Projectors - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Projectors

Hi guys, i was wondering if the ebay projector kit has been tried and tested b4. Not sure what brand it is but im pretty sure u guys have seen it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130512083430...ht_3153wt_1018

Now i would go straight custom, but the only thing i worry about is having to make a bracket fot the projector. Ive heard that some prjectors can still use the stock hardware to fit, if any more info is known pls lmk thx

Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 05:49 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Don't bother. Those aren't real projectors. Head on over to the hid planet forum and look into what is recommended for motorcycles.

If you do a search on speedzilla you will find two guys that have recently done the retrofit. One used Infiniti fx projectors, and one used morimoto's. "the retrofit source" is where more people buy their stuff from, or eBay. The morimoto's are the ones that are easily installed because they can fit into the existing bulb socket with minimal modifications compared to other options.

Putting Hid's into a headlight that never had them, is really only done right with projectors. (sorry, but the kits are complete crap and will never compare to real hids in projector housings designed for hids). This means custom work, and making square pegs fit round holes. If you aren't comfortable doing this kind of work, there are places that will do it for you. You can count on a quality dual retrofit to cost you at least $300 in parts. For someone else to do it can add a few hundred more.

Last edited by b.miller123; 02-10-2012 at 05:52 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
Don't bother. Those aren't real projectors. Head on over to the hid planet forum and look into what is recommended for motorcycles.

If you do a search on speedzilla you will find two guys that have recently done the retrofit. One used Infiniti fx projectors, and one used morimoto's. "the retrofit source" is where more people buy their stuff from, or eBay. The morimoto's are the ones that are easily installed because they can fit into the existing bulb socket with minimal modifications compared to other options.

Putting Hid's into a headlight that never had them, is really only done right with projectors. (sorry, but the kits are complete crap and will never compare to real hids in projector housings designed for hids). This means custom work, and making square pegs fit round holes. If you aren't comfortable doing this kind of work, there are places that will do it for you. You can count on a quality dual retrofit to cost you at least $300 in parts. For someone else to do it can add a few hundred more.
yea i had a feeling they were crap, i appreciate the feedback. Im pretty sure i can tackle the project, just need to dive into it.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 01:01 PM

+1 on what b.miller says. I'm assuming he's referring to me off speedzilla because I did my retrofit recently with the morimoto projector. I had my own obstacles to overcome with fitting the morimoto's in the housing. The biggest problem (literally & figuratively) was the size of my shroud. I got the bullet shroud and it was huge! I made it work but ended up having to ditch the oem reflector that I should have been able to use. I did have to make my own brackets from some scrap aluminum I had sitting around. Not impossible but definitely some trial and error on my part. HID planet was a very helpful resource - I'd start there doing the research.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasrider View Post
+1 on what b.miller says. I'm assuming he's referring to me off speedzilla because I did my retrofit recently with the morimoto projector. I had my own obstacles to overcome with fitting the morimoto's in the housing. The biggest problem (literally & figuratively) was the size of my shroud. I got the bullet shroud and it was huge! I made it work but ended up having to ditch the oem reflector that I should have been able to use. I did have to make my own brackets from some scrap aluminum I had sitting around. Not impossible but definitely some trial and error on my part. HID planet was a very helpful resource - I'd start there doing the research.
Cool, I've done research on it before, the only part I'm not sure of s making a bracket for whatever I use, but I have a machinist friend so I'm pretty sure I can get it done. If u have some ideas of what I should do opinions are accepted. Thx again

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 02:00 PM

Best advice I can give is to be 100% sure the projector beam is level and flat before you put the glass back on the housing unit. You'll have to test fit things a couple of times before it's right. I didn't think about double-checking the projector level before putting it back together(doh!) and now mine is off a few degrees. It's not a huge issue but it annoys the piss outta me everytime I start the bike since the morimoto lense has a very sharp cutoff. This goes along with fabricating your brackets. It really was just measure, cut a rough shape, test fit, trim, test fit, trim some more and so on. A dremel tool will be your best friend. My custom brackets definitely weren't anything fancy, I rattle canned them black so you wouldn't be able to see them anyway.

Also, when I made my brackets I reused the black rectangular screw adjuster pieces (you'll see what I mean when you take the housing apart). By reusing them and the screws already in the back of the housing you'll maintain the ability to adjust the light beam l/r and up/down just like oem.

Check theretrofitsource.com and get the dimensions of the Bullet shroud. Then be sure whichever one you end up using (assuming you use a shroud) isn't as tall as it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Best advice I can give is to be 100% sure the projector beam is level and flat before you put the glass back on the housing unit. You'll have to test fit things a couple of times before it's right. I didn't think about double-checking the projector level before putting it back together(doh!) and now mine is off a few degrees. It's not a huge issue but it annoys the piss outta me everytime I start the bike since the morimoto lense has a very sharp cutoff. This goes along with fabricating your brackets. It really was just measure, cut a rough shape, test fit, trim, test fit, trim some more and so on. A dremel tool will be your best friend. My custom brackets definitely weren't anything fancy, I rattle canned them black so you wouldn't be able to see them anyway.

Also, when I made my brackets I reused the black rectangular screw adjuster pieces (you'll see what I mean when you take the housing apart). By reusing them and the screws already in the back of the housing you'll maintain the ability to adjust the light beam l/r and up/down just like oem.

Check theretrofitsource.com and get the dimensions of the Bullet shroud. Then be sure whichever one you end up using (assuming you use a shroud) isn't as tall as it.
thx for all the info

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 08:47 PM

I'm going to hijack for a moment if you don't mind. I'm wanting to do this too, but is there a way to run both lights at the same time, and is there a way to do a high/low in each light?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrjames View Post
I'm going to hijack for a moment if you don't mind. I'm wanting to do this too, but is there a way to run both lights at the same time, and is there a way to do a high/low in each light?
This guy did a dual setup on his: http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/hon...ids-my-rc.html

I had enough issues fitting the wire harness and ballast for one projector on mine, I am curious where he found room for two ballasts? Technically there is no high/low beam as it's always the same light output intensity on a bi-xenon projector. The high beam switch simply activates a solenoid that retracts a flap and changes the light pattern.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
This guy did a dual setup on his: http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/hon...ids-my-rc.html

I had enough issues fitting the wire harness and ballast for one projector on mine, I am curious where he found room for two ballasts? Technically there is no high/low beam as it's always the same light output intensity on a bi-xenon projector. The high beam switch simply activates a solenoid that retracts a flap and changes the light pattern.
One of the guys that did both headlights used one of the slim ballasts from ??? and slipped them under the headlight housing. There is a tiny bit of room between the headlight and that black plastic piece that goes under the nose.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode