RC51 Forums banner

not enough clutch free play

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  smddanny 
#1 ·
I have been lovin my RC lately riding it to work in the early CT. spring.

One thing I don't like.

The clutch engages / disengages with small angles changes in the lever just off the stop. The engagement is smooth and progressive enough, it is just that the active area is at the beginning of the lever movement.

Anyone know how to make the clutch engage more near the middle of the movement?

Several times I have almost dumped the clutch thinking the bike was not in gear and then you get a moment where you are happy your reflex was to pull the clutch in and not let it out.. like immediately after a good rev and the motor is spinning too fast for a gentle pull away.

#3 ·
+1

RC has a very different pressure point to engage/disengage the clutch and will take some time to get aquainted.;)

Don't see it as a negative, just different.

Have you ever ridden a bike with a hydraulic clutch before the RC??

#5 ·
Yeah, I have hydraulic controls on my other scooters. The RC clutch is nice and progressive, just don't like the actuation point right as you grab the lever. Nice for fanning the clutch thru the gears but can be disconcerting at a stop when begin to think you are in neutral.

No air in the line, that would make it actuate later I would think as the air would compress first.

I've been thinking about taking a few thou off the clutch actuator push rod, I have to take a look at the microfiche. I don't see how to easily correct it at the lever and my lever is usually adjuster full close to the bar.

Perhaps a shorter or aftermarket lever would help, but I am skeptical of that as the pivot points would most likely be near the same.

Nobody else had a desire to change this ??

#10 ·
Just give it time........

#11 ·
Yeah, you guys are right. Shortening the actuation rod on the clutch that the slave works on won't do anything to solve this. I was thinking last night of playing with the lever perch assy. and setting the lever closer in to the bar. After riding it all week I am getting used to it and perhaps should resist the temptation to have a tinker with it.

Sounds like nobody else seems to be bothered by this....

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.