2002 SP2 with Engine modifications??? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2002 SP2 with Engine modifications???

Hey Ladies and Gents,

This is my first post on here, nice to meet you! I have been a member for a while and have been doing a lot of reading on the RC51. I have wanted one since they came out and I stumbled upon one the other day, and I want it. Bad. But it is modified motor wise. My main concern is reliability. I am not near talented enough to ride a stock bike to its full potential, so I don't NEED more power. At all. The bike is a very clean 2002 SP2 with 12K miles. Here is what has been done to it:

- Power Commander
- Flapper Mod
- Aftermarket Head Pipe
- Jardine slip ons
- Heads are ported and polished
- 12.8-1 domed pistons (J.E. Pistons)
- Re-geared up two in the rear
- Rear tire is down one size

(Does this sound like a track day toy?)

The dealer wants 5k OTD. Does this sound like its worth it? One thing that scares me is how much motor work there has been. Or am I just getting worked up over nothing? Supposedly all the work was done at a VERY reputable local bike mechanic. But who knows. Any way, Let me hear your thoughts. Thanks for reading.

Also, for those who are still reading (lol) the previous owner had the rear swing arm powder coated, installed an external cooling fan switch, the pistons and heads are ceramic coated, there is a sticker kit on it, and new tires. I am really excited about the prospect, but also some what concerned as it is a lot of money. Thanks again,

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Hey Josh, welcome to the forum buddy.
5000 out the door with those mods seems fair. That is about the average price. Mileage is not bad either. The pistons and fan switch lead me to believe it probably was a track bike, but can't say that for sure.
I don't think there are many if any members on here that will ever be able to ride a stock RC51 to its full potential. So don't feel bad. I don't think it will be too much bike for you, just take it easy and learn the bike.
If you are really serious, ask for the local mechanic's name and go talk to him. Would not hurt for future questions etc. always a good contact to have when you have questions or issues with your bike.
You don't see to many RC51's with motor modification, yours will have a few extra goodies most on the forum do not have. Be aware though the reliability suffers a little bit but honestly it doesn't have TOO MUCH done to it so it won't necessarily be a "light bulb" motor and burn out. If it had cams to go along with the pistons i'd be a bit more worried.
Post up some pics of it, if its clean and has no issues, i'd say its a good deal. You could always just keep looking if you want an unmolested motor. Hope this helped.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Hig
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Echoing what gts455 has said, I would just make sure you do your own investigating with the bike when you look at it. Any signs of it being laid down? Free spinning wheels? Chain properly lubed and tightened? The little stuff can usually point you in the right direction concerning the bike's life. Not sure why the PO powder coated the swing arm unless it's a different color. Was it rashed?

I'm not too concerned about the motor mods and other small things done as besides the P&P and pistons everything else seems pretty common amongst the RC51 convent. I would heed gts' advice and seek out or research the mech who did the mods, he might not remember doing it but his reputation will tell you if he's somewhat trustworthy.

Good deal, 5thou for a 12K sp2 with solid motor mods...sound like the perfect platform for beginning a new chapter of RC51 mania.

2001 #62. Ohlins rear/valves, Micron high mount, HyperPro damper, SharkSkinz, Tyga billet triple clamp, Tyga Carbon Fiber fender and hugger, Ti bolt/custom subframe/alien motion 8 cell diet, 15/41 520, COP conv. PCIII, Venhill lines, modified air box, turn signals in headlights...<deep breath> ZG Touring windscreen, Tech G rear sets, CRF450 rear master w/HRC cover, Tokico 6 pots w/V-pads, CRG Bar end mirrors, PSR Shorty levers-use only clutch, wanna-be basic racer paint, Roman Gold PC wheels

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Walk away if you are unsure....just go with your gut here. gts gave some sound advice here.

As for the engine mods and how that increases the value, bullshit. This is why you see countless folks on here off load their goodies before selling their ride. (exhaust, damper, wheels etc...)

I wouldn't even give that consideration, especially when there is anice 2004 NH edition on here for $4500

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 08:12 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
Walk away if you are unsure....just go with your gut here. gts gave some sound advice here.

As for the engine mods and how that increases the value, bullshit. This is why you see countless folks on here off load their goodies before selling their ride. (exhaust, damper, wheels etc...)

I wouldn't even give that consideration, especially when there is anice 2004 NH edition on here for $4500
I agree 100 percent.

The only reason i would even take into consideration something like the engine mods is if it's something you know you are going to want to do in the future and it's not something you can get easily or do on your own, and lastly if you know the person who did the work has a good reputation and knew what they were doing. But Madbuyer is right the mods have no value when selling a used bike.

You should go with that Nicky.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 08:14 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gts455 View Post
I agree 100 percent.

The only reason i would even take into consideration something like the engine mods is if it's something you know you are going to want to do in the future and it's not something you can get easily or do on your own, and lastly if you know the person who did the work has a good reputation and knew what they were doing. But Madbuyer is right the mods have no value when selling a used bike.

You should go with that Nicky.
Unless you know for sure there are some unobtanium HRC parts in there....then pull the hammer Like someone else we know would!

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
Unless you know for sure there are some unobtanium HRC parts in there....then pull the hammer Like someone else we know would!
haha and just who are you refering too?

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode