

These bikes are like spirited horses that prefer to be given their reins to run. And run they do .
What he said!

I would call it a "thoroughbred". You don't just jump on & thrash it (like a 'blade) you have to be on the top of your game to ride it well.

I DID look up the clutch info, great stuff, I'm planning on doing the SP-2 conversion over the winter, after having suffered the odd embarrassment at the traffic lights from time to time.

My '01 Beast has 47,000km on the clock, still on o/f clutch, never had a slip despite me riding her how she was meant to be ridden, anytime conditions allow it.

Aslan K Freeman

My Intro + My Space + My YouTube + My Place
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Mine's gear down a tad, but in second gear it still exhibits the trademark balkiness. Kind of annoying when you're running around town, but once you get the hang of it, it's liveable. The high spirited nature is kind of an affectionate annoyance really.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode