Speedcell Batteries GROUP BUY - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Cool Speedcell Batteries GROUP BUY

so i just picked up one of these batteries for my own bike (i got the 8-cell) ITS AWESOME, cranks faster even with all the electronic gizmos i have and it insane how light it is. After speaking with Josh he said he would get some to us RC51 owners since he has been so backed up with race customers, he has had great success in use in his own track rc51s. If anyone is interested just PM me, im thinking about placing another order for my Honda HawkGT.

lightest and best energy system out there, you cant drop more weight from the RC51 for less $. used on every competitive bike in Motoamerica, SBK, etc. 10 year shelf life,no maintenance needed. made from military grade A123 "A-Grade" cells,comes with its own QR harness. If your running a lightweight alternator or track wiring etc. this is a MUST have.

i need at least 6 orders to make it happen.

made in the USA.

HIGH pulse discharge
• Static capacity discharge < 1% per month
• Performance envelope of > 2Amps / Gram
• Lithium ION construction w/ ferrous nano doping
• Safe, will not start an energy chain
• Solid state construction
• Plug & Play replaces your SLA
• Operating Temperature: -50*C to 49*C (-58*F - 120*F)
• FAST charge rate under 30 minutes

Do NOT use a Trickle charger/or any charger intended for a sla, this will result in permanent damage to a Speedcell battery due to the high voltage cycling for sla (sealed lead acid) battery maintenance.
• Use only Speedcell authorized genuine chargers
• Disconnect the battery when not in use or static for more than 5 – 7 days, this will prevent over discharge due to parasitic draw. Over discharge will permanently damage you Speedcell Battery
• Speedcell Batteries, when disconnected from the vehicle, will have a shelf life of up to 10 years and will maintain 80% SOC (state of charge). as long as the battery is disconnected no maintenance charging is needed.
• All Speedcell Batteries arrive load tested and certified to within their operational envelope and come fully charged.

4 cell-$129 (track use, or small CC bike)
8cell-$199(Street use, large CC)
12cell-$279

*chargers-$120

PM me for RC51 owner special pricing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	legacy trifold layout email.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	112018   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.5 supersport battery.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	112026   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.0 superbike battery.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	112034   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.5 baja battery.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	112042  

2003 SP2: Everything I could find.
1991 Honda HawkGT
2008 XR650L
Dec. 2011&2013, Sep. 2015, May 2019 BOTM

Last edited by RC-DEVIL; 10-05-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
woohoo! thanks for the message yesterday, i'll be getting ahold of you soon.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 11:52 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
How's the performance on these in a total loss electrical system and what specifically is required to charge them properly again?

Depending on the answer, I'm interested in one 4 cell and one 8 cell.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

@drifter83

Spoke with Josh today, He explained that he has done many total loss systems and has notes for the electrical output of the RC, the Speedcell works flawlessly. Its just how long do you plan to run it each time? he said a 8 cell should be fine on a total-loss electrical system on the track and just recharge between races.
Speedcell has chargers available for the batteries for $125 but you "can" charge it yourself if your electrically inclined. Most of his total loss customers are drag racing guys, he said he wouldnt recommend it on the street because if the battery gets SEVERELY discharged the chemistry in the cells will no longer be active, unless your just planning for relatively short rides he says its only worth it for track racing.

1991 Honda HawkGT
2008 XR650L

Last edited by RC-DEVIL; 11-20-2015 at 03:57 PM.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Speedcell assembles 100% in the USA except for the actual wire and cells.
quality A123 cells are produced by maybe 2-3 manufacturers, and they they make 3 different grades. A,B,C Grade. B,C grades are often found in hobby toys and power tools. A grade are considered the highest spec within the tightest tolerances, used for industrial/military application; these are also the most expensive and in-demand. Speedcell ONLY purchases premium A grade cells and THEN hand-sorts each cell into groups with the most similar tolerances/levels (this is what ensures longevity, where 99% of other makers dont take care). The batteries are shrink wrapped so that IF in the case of failure that specific cell will take the brunt of the damage and detach itself from the rest in the unlikely event it "jellyrolls" (like a string of pearls). the shrinkwrap allows stretch vs. shatter. Shorai and others use media and material that if in the case of failure will essentially detonate because of how the casing/media is designed and stacked, they dont even use A123 cells but a cheaper Gel-pack material inappropriate for powersport conditions. Speedcell uses the solder to hold a Copper braid to the battery, this Copper braid has a very large "footprint" for less resistant, allowing greater current flow than Laser welding , this reduces the heat, and flows more currect for higher cranking power. It is then supplied with its own QR harness so that the battery can be removed when not in use to prevent parasitic draw.
Each battery is then, charged, load tested and checked to be within its given tolerances by hand before it even leaves the door. This guarantees that there should be no DOA batteries.

for powersport batteries, this is as good as it gets. There is a reason Speedcell is CHOSEN by top competitors, with proper care these things can last 4-5x longer than any gel/acid battery.

1991 Honda HawkGT
2008 XR650L
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Josh, Kevin and Eric at Speedcell are great to deal with over the phone, very knowledgeable and helpful. Only battery I'll buy.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 10:39 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
@RC-DEVIL

Thanks for the info. The 8 cell is for the RC51, which will primarily be used on the street with a charging system.The 4 cell is for my ex500, which is total loss and track only. It also has a *much* simpler electrical system and smaller load. I also will probably not buy any other type of battery in the future, so I'd like to invest in the proper charger too. So let's go with:

1 - 4 cell
1 - 8 cell
1 - charger

30 laps for a race is more than sufficient, but can a single battery work for a track day? 20 min on the track, 40 min charging, then back out for several sessions back to back? Maybe I need 2?

Last edited by drifter83; 11-19-2015 at 10:43 PM.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 11:02 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-DEVIL View Post
@drifter83

Speedcell has chargers available for the batteries for $100 but you "can" charge it yourself if your electrically inclined.

Will standard trickle chargers like Battery Tender work as well?
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunya View Post
Will standard trickle chargers like Battery Tender work as well?
no,it will need to an adjustable rate charger and you can only plug it up for a short time. Use with another type of charger should certainly only be attempted if WELL versed in electrical engineering. Josh said he would not recommend these types of chargers as they can damage the battery fairly easily if not done properly.

1991 Honda HawkGT
2008 XR650L

Last edited by RC-DEVIL; 11-27-2016 at 09:59 AM.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter83 View Post
@RC-DEVIL

Thanks for the info. The 8 cell is for the RC51, which will primarily be used on the street with a charging system.The 4 cell is for my ex500, which is total loss and track only. It also has a *much* simpler electrical system and smaller load. I also will probably not buy any other type of battery in the future, so I'd like to invest in the proper charger too. So let's go with:

1 - 4 cell
1 - 8 cell
1 - charger

30 laps for a race is more than sufficient, but can a single battery work for a track day? 20 min on the track, 40 min charging, then back out for several sessions back to back? Maybe I need 2?
i couldnt tell ya there, it really depends on the specific bike and how much draw. I can only assume a EX500 has very little relative draw.I know there are MANY using Speedcell for trackdays with a total-loss systems but and they change out between "heats" (maybe even 2 heats) even though the 1st one is not discharged completely. Thats how i would recommend doing it,to save the constant charging wear on 1 battery so frequently.

it really is crazy how small/light the 4-cell is.

1991 Honda HawkGT
2008 XR650L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode