3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Garage
thermostat delete

I'm looking to install my Moriwaki airbox and I'm told I need the Moriwaki therstat delete fitting.

My question is, can deleting the thermostat lead to overheating? I plan for this to be a street bike that sees track days.

I've done in cars. The drag race cars did fine with it. The street cars didn't.

2004 BMW R1150SR Project Touring Bike (in-work)
2005 Honda RC-51 SP-2 - future track tool
2014 Ducati HyperProject (Hyperstrada)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
No the bike actually runs cooler without the thermostat, in some cases too cool and you end up taping up part of the radiator just to keep the bike over the 168° warm up cycle range.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
OK, thanx for answering my question.

So this means forget the Mori airbox for the street?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadToTheBown View Post
OK, thanx for answering my question.

So this means forget the Mori airbox for the street?
I cannot answer that question for you. If you live in a very cool climate area or ride to work very early in the morning when it's cool then the thermostat delete might not be the best choice for your needs.

The Moriwaki airbox is a race type modification and doesn't really do much for performance without substantial engine mods, but it does save about 8 or 9lbs of weight as I recall. In the grand scheme of things that isn't that much of an improvement especially for a streetbike, but if you are one of those guys that wants every last ounce of weight savings then it is a good mod.

I've been there and done that more than once now and my latest SP2 track only build has the OEM airbox, OEM air filters and an OEM size Lead Acid Battery. I've learned that those weight saving mods aren't really the end all be all of what makes the RC51 a desirable bike to ride. The suspension mods are what make it fun and compliant, not the weight reduction plus with all those OEM parts it is easy to tune and I don't have to worry about the aforementioned issues like taping up the radiators to keep heat in the engine etc. I just want to ride the bike more and work on it less.

If you really want to save weight on the bike then go for lighter wheels. You not only get lighter parts, but you are reducing the gyroscopic precession of rotating mass which GREATLY aids the performance of the bike.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Sounds like we're cut from the same cloth.

The engine has HRC pistons, Mori stage 2 cams/springs/porting/etc. and a full Akra exhaust, so the airbox seemed like a good idea (came with the bike in a parts box).

I do ride to work on very cool mornings, so, it sounds like I need the thermostat, which makes sense to me.

You're also correct about the weight but that probably won't stop me from wasting money to make the bike lighter when I could easily do better at getting from my present 201 lbs back down to 180 lbs.

I plan to go with Kyle Racing upgrade for the forks and his Ohlins shock out back. I already have the SP-2 link.

I also got the RC Component Daytona wheels with it. I like PVM or Italian wheels more but these came with it and they are about 5 lbs lighter than stock with noticeably less inertia (weight seems to be more towards the hubs).

I just found out the box is fiberglass (thought it was carbon fiber), so maybe I should mod it. DHC is going to make a snorkel for me after the first of the year, so I've done as much for the engine as I'm going to do.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 01:07 PM

Every set of non-billet cams I have seen put into service on the RC51 eventually failed and grenaded the top end. Wasn't a matter of if, but merely when.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Oh I feel much better now....These have several thousand miles on them but I've read this since they are cast. I don't see where to get billet cams anyway. He didn't put the good rods in either, still stock.

So do these just snap going down the road or hard downshifts or what?

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadToTheBown View Post

So do these just snap going down the road or hard downshifts or what?
I do not have that answer. I have never had it happen to me just people I know and customers. They were all in race bikes so I am going to say they were likely running them hard, but regardless I cannot think of one single engine that survived with non-billet cams.

Billet cams have been made by a couple different sources over the years, but expect them to be in the $1800-$2200 range.

The cast Mori cams that were notorious for being munched were in the $700 range.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
And I thought my BMW boxer stuff was expensive...thanx, more good news...

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
the best thing to do with an rc51 engine is leave it the fuck alone.

if you want a high horsepower twin just go buy a Ducati.

for the money you'll sink into destroying any reliability the engine came with for limited gains that still fall short of the modern twins you could have bought and built something way better.

the 51 is a character bike, not a peak performer, you can get them handling very nicely and make them a joy to ride, focusing on horsepower is doing the thing a disservice.
CapeCodderRC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode