What Would You Have Done: Lane Merging Edition - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Sponsored Editorial Content

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What Would You Have Done: Lane Merging Edition

Quote:
As motorcyclists, we’re all too familiar with car drivers merging into our lanes, seemingly blind to the fact we’re occupying the lane they are trying to merge into. But what’s proper etiquette when a two-lane road turns into one? Which order should vehicles in a double-file line let each other into a single-file line? Whatever your answer, it’s probably not what this woman was thinking as she comes from behind this motorcyclist and co-occupies the lane he’s in. He then gets upset, honks the horn a few times, gives the driver a quick lesson in merging, calls her a choice expletive then rides on.

Normally that’s where a story like this would end. Instead, he spots a police officer up ahead, flags him down, and sticks him on the car driver.
Read more about the What Would You Have Done: Lane Merging Edition at Motorcycle.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Punch their mirror off lol. Icon timax glove style
bladeryda619 likes this.

2006 RC 51 #00064
2008 HD 1200XLN Blacked Out
2015 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
2014 Great Dane that drags me down the street
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
yell at them while laying on the horn ( do this a lot) then hit the throttle while still pissing and moaning then pass that cop at way to high speed get ticket then piss moan at her the rest of the day.
tomorrow forget about it until next time it happens
Burntclutches likes this.

1946 norton 16h
honda rc51

Last edited by AMP1; 07-11-2016 at 10:09 AM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 05:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I'd either accelerate hard and flick the bike in front of the car, or brake and let her in but wouldn't just stay there.

I've taken so many liberties on the road over 30 years, that if someone does something stupid, there's usually no point raising my blood pressure for it. At most I rev the bike to express my disapproval.

Every time I ride someone does something stupid. Just gotta treat every other road user as a potential danger (especially the slowest vehicles!), so there's no surprise when they do something hazzardous.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 06:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Garage
coming into your lane

I don't know what it is about a boot heading for their paint but it seems give them religion. It's only happened a couple of times.

I was taught by a motor cop how to "guard your lane" and I pretty much sit almost on the line. I also do not own a stock exhaust, so that works most of the time.

2004 BMW R1150SR Project Touring Bike (in-work)
2005 Honda RC-51 SP-2 - future track tool
2014 Ducati HyperProject (Hyperstrada)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
I'd either accelerate hard and flick the bike in front of the car, or brake and let her in but wouldn't just stay there.

I've taken so many liberties on the road over 30 years, that if someone does something stupid, there's usually no point raising my blood pressure for it. At most I rev the bike to express my disapproval.

Every time I ride someone does something stupid. Just gotta treat every other road user as a potential danger (especially the slowest vehicles!), so there's no surprise when they do something hazzardous.
agree agree agree

1946 norton 16h
honda rc51
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
In my Nissan Titan I'm kind of aggressive. I ride peoples' asses when they're driving too slow. I blow my horn loud and long when they're sitting their staring at the ^$%&ing phone at a green light. And on the interstate when somebody's driving slow in the fast lane, I like to get in front of them and go even slower ... I love that.

On my bike I'm basically kind of a wuss. I ride very defensively, usually deferring to all the cages around me which outweigh me by 2 or 3 thousand pounds and are being operated by distracted morons that many times are looking down at their lap. At age 47 things don't feel like they're gonna heal quite as fast as or as nicely as they used to, should one of those dipshits knock me down.
bladeryda619 likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
I'd have turned in my man card, started using the women's restroom and eventually shot myself in the head after a short bout of depression for being such a pussy.

That biker was a whiny bitch running to the cops. Either get in there and fight for your spot or let the woman have it, but a motorcycle fighting for space against a cage is a losing battle and people just don't give a fuck anymore. You never know when someone is just going to snap and run your ass over maliciously.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
elbow drop to the mirror seems reasonable to me. wishful thinking though on my part, id probably tell her how cuntry she was and sped off.

lovin' my little torque monster.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 07:46 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
A long time ago, I thought of farming rotten eggs in varying degrees of rot - and keeping a box of 3 in a row on my top clamp.
The idea was to stop, explain what the driver had just done & ask for an apology - then if they were rude or insulting in response I'd smash an egg in their face (people don't carry guns in the UK though! ) if they deserved punishment...The worst grade would probably induce vomiting. Nasty shit!

In the end, the friend I lived with at college wouldn't let me do it - and talked me out of the idea. Fact is, kicking in doors, smashing mirrors, or other - is only going to make drivers hate bike riders more, ultimately it's not worth getting aggressive.

Just that a bike rider can ride safely past cars standing still in traffic (not legal in some U.S. states, that sucks, I know!), or enjoy getting from A to B much more enjoyably & faster than in a car and have that much more freedom on the road is a big advantage.

So if an errant driver causes me to brake, swerve or accelerate because of something they do, it's no big deal - I just deal with it then overtake (usually fast) and continue at my previous speed when it's safe.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode