RC51 Forums banner

Front engine mount bolt

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  madbuyer 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I wasn't sure where to post this, so I guessed here. I'm trying to remove the front engine mount bolt on my SP1, the one that sits under the radiators.

Does anyone have any advice on how to remove it, because I cant get it to move at all. Tried some gentle persuasion with a mallet, jacked up the engine up to try and take the engine weight, used wd40 and other similar penetrating agents.

Thanks

Matt

#3 · (Edited)
I've removed the nut on the right and the locking nut on the left, I just can't get the actual bolt to budge at all. Any ideas?

Nut removed is number 23 and number 18, bolt I want to remove is number 9

Thanks

Matt

#4 · (Edited)
If he just wants to remove the front hanger bolt to install crash bungs, he only has to loosen the front engine hanger nut (item #23) and then remove the front hanger bolt (item #9).
He shouldn't have to bother with the engine adjust lock nut (item #18) and bolt (item #17) unless he plans to remove the engine.

I wonder what may have happened is the engine was resting on the hanger bolts when the adjust bolts and nuts, and then hanger nuts were tightened.

Otherwise the hanger bolt may be corroded in place.

I have an SP2, which does not use engine adjust bolts and nuts.
But even then, my front hanger bolt did not want to easily slide out.
I made sure I put a light film of grease on the bolt when I reinstalled it to prevent possible corrosion.

#5 ·
Get a brass punch and give it one good shot. Like Sub stated, it shouldn't take much to remove. I have installed several crash bobbins with little to no effort removing this bolt.

Make sure to use a little anti-seize lube after you get this out.;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.