Anyone fitted a radar detector to their bike? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
cwpSP1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana via the UK
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Anyone fitted a radar detector to their bike?

So it finally happened, I got my first speeding ticket on my SP1 (at least, here in the US). I came through a sweeping left hander, hit the exit and a cop was coming the other way. I had no way of seeing him or avoiding being caught. However, a friend told me to get a radar detector and I told him it would be useless on a bike as I have to look at where I'm going and not down at some gizmo beeping at me. He said you can get motorcycle mounts and use an earphone so you hear the beeps.

Anyone looked into this? Recommendations etc????

2000 RC51 SP1
2007 Yamaha YZ450f
2002 Yamaha YZ125 (sold)
2007 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2004 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (sold)
1996 Honda RVF NC35 (sold)
1983 Kawasaki KX60 (wrecked)
1982 BSA Scrambler (wrecked)
cwpSP1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chiba, Japan
Posts: 4,617
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
In the UK radar detectors were illegal...
So a long time ago whilst I still lived there I fitted one inside my helmet. A bit loud as it was next to my ear & annoying because I'd often forget to unplug it. Eventually from frustration, I binned it - as it would often give false alarms & be a pain to remember to connect / disconnect for each trip.

In Japan Police won't chase a speeding vehicle if it doesn't stop on request because it can endanger the lives of other road users. So my plate's horizontal. Just in case...

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
The Stig is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
madbuyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 8,335
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwpSP1 View Post
So it finally happened, I got my first speeding ticket on my SP1 (at least, here in the US). I came through a sweeping left hander, hit the exit and a cop was coming the other way. I had no way of seeing him or avoiding being caught. However, a friend told me to get a radar detector and I told him it would be useless on a bike as I have to look at where I'm going and not down at some gizmo beeping at me. He said you can get motorcycle mounts and use an earphone so you hear the beeps.

Anyone looked into this? Recommendations etc????
Damn and you didn't get it riding with me.....radar dectectors are useless.

Should have asked the cop to see the radar on what he clocked you at....bet he didn't get you until he turned around



The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
madbuyer is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
cwpSP1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana via the UK
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
Damn and you didn't get it riding with me.....radar dectectors are useless.

Should have asked the cop to see the radar on what he clocked you at....bet he didn't get you until he turned around
lol. Sorry mate.

He was driving in the opposite direction of me on a very twisty road. Once I whipped by him and saw his lights come on, I kept on riding until I found a safe place to pull over. I had taken my helmet and gloves off by the time he pulled up behind me. He said he clocked me at 82mph in a 50. I kept apologizing and he ended up reducing the ticket to 70mph. So punishment is minimal. I was tempted to give it some beans and keep going, he would never have caught me. But with divorce court and stuff, I don't need added legal crap!

2000 RC51 SP1
2007 Yamaha YZ450f
2002 Yamaha YZ125 (sold)
2007 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2004 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (sold)
1996 Honda RVF NC35 (sold)
1983 Kawasaki KX60 (wrecked)
1982 BSA Scrambler (wrecked)
cwpSP1 is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 07:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwpSP1 View Post
lol. Sorry mate.

He was driving in the opposite direction of me on a very twisty road. Once I whipped by him and saw his lights come on, I kept on riding until I found a safe place to pull over. I had taken my helmet and gloves off by the time he pulled up behind me. He said he clocked me at 82mph in a 50. I kept apologizing and he ended up reducing the ticket to 70mph. So punishment is minimal. I was tempted to give it some beans and keep going, he would never have caught me. But with divorce court and stuff, I don't need added legal crap!
you had to wait for him to catch up ? if you hadnt stopped then he wouldn't have kept following you.... to dangerous to the others on the road. hes lucky you did
white91formula is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chiba, Japan
Posts: 4,617
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Can't help thinking the same...
You could have gotten away easily by putting some distance between you then turned off the road and got off the bike with it out of sight.

Did he have video footage of you riding the bike? Was he accompanied?
Did he show you any proof at all?

Seems unfortunately you made yourself easy meat and as he probably felt sorry for you, he only did you for 70 mph.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
The Stig is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
cwpSP1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana via the UK
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Can't help thinking the same...
You could have gotten away easily by putting some distance between you then turned off the road and got off the bike with it out of sight.

Did he have video footage of you riding the bike? Was he accompanied?
Did he show you any proof at all?

Seems unfortunately you made yourself easy meat and as he probably felt sorry for you, he only did you for 70 mph.
Stig, not sure on video, not accompanied and showed no proof. I did make myself easy meat, but I just didn't want to take any risks with what I have on my plate right now. I've done one from the cops on a couple of occasions here in the last 6 months but it was on roads that I know very well. Ducked into some fields back in the day in England a few times too. I was also riding with someone else who was half a mile behind me. I was worried that if the cop pulled him instead, he might have crapped himself and thrown me under the bus.

2000 RC51 SP1
2007 Yamaha YZ450f
2002 Yamaha YZ125 (sold)
2007 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2004 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (sold)
1996 Honda RVF NC35 (sold)
1983 Kawasaki KX60 (wrecked)
1982 BSA Scrambler (wrecked)
cwpSP1 is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
madbuyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 8,335
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by white91formula View Post
you had to wait for him to catch up ? if you hadnt stopped then he wouldn't have kept following you.... to dangerous to the others on the road. hes lucky you did
Uhh, you don't know Indiana cops very well do you. They help to kill a few motorcyclist a year. I say help because you shouldn't run really, its much more fun to go to court and have the cops hard work reduced to a small fine and no points....



The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
madbuyer is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chiba, Japan
Posts: 4,617
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I'm not familiar with US traffic violation laws, but was quite familiar with the system in UK and how to avoid prosecution & more so in Japan now

As there was no video footage, he was going the other way and no other officer in the car, he had no proof unless you'd admit it. When asked what speed you thought you were doing, did you admit to being over the limit?

If asked in future, a good response would be to say is, "as it's a winding road I was watching what was ahead and not concentrating on reading the numbers on my speedometer".

Besides, when he pulled you up you weren't even on the bike and gloves / helmet removed. What proof did he have it was you?

You could probably contest the fine & points and likely win, unless you signed something to say you'd agreed you'd been speeding at 70 mph.

...He's probably hoping you'll just pay it and not contest.... hence reducing the speed.

Police don't usually like to go to court for something which isn't water tight. If they don't turn up, your fine is overturned automatically.

If they have nothing on you, you could ask for proof, calibration certificate for the radar detector and proof he caught you going above the limit the other way (Video fellow officer, etc) as you feel you weren't over the limit. You should also be able to see the evidence they intend to present prior to the court hearing. That is - if you can be bothered to take a day off work to contest it.

I'd have been gone, dissappeared, nada, niente... bye bye Mr. Policeman.
Just a figment of his imagination. Your friend would probably have been behind him anyways, as he did a U turn shortly after seeing you / he'd have seen the cop and slowed down himself anyways.

Feel sorry for you, but you can probably get off this if you want to.

In the event they cannot prove it, then they can't pin it on you. Simple as that.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
The Stig is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
cwpSP1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana via the UK
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
I'm not familiar with US traffic violation laws, but was quite familiar with the system in UK and how to avoid prosecution & more so in Japan now

As there was no video footage, he was going the other way and no other officer in the car, he had no proof unless you'd admit it. When asked what speed you thought you were doing, did you admit to being over the limit?

If asked in future, a good response would be to say is, "as it's a winding road I was watching what was ahead and not concentrating on reading the numbers on my speedometer".

Besides, when he pulled you up you weren't even on the bike and gloves / helmet removed. What proof did he have it was you?

You could probably contest the fine & points and likely win, unless you signed something to say you'd agreed you'd been speeding at 70 mph.

...He's probably hoping you'll just pay it and not contest.... hence reducing the speed.

Police don't usually like to go to court for something which isn't water tight. If they don't turn up, your fine is overturned automatically.

If they have nothing on you, you could ask for proof, calibration certificate for the radar detector and proof he caught you going above the limit the other way (Video fellow officer, etc) as you feel you weren't over the limit. You should also be able to see the evidence they intend to present prior to the court hearing. That is - if you can be bothered to take a day off work to contest it.

I'd have been gone, dissappeared, nada, niente... bye bye Mr. Policeman.
Just a figment of his imagination. Your friend would probably have been behind him anyways, as he did a U turn shortly after seeing you / he'd have seen the cop and slowed down himself anyways.

Feel sorry for you, but you can probably get off this if you want to.

In the event they cannot prove it, then they can't pin it on you. Simple as that.
Stig, the laws are quite different here in the US compared to the UK. I know this because I am from the UK but now reside in the US. I did respond with 'no idea what speed I was going due looking through the corner and not down at my speedo'. I told him I know I was going the speed limit but I did open the throttle slightly which could have easily pushed me up to the speed he said.

It's an easy one though. I just pay the fine, enter a deferrment program, pay some more money and as long as I don't get a ticket in the next 3 months, I won't have any points on my license. Job done.

2000 RC51 SP1
2007 Yamaha YZ450f
2002 Yamaha YZ125 (sold)
2007 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2004 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (sold)
1996 Honda RVF NC35 (sold)
1983 Kawasaki KX60 (wrecked)
1982 BSA Scrambler (wrecked)
cwpSP1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome