F Bomb vs. The Airbox - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
F Bomb vs. The Airbox

Hey gang....I am starting this thread to chronicle my before and after of getting a CF Airbox. This won't happen over night, but I will update as often as a I can and as $$$ allows.

Thus far here are the obstacles in my path

1st / Baseline Dyno Run - Going today to have this done - will post results
Airbox - Bidding on a pre-owned box now - Will post once I have it
Airbox Install - Will post once I can afford to have it installed
2nd / Dyno Tuning - Will post results

Mods so far - No "real" mods to speak of, but I want to make sure what I have done is documented for this experiment/experience

Soft Rev
D&D Full system
Flapper Mod

stay tuned !!

Kirk out....

2001 SP1 - Code Name F-Bomb - PCIII USB / D&D High Mount System / 42T / EK SRX 530X / CRG Levers / K&N Filters / Stomp Grip / Rev Limiter Mod / Flapper Mod / PAIR Mod / Undertail / Hugger / 6K HID Lights / Speigler lines / Wave Rotors / CF Airbox / Shorai Battery - More to come, as soon as my slush fund get's more "Slushy" !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Look forward to seeing the results sir and thank you for taking the time to do this.

Are you having the bike custom mapped with the current configuration before the airbox as well?

If the map you have now isn't optimized and then you do a custom map with the airbox then it is still not showing the actual gains from the airbox alone.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Wow...good feedback LDH...I hadn't thought of that. I will talk to the tuner and see if we can do a baseline today....get the box installed, do another pull and see what just installing the box did for me.

Then I will have the following -
Baseline Dyno Figures
Baseline Airbox Installed figures
Custom Map figures

That will give me 3 points of reference ....thoughts ?

2001 SP1 - Code Name F-Bomb - PCIII USB / D&D High Mount System / 42T / EK SRX 530X / CRG Levers / K&N Filters / Stomp Grip / Rev Limiter Mod / Flapper Mod / PAIR Mod / Undertail / Hugger / 6K HID Lights / Speigler lines / Wave Rotors / CF Airbox / Shorai Battery - More to come, as soon as my slush fund get's more "Slushy" !

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 02:52 PM

That will work.

Ideally you really would want a custom map done with what you have and then another custom map done once the airbox is installed. The additional expense is hard to swallow and I don't blame you one bit for not wanting to follow through with that route, but that would be the most accurate way of discerning the gains in an apples to apples fashion.

That has been my issue all along with all the aftermarket airbox threads. I keep seeing 6-9 horsepower gains AFTER they add an Airbox and then they claim the airbox is responsible for the gains, but the dyno charts once the final tune is done look no better than the final charts I have seen or personally made with custom mapped Sato Slip-ons or Akra Full Systems with the stock airbox...

If the customer isn't optimizing the map and getting all the possible horsepower out of the bike to begin with, but then installing an aftermarket airbox along with a custom mapping that does get all the possible hp available then you get a false report of what the airbox is actually contributing to the final numbers.

Don't misconstrue I do believe the higher capacity of the aftermarket airbox should be a performance benefit, but I have not seen the actual numbers done in a way that truly verifies the results.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 02:56 PM

Just for the sake of it I should also point out that I have also falsely inflated numbers on an SP2 by forcing air from the blowers down its throat and altering the fuel map to compensate for it. The dyno chart was damn impressive, but in real life with actual windspeeds attainable through normal riding conditions the bike was so rich it almost instantly fouled the plugs and had virtually zero throttle response...
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
The additional expense is hard to swallow and I don't blame you one bit for not wanting to follow through with that route, but that would be the most accurate way of discerning the gains in an apples to apples fashion.
You could talk to DK and have DK Racing support this event

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Who is DK ?? and hell yeah....anyone wanna throw me some money to move this along quicker...feel free to do so !!

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

LDH brings up a good point. One that I had always wondered about when seeing airbox dyno charts. But the same can be said for exhaust. Nobody ever goes and gets a bike with stock cans and a power commander tuned before they throw on a slip on and get that tuned. Sure they may pull a baseline with the stock exhaust and maybe the stock map from dyno jet, but it is the same situation. Inflated gains due to proper tuning on top of parts, and not just parts alone.

This is why you will never see an advertised "guaranteed" increase, only an "up to XXX more HP". All those maps you see on exhaust manufacturers websites and in magazines are after hours of tuning and fiddling to get the best numbers possible vs a stock off the floor bike.

Oh, and DK = Dan Kyle

I've actually given some thought to getting a map for the stock airbox, as i am not too sure how long I will keep the turn one box. I am planning on moving back to Seattle and am not as comfortable with an open style box in wet weather. I'm probably over thinking it though.

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Ok...got the results.

123.89 HP ....will post the full Dyno Charts tomorrow

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode