Eyebrow blinkers revised - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Eyebrow blinkers revised

So i am guessing the eyebrow blinkers are not a new thing since the bike i got had a version of them already done. Suffice it to say that it must have been before LEDs became more popular and easy to get becuase what was on my bike was like 6 LEDs on a strip and of the twelve total between both 'brows' i think 3 worked, the WHOLE setup was homemade. Meaning lots of sodering and trips to radio shack. end result be unrealiable, poorly visable and not really nice to look at.

Anyway, i liked the idea but new they were in need of a retrofit, so here is my take on it. i am mounting some flushmount on the fairings but know the flushmounts don't offer much in the visability of SIGNALING my intentions. this eyebrow mod should make up for where the flushmounts leave off, i hope.

i tried to make some of the LED strips work that you can get at autozone etc. that would be great with the adheasive back but they were a little bulky and couldn't get as much light to project as i would have liked. no go for me.

start with some sacrafcial LED flash lights. they run on 3 aaa batteries I think i bought like 6 of these for $8 (with batteries) when i was x-mas shopping a couple years ago.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0357.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	2348
remove batteries and push LEDs out the front. save lens for template.

had to sarafice the the busted lens out of the yota since i had no orange paint or anything for the lenses that came out of the flashlights.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0302.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	2349

use lenses out of flash light as a template to cut yota lenses with dremel. glued yota lenses on led cluster with super glue, thin CA, epoxy etc. then finish sanded around outside with dremel disk to make flush with cluster. i glued the smooth side of yota lens to LED housing. Soldered wire leads on back of cluster.

Name:	IMG_0303.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	2350

cut the remaining triangle portions out back of eyebrow. chain drilled, then used utility knife, then finish sanded with dremel disk. lined opening with aluminum tape (for more reflection).

Name:	IMG_0304.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	2351

fit light in holes. fits nicely in the corners. notice leads (kinda small hope they hold up) positive soldered on center of LED cluster (where spring was) and negative to outside diameter. there is like four spots around circumference for negative solder point.

Name:	IMG_0307.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	2352

at the attachment limit. to be continued..

Current steeds: 2000 RC51 SP1, 2002 KTM 520EXC, 2001 YZ250f
Road bikes I used to own: '03 Bandit 1200s, '02 ZZR1200, '00 Guzzi V11 Sport, '97 H-D 1200c sportster (don't judge me).

"If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything".

Last edited by dnsducks; 02-20-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

okay.. so i needed to make some backing plates to close up the back of the eyebrow hole. I guess you could use plexiglass lexan etc. but i just used the backing plates that were already there from the first LED install. Just back the plate with aluminum tape. i would have used some chrome spray paint but couldn't find any local. i tried "brillaint silver" it was hardly brillaint. infact the al. tape was more reflective.
you can see the battery i used to check connections etc sitting next to backing plate. I expect the lights to be even brighter once wired to the bike. it was much brighter just using 3 AAA pack that came with the flashlights.. like 50% brighter. all the following phots are using the single a23 battery.

Name:	IMG_0308.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	2353

angle flashlight LEDs slightly inward (toward center of bike) to pick up the full triangle of the eyebrow, but mount how you want. Just make sure it looks how you want before glueing light in place with epoxy, CA glue whatev. just make sure area where the light cluster is touching eyebrow frame does not have aluminum tape or it wont stick.

Name:	IMG_0305.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	2354

Name:	IMG_0306.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	2355

after getting lights mounted in place and glued throw the backing plates on and RTV in place. that is all.

Name:	IMG_0309.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	2356

sorry if this is a repost on an old idea.. i just thought i would share since i didn't bother doing a search before doing it..

Best,
D

Road bikes I used to own: '03 Bandit 1200s, '02 ZZR1200, '00 Guzzi V11 Sport, '97 H-D 1200c sportster (don't judge me).

Last edited by dnsducks; 02-20-2012 at 12:36 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 12:52 AM

I'll give ya an a for effort. I like the planning and execution.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

thanks. i was actually planning on using the LED strips that have the adheasive back but they just weren't bright enough i thought. this was just kind of a "what the heck, why not try it" and it worked out nicely.
i am not planning on wiring these as running lights although you could i guess?. they are going to be wired as blinkers only for me. i like the look of the stock lights. you cant tell that they are even in there when they are off with the exception of the corners being slightly lighter from the al. tape backgrounds.

Last edited by dnsducks; 02-20-2012 at 10:35 AM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have a set of these used as rear turn signals currently, and they are plenty bright. I've thought of picking up a few more and using them for the eyebrow lights, but that is low on my list of things to do. At $10 a pop, they are cheap enough. They are already waterproof and wired for 12v with long leads.

http://www.oznium.com/super-bright-12v-led-module

Oh, and if you want more amber tint to your lights, you can get some clear amber tint that is made for model cars. I think Tamiya makes it in a brush on or spray can. There was a guy that used it on his proton signals, and it turned out well.

Last edited by b.miller123; 02-20-2012 at 10:22 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

nice. those are cool too. it is all about the light output for blinkers IMO. some led strips an be cut down to fit your needs, you just have to cut on the cut lines.

i was thinking of using the ELECTROPOD amber 6 LED clusters for the back as it looks like the undertail that comes with the hong kong plastic kit has an area to mount some.. not sure how well it will work though since i don't have anything in hand yet and not sure how weather proof the electropods are?

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Seems like a lot of work, looks good though.

There are kits out there.. this is the one I am using RC51-Eyebrow-LED Just pops in the hole..

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 07:48 PM

So are you guys complete removing your front blinkers from the stock locations? If so what are you putting over the left over hole in the fairing?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 07:51 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysixgun View Post
So are you guys complete removing your front blinkers from the stock locations? If so what are you putting over the left over hole in the fairing?
My old RC, I ran both side and eye brow....

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
My old RC, I ran both side and eye brow....
+1 Run both.... You want to be visible from the side too, No..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode