Feeler: plug and play manual fan switch kit (FB crossposted) - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Feeler: plug and play manual fan switch kit (FB crossposted)

would there be any interest in a PLUG AND PLAY SP2 fan switch kit?

i just drew up the mounts and have some buttons (otto controls, highest quality push buttons), and will be putting together a kit.

basically this will be a small bracket to mount underneath a bolt on your master cylinder, with a push button, and a cable that you'll run through your bike back to the fan control relay. you'll unplug the fan control relay and simply plug in the fan switch connector, then the other side back into the relay.

there will be no cutting, no splicing, no nothing.

this will allow you to toggle your fans on and off with the push of a button, when you activate the kill switch, the fans will stop (this is the normal logic in the bike).

this logic will override the ECU control of the fans, but does not disable it. so when the switch is off, the fans will still work automatically, when it is on, they will be always on.

buttons available in red, green, and black.

i'm thinking 75 USD shipped for the kit. the parts themselves aren't hugely expensive but i'll have to purchase it all from multiple vendors and build everything prior to shipping.

who's interested? i should be able to start building these before Xmas, just want to get an idea on how much of everything to order.

i understand that this isn't a complicated thing to you yourself, and i realize that you could just ground the negative on the fan circuit with a 3 dollar toggle switch you got at the hardware store, but the way i am putting this together requires zero cutting or splicing, and the switch is not subject to the current in the fan circuit, so you can count on longevity, and a much nicer switch, plus you get oem connectors crimped with the correct tools, and a very clean and simple installation.

please just indicate if you would consider purchasing one so i can get an idea of preliminary numbers for this next project.

here's a pic to give you an idea of what it'll look like.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23755630_10156221383135663_107186851391645478_n.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	122297  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
That looks like it belongs on the RC like a stock part. Nice job!
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 09:04 PM
Banned

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
$75 , what do I need six of them for ?

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCool View Post
$75 , what do I need six of them for ?
if you want to do the mod with garbage parts you're more than welcome to.

i'm not doing that.

the brackets will be laser cut, tumbled and anodized, the switches are rohs compliant ip68 push buttons, plus oem connectors so you don't need to touch a wire at all.

i'm not forcing anyone to purchase these, so go do your 11 dollar harbor freight setup if that's what you're after.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
My apologies , I should have said what do I need three of them for ? Rohs compliant ? Seriously ?
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

i'm just saying that most people sell garbage alibaba switches. no ip rating, no contact rating, no compliance, nothing, they are 99 cents each

the switches i'm using are 5 amp rated, ip68 weather sealed, and are about 12 times the price

as i said, if you want to make it out of junk feel free. i won't be getting rich on these by the time i've paid the laser place, the anodizer, the switch supplier, the connector supplier, the cable supplier, the strain relief supplier, the shipping supplier, the shipping itself, and also not done it for free.

instead of arguing with me why don't you make a kit yourself, and sell it for 25 dollars shipped. it's barely worth going to the post office for 25 dollars.

i can't get the material for that. so you must be super smart or something

Last edited by Wibbly; 11-22-2017 at 10:07 PM.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 06:53 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Garage
So Wib is this a n/o switch that closes when pushed ? Maintain contact , I have an sp1 that i installed a simple tog switch , small with rubber boot and on off plate , looks clean but yours would be the titts if its just a n/o switch 2 wire ?

Growing old is mandatory , Growing up is Optional
BOTM / April 2014 , October 2016
Clint / 2000 RC51 #414
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

It's a normally open latching push button. Push on push off.

It is wired into the relay for the fans so it isn't subject to any load from the motors.

It won't work on the sp1 application because the sp1 doesn't use a relay. It let's the temp switch control the fans directly so I would need to add a relay etc.

As of this moment I don't have plans to do an sp1 kit. I'll see how the sp2 ones go first.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 09:46 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Garage
Yep got it just a switch to open and close contact in the relay . I know how the SP1 works thanks

Growing old is mandatory , Growing up is Optional
BOTM / April 2014 , October 2016
Clint / 2000 RC51 #414
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

of course you know you've wired one in lol. i was just clarifying as i anticipate more sp1 questions.

i can send you a push button and bracket if you want to change your switch anyway. is there a current rating on the fan do you know? the spal seems to be right around 5 amps. not sure about the stock one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode