RC51 Forums banner

RC51 2004 Nicky Hayden: New fairings, decal sets etc. Tips for renewing SP2.

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  360degrees 
#1 ·
First of all, Merry Christmas for all.

I would need some help with my new SP2. I bought it few days ago from Lithuania as a project for myself. The bike is in pretty bad shape from outside. Most fairings is cracked some way or have some nasty scratches. The gas tank seems to be replaced because it doesn't have the Nicky Hayden's autograph anymore. It has aftermarket undertail, which is cracked also etc etc etc.

So, I'm looking for atleast new fairings.

Nice Cycle RC51 fairings

- Is those as good as they promise (OEM quality ABS-plastic, 100% fitment, 3 base coat, 3 clear coat paint..)? Do you have any experiences about those or even pictures? New OEM fairings are far, far away from my budget unfortunately.

More questions:
- Is there anyway to change the mileage to metric system from the gauge?
I accomplished to change the speedometer to metric system, but how about the total mileage?
- Any recommendations for hugger/undertail? I need also new front and rear blinkers, licence plate "holder", passenger's foot rests, double bubble windscreen.

I have tons of questions, but with these we can start.. Thank you for your patience and answers in advance. I'm from Finland, so my english isn't 100%. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Merry Christmas!

Nothing is close to OEM fairings...IMO

Go to the www.rc51.org site for more reading etc... this is a must.

Service manual: http://www.rc51.info/index.php?page=service

Hotbodies is a good undetail Ermax make a good one ion your part of the work (UK I believe)
Puig double bubble is my preference

Rear signals, there are several flavours of thoses.

Foot rests eBay or www.rc51parts.com Ben usually has no issues shipping to Europe.

As for the mph to kph....it can be done I believe but I do not remember the key strokes on the multi gauge to do this.

Good Luck!

#3 ·
Don't waste your time with anything other than OEM plastics or fiberglass race fairings. To put it nicely, all the other stuff is pure crap. A search here will find some of my lengthy replies to this question.

Passenger foot rests are only available new from the dealer or used on eBay or forum classifieds.

Proton turn signals are my preference. Others also like Watsen Design, but they are overpriced and don't have the best output in my opinion.

Undertails: whatever you can find nowadays. Hot bodies are the best construction and fit out of the companies you can still find making undertails for the RC51. I made my own out of lexan for cheap.

Puig is also my preference on windscreens, but they are pricey. I've gotten similar or better quality than zero gravity screens of eBay. Some guy in Florida that has them for $30. Not sure if he will ship overseas.

Ben at rc51parts.com is a great guy and always comes reccomended from me. I've purchased everything from rear sets, and clip-ons to little clips or screws that are rediculously priced at the dealer.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Thank you for your answers.

I ended up looking for OEM sticker set for the bike. We thought that the fairings aren't cracked so badly that they couldn't be fixed. When those stickers come, we will remove all the fairings from the bike (and the gas tank also) and give them to our contact which visits Lithuania every now and then. The repair cost there is something like 150€ according to our contact. This may be the cheapest and hopefully the best way to do this.

I spotted this --> Ronayers OEM parts
-2004 model's sticker set only 101,64$. I wonder if the gas tank's stickers are included? Shipment cost is the main problem.. They said that shipping to Finland costs 80-90$ via UPS. That's pretty expensive.

Hotbodies's undertail seems to be the best looking undertail for my eye.

And if you have any information or silent knowledge how to change the total mileage to metric system, I am more than happy to know that (and maybe how to change fahrenheit to celsius).

#6 ·
Where are you located 360, and where did your bike originate? The reason I ask, is US model bikes and Canadian or Euro versions have different instrument settings that can be accessed by the steps in the manual. I was skimming mine just the other night and saw something about it, so I'll check again. My bike is a Canadian release so I can't change the KPH to MPH at all, and I'm not sure about the temp scale. If I remember correct the US bikes can be changed with the mode button, but I think they may default back to US values. I'll search the o/m and the service manual again.

#7 ·
I live in Finland and we bought the bike from Lithuania via our contact. The bike was imported to Lithuania from UK earlier I think.

When I look the gauge I can see the dimmed km-indicator there. It is very weird if it cannot be activated somehow. I am very thankful if you could check if it could be changed. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.