help me buy a power commander - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
help me buy a power commander

so i have been doing a little research. looks like the power commander 3 USB is the way to go with an SP1?? Not really sure if you can use an SP2 commander on an sp1? set me straight.PLEASE!
also been seeing some used PC3USBs on ebay etc. and want to know what i need if i buy one of these units if they don't come with the software disk etc. just the commander.... how hard will it be do download maps etc via the internet??. especially since this software is only supported by XP. The least of my PCs has XP in my home. is there and upgrades, or way do down load maps with windows 7 etc??

i have got some sweet 2bros carbon cans on this machine that sound sooooo sweet but smell FAT. if any one can point me in the direction of a good map, i would be greatful. With a puny tank on the RC51 I want to make sure that i am in the right state of tune fuel/air as close as i can be.

Best,
D

Current steeds: 2000 RC51 SP1, 2002 KTM 520EXC, 2001 YZ250f
Road bikes I used to own: '03 Bandit 1200s, '02 ZZR1200, '00 Guzzi V11 Sport, '97 H-D 1200c sportster (don't judge me).

"If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
How about ponying up for a dyno pull with a custom map??

Check the PC website, there are plenty of downloads there.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
A pc3 for a 2 will work on a 1 as long as you load a map for a 1 and pc for a 1 will work on a 2.

Ya get all that?

+1 on for a pull or 2

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
As long as the PC is for RC51, it doesn't matter. Just get the right map for your bike. That does matter a lot.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 10:30 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You can get everything you need for changing maps off the dyno net website. Just get a USB model, much easier then messing around trying to find the right USB to serial adapter and the USB model has better map resolution.

Oh, and I think the software works with windows 7 too. I put it on the wife's new laptop last year sometime. I can double check if you'd like.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
You can get everything you need for changing maps off the dyno net website. Just get a USB model, much easier then messing around trying to find the right USB to serial adapter and the USB model has better map resolution.

Oh, and I think the software works with windows 7 too. I put it on the wife's new laptop last year sometime. I can double check if you'd like.
+1000R exactly !!!

I have 7s on my laptop and working on my PC all the time......the USB model is much better and faster......you can store the map in it with the engine running on the dyno with just a click on your mouse.......

My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

AAAAAAAHHHHHSUUUUUUMMMM!!!!

You guys nailed it. My biggest concern was with the software/ operating system interface. seeing that there is a disk that comes with the new unit (pc3usb) made me worry that i needed to download software or something.?? not being able to download maps and get them to the PC3 was my biggest concern, using windows 7 etc. this is great. So i just have to worry about picking up the unit and then getting a map that is close from dynojet, rogue, or 2bros. can anyone speak of the quality of the 2bros maps? they have some listed on the their site i noticed.

and yes.. i plan on springing for the trip to the the dyno tuner and get it mapped custom. one day at least..
So who is a good dyno tuner here in oregon? Hansens MC in medford has/had a dyno but they pretty much quit using it cause they couldn't afford upkeep or training people or something?? so i am open to suggestions.... hopefully not too far a ride for me. norcal works too.

again thanks all for your responses. VERY helpful. now i just need to bag a cheap PC3.

Best,
D

Road bikes I used to own: '03 Bandit 1200s, '02 ZZR1200, '00 Guzzi V11 Sport, '97 H-D 1200c sportster (don't judge me).

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 12:52 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnsducks View Post
.....My biggest concern was with the software/ operating system interface. seeing that there is a disk that comes with the new unit (pc3usb) made me worry that i needed to download software or something.?? not being able to download maps and get them to the PC3 was my biggest concern, using windows 7 etc. this is great. So i just have to worry about picking up the unit and then getting a map that is close from dynojet, rogue, or 2bros. can anyone speak of the quality of the 2bros maps? they have some listed on the their site i noticed.......
When I bought my 2Bros low mount slip ons, I visited here for the software (cuz usually the CDs in the packages are outdated) and then I visited here to download the SP2 maps package cuz I may own an SP1 but I have installed the SP2's throttle bodies and ECM.
I uploaded the 114-003 map but below the 4000rpm the bike became quite lazy (rich mixture) so after uploading it and test rode her, I used the 3 buttons combination on the PC III usb to make it a tile leaner at the LOW rpm range. I removed the flapper hose and plugged it too and the bike is quite good. Not optimal performance though but I don't have the money to research her mixture tuning further on.....in due time, I will.
What matter to me is that:
1) She doesn't run lean
2) I love the throttle response as a weekend fast touring bike
3) She doesn't consume her ass off

IMPORTANT
Before you upload the map or do anything on your PC after you have installed it, follow the Dynojet's instructions to calibrate your TPS (throttle position sensor) in the PC III USB.

Quote:

Last edited by MakisRC51; 02-22-2012 at 12:56 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

great stuff Makis. it sounds as though we are likeminded when it comes to this machine. I have posted a question about the sp2 TBs exactly in the engine mod section.
This bike is not know for its great fuel economy so every bit helps especially if there is some ponies to be had whilst doing it.
i will use your instructions as a guide when i get my unit. that will help a lot.

Many thanks,
D

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 01:16 AM
Lifetime Premium

Whatever I did, the fuel consumption was really reduced when I changed my rear sprocket to a 42. That's because you don't have to twist your right wrist much until you feel the bike's reaction.
Right now I am testing different front and rear sprockets to find the ideal combo for
1) Highway speed
2) Mountain cornering with small right hand twists
3) Affordable fuel consumption

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode