Jimmy Chance Lightened Rotos - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jimmy Chance Lightened Rotos

Has anybody use Jinny Chance (http://qualitymachineco.com/) to lighten their rotors for less unsprung weight on the wheels? I has some extra cash and was flirting with the idea since it is fairly cheap. Post any experience you have or comments.

Also I see on his order form he says (Wave or AMA style). Anyone familiar with what AMA style means (http://qualitymachineco.com/Form/Order%20Form.pdf)? Sent them an email, but have not heard back yet since its still the weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 09:39 AM
Old & Slow Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorin41 View Post
Has anybody use Jinny Chance (http://qualitymachineco.com/) to lighten their rotors for less unsprung weight on the wheels? I has some extra cash and was flirting with the idea since it is fairly cheap. Post any experience you have or comments.

Also I see on his order form he says (Wave or AMA style). Anyone familiar with what AMA style means (http://qualitymachineco.com/Form/Order%20Form.pdf)? Sent them an email, but have not heard back yet since its still the weekend.
I have one on my 600 race bike and have had no issues with it for years. Way back when he was using a water jet machine to cut them I had hid cut my RC rotor. There was some quality issues with it (I think the rotor moved in the jig) and he promptly sent me a replacement rotor.

I have lots of friends who have been doing business with him for years and they keep going back!

BTW, The best mod he did for me was making my GSXR rear caliper captive. I can do a rear wheel swap in about 2min...or less!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 10:03 PM

My front rotors chatter, I wanted to replace them. I think I will look into this guys services I wonder if they can refinish and lighten them that would be cool!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Old & Slow Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysixgun View Post
My front rotors chatter, I wanted to replace them. I think I will look into this guys services I wonder if they can refinish and lighten them that would be cool!
I "think" he can refinish them but I don't think I would lighten the front rotors unless it's just for a show bike.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njracer View Post
I "think" he can refinish them but I don't think I would lighten the front rotors unless it's just for a show bike.
Oh so thats just a rear rotor trick? His web site advertises lighten rotors for race bikes. Yea I wonder about that though, you would think lightened rotors would probably warp?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Old & Slow Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysixgun View Post
Oh so thats just a rear rotor trick? His web site advertises lighten rotors for race bikes. Yea I wonder about that though, you would think lightened rotors would probably warp?
He does both but coming form the racing side of things, I would not chance cutting the front in fear of less stopping power and the greater chance to warp. If you want a cut rotor, get one that was designed from the get go..ala Galfer.

For the street, I would guess it would be ok unless you're using the street as you're ouwn personal race track.

FWIW, the cut rear rotor on my 600 has waay less stopping power vs. the stock one.

Attached is a pic of the GSXR rotor (on the wheel) and the RC rotor (which I had to send back).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00277.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1928   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00275.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1929  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 10:18 PM

Less stopping power, Wow I guess so. I'd say those rotors have very little friction surface.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode