Steering Dampner - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Question Steering Dampner

Hi gang,
Can someone explain what exactly a steering dampner does ? I do not do any track riding, nor do I really push my RC as hard as most of you...so can someone break it down "Barney Style" for me ? Is it something I would use..or is it just a cool thing to have ?

thanks in advance...Kirk out !

2001 SP1 - Code Name F-Bomb - PCIII USB / D&D High Mount System / 42T / EK SRX 530X / CRG Levers / K&N Filters / Stomp Grip / Rev Limiter Mod / Flapper Mod / PAIR Mod / Undertail / Hugger / 6K HID Lights / Speigler lines / Wave Rotors / CF Airbox / Shorai Battery - More to come, as soon as my slush fund get's more "Slushy" !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Basic description (not my words): "a damping device designed to inhibit an undesirable, uncontrolled movement or oscillation of a vehicle steering mechanism, a phenomenon known in motorcycling as 'wobble', or in extreme cases, a 'tank-slapper'. Modern motorbikes are unlikely to exhibit this behavior in daily use thanks in part to better dampers and due to their very stiff front ends and other general improvements in design and tire technology."

Think it's safe to say that if you don't track it, you probably won't need one. Others will probably agree. Only exception would be if you truly rode it (on the street) like you stole it, lol.

Lee - 2000 RC51 #000090

Last edited by AV8R27; 02-06-2012 at 10:18 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Basic operation of a Steering Damper is a shock absorber for the handlebars..
If you leaned over in a curve, and hit a rock. The handle bars jerked, If you didn't have a Damper. the bars would be allowed to move freely (probably faster than you could react) The damper slow the action down(gives you a chance to react)
Also the Damper is a MUST have for higher speed riding.. The chances of Tank Slappers is greater..
Opinions of needing a Steering Damper vary..

All my bikes are equiped with a Scott Damper

Last edited by 1971allchaos; 02-07-2012 at 06:58 AM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I like them and use them on all my bikes. I do track ride, but i also like them for those instances on the street when you hit a rut or bump at speed which may result in a tank slapper.....but others disagree. I will say that it is not necessary on the RC, as it is a bit of a bigger bike and is pretty damn stable.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 04:27 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Even after raising the rear and dropping the front in combination with a suspension (& link) rework, although it made the steering a bit quicker, I haven't felt the need for a steering damper. I ride fairly fast when conditions allow (Habitually) and also do the odd track-day.
Aside from a very occasional wobble on the bars, there's no dramas. Fitting a damper can slow the steering, which isn't really a characteristic I'd want to encourage on mine!

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

well cool...thanks guy's....I will place this on my list of things "Down the road"

2001 SP1 - Code Name F-Bomb - PCIII USB / D&D High Mount System / 42T / EK SRX 530X / CRG Levers / K&N Filters / Stomp Grip / Rev Limiter Mod / Flapper Mod / PAIR Mod / Undertail / Hugger / 6K HID Lights / Speigler lines / Wave Rotors / CF Airbox / Shorai Battery - More to come, as soon as my slush fund get's more "Slushy" !
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I rode my bike for the first 2 or three months without one. Then found a great deal on one and installed it. The nice thing about scotts is that you only need to buy the mounting bracket for all your bike's, then you can swap the Damper back and forth to what ever bike your riding.
I ride my bike like I stole it (within my ability of course) and could tell the difference with the damper. I like it, gives me a little security, and it plain ole works.

However, I completely understand Stig's point too. Seems like his bike is set up to the extreme, to turn fast, so I see how the damper could hinder that.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 11:03 AM

with exception of my old CX500 every bike I've owned has had some sort of damper, be it oem or aftermarket. When I picked up my RC I immediately could feel the difference of not having a damper as it steered so much more easily at low speeds. After about 2 months of ownership I was riding around and gassed it hard coming out of a lean (bike is -1/+2, PCIIIr, Satos). As the front end got light I could feel the oscillations through the bars as it wanted to initiate a tank-slapper. That was enough convincing for me to get a damper. Not much later I sourced a nice used Scotts and have been happy since. I will feel much better about the front end once I finally get this piggy on track for the first time too.

Last edited by dasrider; 02-07-2012 at 02:07 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 02:48 AM

Miss mine................ Had a CBR600f2 track hoe that after a tank slapper hard enough to push the pistons back into the calipers (thank you for lots of run off). Put a Hyperpro on before the next race made the bike feel so much tighter. Still getting used to my RC (approx 2500KM) on it so far but with the torque of the Vtwin have felt the tremble in the bars coming out of a corner or two so I know it's a sooner than later purchase for me. Honestly though haven't even really set up the suspension for me yet either, guess since I decided I'm keeping it that'll have to get added to my list of preseason tasks.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 06:06 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
A damper is like insurance, you won't really know how much you need it until your bike is in pieces.

A properly set up steering damper (it's not dampener) with high and low speed damping circuits will not slow steering at all. Scotts recommends that you set the low to where you can barely feel it while stopped, and pretty much leave the high setting alone. I might post a video of mine saving me on the track at about 100 mph, but it is hard to tell since they are very transparent in how they correct problems. It just feels like the bike rights itself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode