help moving clutch reservoir? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
help moving clutch reservoir?

Sorry to ask guys since there are a lot of posts about raising the clip ons, but I've been reading about this for weeks and don't seem to get very far. Basically, I've recently gotten over a pinched nerve in my neck and don't want it to return, and also just like long rides (Phoenix is as flat as a pancake and any mountain or curvy rides are a long day's round trip). I need to get the bars raised. I've settled on Woodcraft, maybe Apex or Dan Moto clips ons but know that issue is with the clutch reservoir. I'll install lengthened braided lines for the brake but need help with the clutch side. I might try flipping the bars too but I don't think that's ideal in the long run and would possibly waste hours.

I'd like to keep the stock controls but then need to move that clutch reservoir. This one looks good but I can't figure out how to clamp the hose and fitting into the master cylinder.

For some things like this I like to keep it looking as close to factory as possible at least from the view while riding.

Can anyone help with what parts I'll need to do this? I'm not cheap and don't mind spending money on a good solution but again, I'd like to keep a factory look for the brake and clutch stuff.

TIA!

I do like the look of these aftermarket controls and would be willing to do this if needed but I'm not sure the it reduces the clearance issue enough. http://a.co/4C8LOs6
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reservoir.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	128413   Click image for larger version

Name:	levers.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	128415  

Last edited by DaveJB; 07-19-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
If you change the master cylinders , you need to use MCs with the same size pistons. It's a hydraulic ratio that should be kept the same , especially the brake. If you just change or move the reservoirs , you could make brackets easily enough.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
you can't move the clutch reservoir as it's part of the master cylinder. instead of googling, go to your bike and look at it. it's very clear that you can't just move it. lol

you'll have to purchase a clutch master cylinder that uses a remote reservoir.

beware raising the bars much at all as front fairing clearance is very low.

the 51 is no tourer

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

EDIT: damned confusion. I was talking to RedFlash since your post wasn't there when I was replying.

@Red Flash Good point on the first, I just saw that seller has a specific version for the RC51. It's the the moving the reservoir part that I need help with. If someone has done this, what do I need to do? I've seen mention of having done it but not how to do it. I've been doing my own auto and bike work all my life (I'm 46) but have never messed with hydraulic fittings etc.

Last edited by DaveJB; 07-18-2018 at 10:55 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 07:42 PM

dave, get off the internet and go look at your bike. it can't be that far away. the reservoir is bolted on to it. you can't move it.

you would have to get a new clutch master cylinder. that's the end of the story.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 07:51 PM

It IS a remote reservoir that's only connected by a hose and a little mount. Replacing the entire MC isn't necessary unless you have your heart set on the ones you pictured with the reservoir built it. There isn't any pressure on the hose to the reservoir , but if you need to change the hose , it's got to be brake fluid compatible.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 07:55 PM

@Red Flash

wanna show me where the hose is on this guy?

https://www.mototech271.com/02-honda...-22890-mcf-016

the reservoir bolts directly to the master. you can't make it remote.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 08:22 PM

My apologies , I was picturing the brake.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

I have, while ON the internet found in at least two places people referring to modifying the stock clutch controls. I'm not quite sure what the 2nd guy is talking about but the first seems like it's what I'm looking for. But these threads are so old and on another forum. I was just asking to see if anyone here had done it and if they could explain better. If not, I guess I'll join fireblades.org and see if I can dredge these guys up.

"You can also modify your existing stock unit and make it remote by machining out the current rousivour holding well and replacing it with a push in Nissan after market kit that makes the unit remote. This will give you the clearance you need."

and

"There's also another revelation I discovered in relocating the clutch reservoir. You need to order the outlet for the BRAKE side and its O-ring. It fits into the clutch master cylinder perfectly but there's no c-clip to hold it in like there is on the brake side. You have to machine a stay that allows you to use the stock screw to hold down the outlet and an MSD coil boot as a dust cover."
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 10:55 PM

ok, if you want to do some machining then you can literally do anything. i didn't realize you had access to machine tools.

if you do, then build it however you want, you don't need the internet to tell you anything?
Red Flash likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode