Brake Rebuild Kit ?? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Brake Rebuild Kit ??

Hey gang...after reading through all of the messages, I have a question and am not sure where to go to get the answer...so I will start here. You have all been very good at telling me where to go !!

I have decided to go with new rotors and speigler lines so i am good there. While they are off, I figure it is a good time to go ahead and powder coat my brake calipers as well. While the calipers are apart, I assume I should buy a Brake Re-build kit ? Is this something I can only get at the dealer or is it something I can source else where ?

All help is appreciated !!

2001 SP1 - Code Name F-Bomb - PCIII USB / D&D High Mount System / 42T / EK SRX 530X / CRG Levers / K&N Filters / Stomp Grip / Rev Limiter Mod / Flapper Mod / PAIR Mod / Undertail / Hugger / 6K HID Lights / Speigler lines / Wave Rotors / CF Airbox / Shorai Battery - More to come, as soon as my slush fund get's more "Slushy" !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
What's wrong with your stock rotors?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Hi LDH,
I do not think anything is "wrong" with them....just making upgrades. After seeing pic's of other bikes and talking with guys like yourself, I was of the impression the Galfer wave rotors are the way to go. with me being the 2nd owner on a 2001 Sp1 with 18K on the speed I figured it was time to make a change....That and I do like the looks of them...

2001 SP1 - Code Name F-Bomb - PCIII USB / D&D High Mount System / 42T / EK SRX 530X / CRG Levers / K&N Filters / Stomp Grip / Rev Limiter Mod / Flapper Mod / PAIR Mod / Undertail / Hugger / 6K HID Lights / Speigler lines / Wave Rotors / CF Airbox / Shorai Battery - More to come, as soon as my slush fund get's more "Slushy" !

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Galfer wave rotors are crap.

I've seen way too may of them warp even during street use. I won't even sell them anymore because I don't want the potential headache of having to deal with an irate customer... The proper tell-tale though is in the racing circles. You will see a lot of pre-season professional race team pics with wave rotors on the bikes etc, but when it comes time for race day rarely will you see them installed on the bikes...

Go with Brembo or Braketech and you will never regret your purchase.

I'm assuming you already have a Brembo Master Cylinder installed on the bike.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

I will take a look when I get home. My bike is pretty much stock and if Brembo is what came stock, then that is what I am running. Can you give me a link to your store for reference for future purchases ? So far I have been going to my dealer /rc51 parts and sourcing online

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
http://www.cyclecentralpowersports.c...2003&fveh=3622

Best place online for replacement OEM parts, prices are cheaper than everywhere else. Most brick and mortar dealers will be at about 100-150% of the msrp listed on the site above.

That link is for a 2003, and the 2001 may be different.

Last edited by b.miller123; 01-09-2012 at 02:46 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks B Miller !! Great friggin prices !!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To answer the OP's question you might as well do the rebuild if you're taking the calipers apart anyway. Usually all that consists of is replacing the piston seal rings and any other rubber seals between the calipers. You can get those rubber o-rings and dust seals from any online Honda OEM dealer, if the piston cups are scored you might as well replace them as well.

Figure all the rubber bits on your bike are 10 years old, replacing them can't be a bad thing.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Hey Raleigh, I'm going to be doing a complete brake caliper rebuild too. Front, back and both master cylinders. I'm sure I'll be using the site that Miller gave out, cause I lost my dealer discount that I my buddy used to get. That site is within pennies of my old discount of 25%.

I'll post my shopping list in this thread, maybe it'll help you figure out what you want to do with yours. All the internals of the brake calipers are original on my bike. I rebuilt my Clutch master and slave cylinders, that's what clued me to the fact that rubber bits in my bike are due for changing.

Listen, about upgrading, I run the Galfers too. So do some others on this forum. I had slight visual runnout on one of my stock rotors, so a new set was in order. The Galfers have performed perfectly for me. Granted, I'm easier on my stuff than any track person, but for the street. I don't doubt mine for a second. They're better than what I had before for sure. (cause they're straight) On the other hand, gts455 hated his. And it sounds like LDH has heard his share of feedback too. But I think SubSailor runs them.

Check out my recent thread on Galfers. Why do Galfer discs suck?

One last thing; I've read as an opinion from some who would know, that for factory brakes, the RC51's are about as good as any that come from any factory. If I'm wrong here, please chime in. But I've read that a couple times now. ???

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Look into the Yanashikis too....great pricing, great quality.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode