RC51 Forums banner

How to remove clutch basket or best method to clean out alot of clutch debris?

6K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Wibbly 
#1 ·
My clutch is smoked. Can't really complain as it in a vehicle that is used in the sand with paddle tires, more than 2x the weight, and geared to really go through the gears frequently.

Got it apart to the clutch basket and noticed the basket is just caked with clutch material. Started cleaning but stopped as seemed better idea to remove basket and clean it better and not risk dropping gunk in the oil pan.

How does the large center nut come off ... what do they mean by unstaking it? What size is that nut (~30mm) and just use a 12 point socket or is it a special nut? Is there a way to hold the center of the clutch or does it really require the special tool/how easy will it come off without these tools?

Thanks ... just wanna know what I am against from here to get iff off or if I should just slowly clean the gunk out without removing the basket (any tips?)

Thanks!

#2 ·
After removing clutch basket, rinse with petrol liberally, allow to dry, new oil & reassemble.

#4 ·
Staking is method to secure two parts together, like a nut and bolt, or bolt threaded through a threaded hole.

For instance, a bolt passed through a spacer with a nut securing it on the other end.
A staking punch is used on the center of the bolt to deform or flare the bolt's out diameter enough to prevent the nut from fully rotating off the end if it becomes loosened, which it shouldn't if staked properly.

#9 ·
a word of warning for when you do the job.

you'll have to take off the large cover (not just the small clutch cover) to get proper access. so you need to drain the coolant

you'll also need to pull the clutch basket. the basket itself drives the oil pump, so it's CRITICALLY IMPORTANT that when you put the clutch basket back on, you rotate the oil pump gear until the pins on the drive wheel for the pump fall into the pockets on the back of the basket. if you fuck this up you may end up with an engine failure.

the rest is very easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.