Billet short velocity stacks - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Billet short velocity stacks

2 Sets of short (25mm) billet alu. velocity stacks, 1 for SP1 (back pair), 1 for SP2 (front). Made from EN AW 2007 alu. To be used with aftermarket airboxes like Durbahn, T1, DHC, Moriwaki.
I think they can be used with the oem airbox, I will supply 4 bushings to hold the oem airbox down. (If I remember correctly the bolts for the oem stacks also hold the airbox down).
Price is 200$ US per set (incl. shipping).

SP1:PVM mag.,full Akra,Durbahn airbox,T1 G2 snorkel,SpeedCell,SP2 swing+mod. subfr.+engine cover,WP susp. +TiN,endur. fairing VFR400 headlight,KYA fronts, Setrab oilcooler,MR clipons,flowed throttlebod.,lightened flywheel, Moriwaki rests, Delrin stacks,BKG triple clamps,PC II,Ti bolts, qr seat+tank,Durbahn/ISR rear brake,Durbahn CCC,AFAM 15-41, DID520,CBR600RR coils,50310 fan switch,mod. wire harness,HRC overflow,Extreme Graphics undertray,Harris fairing stay.

Last edited by SPeter1; 07-26-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

Are you still turning out these velocity stacks?
If so, do they fit and work in a standard air box?
Can you turn some for the standard air box, or what do you recommend?

Cheers!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 05:46 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Garage
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3533.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	114138They don't fit in a OEM airbox

Growing old is mandatory , Growing up is Optional
BOTM / April 2014 , October 2016
Clint / 2000 RC51 #414

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

As I have sold my oem SP1 airbox I am not able to check if they will fit.
The longer stacks will not fit the front throttle body because the air filter is in the way, but I thought 2 short stacks will fit or a short stack on the front and a longer in the rear (identical to oem)?

SP1:PVM mag.,full Akra,Durbahn airbox,T1 G2 snorkel,SpeedCell,SP2 swing+mod. subfr.+engine cover,WP susp. +TiN,endur. fairing VFR400 headlight,KYA fronts, Setrab oilcooler,MR clipons,flowed throttlebod.,lightened flywheel, Moriwaki rests, Delrin stacks,BKG triple clamps,PC II,Ti bolts, qr seat+tank,Durbahn/ISR rear brake,Durbahn CCC,AFAM 15-41, DID520,CBR600RR coils,50310 fan switch,mod. wire harness,HRC overflow,Extreme Graphics undertray,Harris fairing stay.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Why dimples in a non rotational object? It is true that dimples (as discovered during the dam busting bomb design) allowed a golf ball to go nearly twice as far as a smooth ball by inducing a rotation but why in a static item? Planes dont have dimples.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

I just copied the idea from HRC and Thorsten Durbahn.....

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

To answer the HRC throttle body question - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

The dimples do not induce a rotation, it is because of the rotation that more dimples come in contact with the air that passes over the object. As I understand it, the dimples create a boundary of turbulent air, that reduces the resistance of the air flowing over this layer of air. However at higher speeds this effect reverses, maybe that is why plane don't have dimples?

MIT study:
Morphable surfaces could cut air resistance | MIT News

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Fair enough....I watched a program on the Dam Busters once (where they say the dimple idea originated) and they couldn't get the bombs to behave the way they wanted....skip across the water. The bombs would simply hit the water, bounce maybe once or twice and sink. In this particular case the dimples were added and the desired affect was achieved. They then used the process on golf balls and as mentioned the balls went nearly twice the distance. I was hoping you had found a benefit....... Have you tried them against ones with no dimples?

The MIT article was very interesting
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

I have no data for the stacks with or without dimples, I just copied the idea and let my customers decide. Almost all liked the dimples so that's how I make them. Maybe the dimples work at lower rpm/air speeds and then the short stack comes into play at higher rpm?
I suspect HRC have done their homework, although maybe for our more standard RC's its more cosmetic?
If you are interested in bell mouth shapes there is an interesting article on the internet by Prof. Blair of QUB, he suggests that an elliptical shape of the stacks is the best. As soon as I will be able to do some machining again (my recovery from surgery on a broken hip is not going to plan...) I plan on trying this. At the moment I use a radius of 25mm, that's the largest I can do on my lathe and mill.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode