Ohlins 30mm cartridge fork tops - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Ohlins 30mm cartridge fork tops

Hi Gents,

I recently bought Sandking11's forks with Ohlins 30mm cartridge kits fitted.

The 30mm kits come with fork extensions on the top, due to the 12.5mm reduction in the length of the forks with the kit fitted. Problem I have is I run my bike with the forks dropped 15mm, and with the extensions fitted the fork extensions foul the fairing bracket. My local Ohlins guy hasn't been able to source the tops on their own, so I am a bit stuck.

Given that the fork tops generally survive an impact, I was wondering if anyone has a pair of compatible tops, or knew where I could source some from?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
It's kind of hard to understand what you asking for. FYI, though, the 30 mm Ohlins fork kit by Dan Kyle requires the fork extensions to make the kit work as a retrofit to the RC51 forks. You can't change the fork tops back to stock with that kit and have it work.

That's a lot of front end drop imo.

In lieu of the fork clearance issue, you could instead raise the rear of the bike to get the rake you want. Or split it between a smaller drop in the front (e.g., 5 mm) and raising of the rear (10mm).

Last edited by kwtoxman; 12-11-2014 at 04:11 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post
It's kind of hard to understand what you asking for. FYI, though, the 30 mm Ohlins fork kit by Dan Kyle requires the fork extensions to make the kit work as a retrofit to the RC51 forks. You can't change the fork tops back to stock with that kit and have it work.

That's a lot of front end drop imo.

In lieu of the fork clearance issue, you could instead raise the rear of the bike to get the rake you want. Or split it between a smaller drop in the front (e.g., 5 mm) and raising of the rear (10mm).
I'm not looking for stock, I'm looking for the standard Ohlins tops (not extended). So are you saying the standard height tops won't work? My understanding was the kit came with the standard tops, and the extended was an option used on the RC to accommodate the 12.5mm reduction in length, but I'm not 100% on this?

I already have the rear raised by 7mm and with the 15mm drop on the front the bike handles exactly as I like it. The problem I have, is to get the axle to lower triple measurement the same as I run on the standard forks, means the extended tops hit the underside of the fairing bracket. So I was hoping someone might have a pair of the standard Ohlins tops, to swap out the extended ones. Are you saying the extended ones are different internally as well as externally?

Last edited by BritRC; 12-11-2014 at 07:05 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 06:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
contact LDH at DanKyle racing.

he came up with this kit, he knows EVERYTHING about it and the rc51. IMO he is THE authority in the US

2003 SP2: Everything I could find.
1991 Honda HawkGT
2008 XR650L
Dec. 2011&2013, Sep. 2015, May 2019 BOTM
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritRC View Post
I'm not looking for stock, I'm looking for the standard Ohlins tops (not extended). So are you saying the standard heigh tops won't work? My understanding was the kit came with the standard tops, and the extended was an option used on the RC to accommodate the 12.5mm reduction in length, but I'm not 100% on this?

I already have the rear raised by 7mm and with the 15mm drop on the front the bike handles exactly as I like it. The problem I have, is to get the axle to lower triple measurement the same as I run on the standard forks, means the extended tops hit the underside of the fairing bracket. So I was hoping someone might have a pair of the standard Ohlins tops, to swap out the extended ones. Are you saying the extended ones are different internally as well as externally?
The added explanation helps and is more or less what I thought. The standard Ohlins top mounts won't work from what I understand. That was the whole reason for the custom tops machined by Kyle USA for the retrofit to the oem RC51 forks; one can't use standard Ohlins tops as the custom tops add the necessary length to the fork to accomodate the springs, cartridge, etc. Removing the custom top will mess up the preload on the springs, etc. I'd discuss the whole Ohlins 30 mm kit option with the maker who put it all together, Kyle USA. Give him a call to discuss it with him in detail.

That's a lot of front drop. But I'll never say not to do what you like. I would note that for the aggressive rider (track, for example) it is much preferred to raise the rear as lowering the front can cause clearance issues at high lean angles.

So with your measurements, have you thought of raising the rear 20 mm and dropping the front 2 mm? That is the same overall to your current measurements, without dropping the front and getting a binding issue.

Last edited by kwtoxman; 12-13-2014 at 07:41 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

I think for now I will stick with the extended tops and have a play around with some different settings and see if I can come up with something that suits.

Thanks for the info, sounds like my only alternative if I can't get it how I like it is to get the extended tops machined down a bit for some added clearance.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
18.567 degress of rake,65mm of trail! That'll make ya balls grow for sureeee!!!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Where I live it is mostly tight twisty roads, anyone who knows Cornwall in the UK will know what great roads we have for bikes. Lots of bends and short straights; my setup is perfect for them.

I have all my bikes setup similar, it just compliments or roads perfectly.

Get the same reaction from most people when they see how far through the top clamps the forks are.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 04:50 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
If you find you can't make them work for you, i will give them a good home!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

I'll keep you in mind Dan, but the next step is the machine shop if I can't set them up with the extensions. Already working on the Solidworks model for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode