Anyone running Water Wetter? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone running Water Wetter?

Just bought a 2003 RC51 with 17k miles on it. The guy I purchased it from said he flushed the radiators, and substituted a mixture of water(hopefully distilled) and "water wetter". Here is the link to the site for this stuff: http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp
What do you guys think. Is this setup okay? Or do i need to flush the radiators again and go back to standard coolant?

Also what temps are "normal" for summer riding? So far it has been running anywhere between 170 to 220. But it went up to 245 at one point! This seems too hott to me. Am I wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 04:51 PM

if your riding in town and its hot outside seems about the norm. the 245 is alittle high. I run the honda HP coolant in mine. seems to work well for me down in south texas. It was right at 100 f today. oh how I love hot days
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen03RC View Post
if your riding in town and its hot outside seems about the norm. the 245 is alittle high. I run the honda HP coolant in mine. seems to work well for me down in south texas. It was right at 100 f today. oh how I love hot days
ha ya Im in So Cal so I know how you feel. summer is upon us, and I am not excited.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 04:18 PM
kip

hey man! I just did put the red line water wetter into my bike today. From reading around I have come to the conclusion that the water wetter with the distilled water is the best to use for your bike. Im from San Diego so I know I wont have to worry about freezing anytime soon!! Im going to take the bike for a spin today so I will let you know how it works.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 11:59 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
No. Distilled water is second best. It still has some traces of dissolved minerals that can clog your radiator over time.
Tap water is the worst to use. Tons of dissolved minerals.
The best water to use in cooling systems is deionized water. It's 100% pure H2O.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

well i took the bike into honda today, and had them flush the cooling system and switch me back to Honda recommended coolant. Even if it doesn't run any cooler now, at least I will have peace of mind.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:48 AM

I'm using NPG+, but it required some effort to flush the system completely and modify the cooling system (pulled the thermostat and modified the housing that the radiators are the only path for the hot coolant). Fans are reversed and switch controlled. definitely more effort than installing engine ice which i have in my 636.

I think it saves some weight and space too as i don't need the reservoir/overflow tank.

Hard to say what temps i run, but i dont think i have gone over 200F yet...or even 190F for that matter. I have jethot coated header and cans.

I havent ridden it enough in sustained traffic to get it really hot. I've only done long cruises on it so far i just put this stuff in recently.

Before i did any mods, i saw temps around 240F...

Last edited by jh4db536; 08-06-2009 at 01:53 AM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 03:01 AM

i did the engine ice and am about to do the fan mods my self. the engine ice dropped me a little but here in az if it is hot everything get hot and if the bike does not get enough air flow the highest min has gone is 235
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 10:19 AM

Water wetter is a great product. I run alittle mixed with my coolant and don't see above 220 then the fans come on and sitting in traffic it hovers around 207.

FYI 245 is way to hot. At 250 that thing will shit coolant all over the road and then your in trouble. If you get that hot again you need to pull over and shut her down.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Destilled and deionized

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor
No. Distilled water is second best. It still has some traces of dissolved minerals that can clog your radiator over time.
Distilled water is absolute H20, if there is anything else in it then it is contaminated distilled water. When you boil water and bring it to a gas and then by cooling it liquifies into H20. All contaminants and solubles stay in the heating tank.

Quote:
Tap water is the worst to use.
I agree! Depending on the source there will be a variety of stuff in it.

Quote:
The best water to use in cooling systems is deionized water. It's 100% pure H2O.
Deionized means it has no ions in it, it is therefore not conducting any electricity and thus it stops electrolysis (which will corrode dissimilar metals in your engine by carrying particles from one metal to the other.
Yes that is a good thing, but there may be non-conducting solubles or contaminants in deionized water that will stick against real hot surfaces of metal (like around the exhaust port of the head).
Deionized water is filtered water that goes through a process (I think intense magnetic fields) that reduce the ions in the water). Distilled water is a much more expensive process as it requires too much heat/energy to produce.

Here is a trick though. As water in gaseous form exist in our humid atmosphere (even in the dessert there is some humidity but very little of it) when it encounters a surface much cooler than the atmospheres it condenses into liquid or even a solid. That snow/ice you find in the freezer part of your non-auto-defrost refrigerators is pretty much as close as you can get to distilled water. If you are patient enough and scrape every day and funnel it in an very clean container, you can collect enough for your bike

Air-conditioners also produce water but you have to make sure you clean the surfaces very well before you can collect some.
The reason distilled water is bad for us to drink is because it is very absorbent of all salts and bases in our system. Therefore it drains our body of all electrolytes and by drinking it we eventually dehydrate.
If you want to test your distilled or deionized water use a multimeter set on resistance and see if you get continuity. If you do there are ions in it. If you get a very high resistance it is pretty clean. But air carries so many particles in it that the moment you open the container it collects ions from the air it comes in contact with.

In the old days in ships they use to produce water by distilling it from the sea, but they had to add electrolytes in it before drinking it. Now they have reverse osmosis filters that just allow enough salt past it to make it drinkable. (the best water I have ever tasted).

Water is very hard to produce for drinking and agriculture and it is vanishing at alarming rates. The only way we have to create water out of the sea is very energy intensive. Water will run out before oil does and it will be the source of major wars in the future.

Last edited by ZeroGara; 08-17-2009 at 05:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode