RC51 Forums banner

Shorai Battery

5K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  raleighp 
#1 ·
anyone know who stocks Shorai batteries....can't find them in stock anywhere.

#5 ·
Yeah i was trying to get one for my Aprilia as well......could not find one anywhere.

I'm going to check out motomummy

#6 ·
Well, heres what motomummy had to say.

"The Shorai batteries are currently on backorder until the middle of April. Shorai drastically under estimated demand for this product, and they are currently working on producing more. If you have any questions about this product please let us know. At this time we are not taking new orders on this product. Once we have more inventory we'll re-activate the drop down box with the battery models."

Looks like everyone is sold out. i ended up buying a stock battery for 78 bucks for my Aprilia. im going to wait and find a Shorai for the RC51. Will let you guys know if i find them available anywhere.

#9 ·
The weight savings are pretty rediculous....I know there are a lot of chemical companies in the Fukushima Prefecture. Many companies are scrambling to find raw materials to keep businesses moving

I am curious as to how this plays out for the availability.

#10 ·
yea i'm sure it won't be good. Talking to a guy at the BMW dealership today he was saying the Suzuki Dealers have been told they are not getting anything else this year.....what they have is it.

#11 ·
The Miyagi Prefecture got a double whammy. (tsunami/earthquake) Thats where the mother company is I work for, Keihin. We are struggling to keep Honda running. Honda announced reduction in work hours and volume. Should be interesting for any Japanese owned auto/motorcycle maker.

#13 ·
looks like June is when places will begin to recieve more stock of shorai batteries

#15 ·
I suggest the P3 instead.
I have buddy with an Aprilia Tuono, and has a battery similar to the P2 (4.6 AH), and the battery wouldn't start his twin reliably.

Might be ok for track use in warm weather, but not enough reserve capacity for year 'round street use.

That's why I was going with the 18 AH Shorai for my RC51.
I think they are the best design so far and worth the wait for myself.

#16 · (Edited)
I received my Shorai battery earlier this month, but forgot to mention my impressions of it.
The battery is superbly made and compared to the OEM battery, incredibly lighter.
The battery is not made of lashed together A123 cells, but is a clean sheet design for motorcycle use.

Ordinarily, the Shorai 12 AH rating is suggested for nomal use, but I've found that if you intend to use these batteries year round, I'd suggest you go with the highest rating you can, in this case the Shorai 18 AH rating.
The weight difference is only a few ounces, but the reserve cranking amps is worth it.

The battery case is made of carbon composite and the 18 AH only weights 2 lbs (1048 gm by my scale).
The 18 AH battery is the same width and height as OEM, but is 20mm shallower in depth and is over 7 lbs lighter than the Yuasa YTZ12S.
Shorai provides various foam liners to ensure a proper fit with different battery boxes.

#17 ·
Hi Sub,
I look at the 18's and the prices don't seem too bad at all. When you said year round, what do you mean exactly ? I ask as I live in Texas and we do not get that cold at all, and if it does I certainly will not be riding. If anything I am more concerned with a battery that can with stand the heat. As you know with the earth's rotation between June - August the proximity between Texas and Hell is such that, it renders it a local phone call !!

When I ride home today the actual temp will be 100 with a heat index of 105

Will the 18A1 stand up to the heat ?

#19 ·
Thanks ..... I really appreciate it. The summer Texas heat eats batteries for breakfast, lunch and dinner ! We never really worry so much with cold cranking amps, but with the heat ratings. I am sure the Shorai will out perform my stock battery, just want to be sure I ask the question and do my homework.

#21 ·
Thanks Sub ..I appreciate the help !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.