WTB Ohlins rear shock - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
WTB Ohlins rear shock

Hey guys, I'm going to be looking to buy an Ohlins rear shock in the next few weeks for the track piggie, sprung for 200lbs (with gear) would be ideal. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Good luck rancksta
I hope you find a great deal on one.
The HO204 is the most recent model but not the only Ohlins that will work for our bikes, just so you know. There's one or two older models that can be revalved to the 204's specs. That's what LDH did with my HO9431.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Good information jondog! I guess that widens the search a bit. I was hoping to have a few options other than buying brand new. I'll have to post up a few updated pics of the RC when I get home, those fairings are just what I needed, thanks again!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Well John, since you seem to be the only one following, I decided after (not) so much deliberation, to pick up a new HO204 from Mike at Kyle USA. I read a few guides here (mainly the build from kwtoxman) and his view on the new vs used seemed pretty rational to me, so I decided to spend a bit more and go new. Granted, my RC is track only (currently), I feel it is a worthy upgrade for both speed and safety. I think my only concern at this point is where to mount the preload adjuster- with the banzai sato's I am going to mount shortly, I am very limited on the location for the preload..any thoughts? I know people tend to put it under the seat, but options are always nice.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Congratulations. I've been following like others likely are but had no leads to contribute. Used Ohlins rear shocks have come around for sale from time to time and it depends on timing, though over the last couple of winters the forum gets pretty quiet.

Can't help with the alternate preload position as I was able to use the std spot with my low mounts. I'm sure a few with direct experience can comment.

It is a worthy upgrade for a track RC51. Post some track shots on the track picture thread when you get some.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks kwtox! I will be reading and re-reading your thread on the install, although you make it seem pretty straightforward. Mike was saying that with my DK link I will most likely have to lower the ride height a tad (with my 55 series tire) so I will have to take some careful measurements beforehand. Being very green in the suspension world, it is something I will just have to take my time with. I will have to read up on properly setting the sag as well. And I just downloaded a few pictures from the previous track days that I will gladly add to the track picture thread you have!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Buying new has it's obvious advantages.
One, Kyle has the best price on them anywhere! And by far from what I've seen.
Secondly, you get the shock now instead of having to wait around until one eventually shows up.
And third, most times you buy used, they really need service and a proper spring for your weight. So in the end you spend just as much as a new one.

Just don't forget to have your stock forks upgraded with the Ohlins valving and springs too. It makes so much difference it's ridiculous. I'm so glad I finally did it myself.

I too have a link and 55 tire. I have my ride height adjuster at almost bottom.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancksta View Post
Thanks kwtox! I will be reading and re-reading your thread on the install, although you make it seem pretty straightforward. Mike was saying that with my DK link I will most likely have to lower the ride height a tad (with my 55 series tire) so I will have to take some careful measurements beforehand. Being very green in the suspension world, it is something I will just have to take my time with. I will have to read up on properly setting the sag as well. And I just downloaded a few pictures from the previous track days that I will gladly add to the track picture thread you have!
Ur welcome! It's pretty straight forward and simple. Somewhere in my build thread I show and discuss measuring the stock shock eyelet to eyelet and doing the same with Ohlins for setup before install.

For me I added something like 8-10 mm to the ohlins over the oem length to increase rear ride height. For a link and 55 tire I'd go back to the OEM number or less. Maybe 5 mm less for example. Take some notes, try a setting and see how it goes. You can always go back to your notes and try another setting to change or improve the set up. I'd be interested on where you end up setting the ohlins shock length for use. Let us know.

Enjoy and good luck.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post
For me I added something like 8-10 mm to the ohlins over the oem length to increase rear ride height. For a link and 55 tire I'd go back to the OEM number or less. Maybe 5 mm less for example. Take some notes, try a setting and see how it goes.
Enjoy and good luck.
That was a good starting figure I was planning on. Like you said, the only difference between science and guessing are notes.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post
Ur welcome! It's pretty straight forward and simple. Somewhere in my build thread I show and discuss measuring the stock shock eyelet to eyelet and doing the same with Ohlins for setup before install.

For me I added something like 8-10 mm to the ohlins over the oem length to increase rear ride height. For a link and 55 tire I'd go back to the OEM number or less. Maybe 5 mm less for example. Take some notes, try a setting and see how it goes. You can always go back to your notes and try another setting to change or improve the set up. I'd be interested on where you end up setting the ohlins shock length for use. Let us know.

Enjoy and good luck.
You cannot accurately measure eye to eye length in that regard due to the topout spring inside the Ohlins shock.

You need a special tool to do that and even then you are really not getting the numbers that are pertinent for geometry that will change anyway when it comes to dynamic sag.

My advice is with a 190/55 tire to start with 2-3 lines showing below the blue lock nut on the shock clevis and the front forks dropped about 5-7 through the triple clamp.

Rear Sag 25mm
Front Sag 38-40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode