Chinese eBay Fairings - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chinese eBay Fairings

Has anybody had any experience with these plastics? For $500 complete set, the price isn't terrible, but I'm curious about fit, and how much effort it takes to get them installed... I'm a pretty capable guy, so fitting isn't an issue, but if they're junk, than I prefer not to waste my time.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:49 PM

mine took honing out a couple holes and some stretching but wasn't too bad. wasnt factory fit bit uou get what u pay for. from what I've read here its kinda a hit or miss with these fairings. good luck!!

01 RC Repsol plastics, hotbodies undertail, Scott's damper, power commander III, Jardine 2-1, k&n, flapper mod and some other goodies.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
There are a bunch of threads on here about them. General consensus is that they aren't worth it. I have installed a few sets with friends, and some aren't that bad, but none of them have been worth the money that was paid. And the bad ones are really bad.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)

This thing works too...I am not a fan of the Chinese fairings. Use a lot of heat shield tape if you do.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think their fine if you need time to save up to purchase factory and you get a good set. Heat shield tape will be your friend.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 04:26 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
I did a job with those Chinese ABS plastics once on a friend's blade....I have to say, I was very satisfied of their fitting and their paint job...

My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Chinese Buffet

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
How bad are your stock plastics? If they aren't too bad, you could probably repair them yourself and get them painted for less than a set of those chinese ones. Don't blow that off as an option, as a one color paint job can be fairly cheap. Of course it helps if you can do the prep work yourself like cleaning them and removing any stickers and sanding down any repairs to a smooth surface. An added bonus of getting them painted is that you are keeping your money in your local economy. Putting some money in the pocket of the guy down the street is a better option than sending it to the other side of the world.

This question comes up on every sportbike/motorcycling forum all the time. The funny part is that you still have people who don't listen to advice and go out and buy them. Then you never hear from them about it again. That is because nine out of ten aren't going to come back onto the forum and eat crow for ignoring good advice.

For resale value it helps to have OEM plastic, even if it is painted. I would rather have that than some cheap throw away garbage from China. Of course that depends on who you are selling to.

Oh, and check out their return policies. Most of them charge around $200 for shipping, and that is not refundable. As long as they send you something that remotely looks like what is in the pictures, you'll have an uphill battle trying to get a full refund.

If you have ever been to that part of the world, they have a propensity to put a nice finish on a turd and sell it to stupid Americans.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year

Last edited by b.miller123; 03-18-2012 at 01:24 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
How bad are your stock plastics? If they aren't too bad, you could probably repair them yourself and get them painted for less than a set of those chinese ones. Don't blow that off as an option, as a one color paint job can be fairly cheap. Of course it helps if you can do the prep work yourself like cleaning them and removing any stickers and sanding down any repairs to a smooth surface. An added bonus of getting them painted is that you are keeping your money in your local economy. Putting some money in the pocket of the guy down the street is a better option than sending it to the other side of the world.

This question comes up on every sportbike/motorcycling forum all the time. The funny part is that you still have people who don't listen to advice and go out and buy them. Then you never hear from them about it again. That is because nine out of ten aren't going to come back onto the forum and eat crow for ignoring good advice.

For resale value it helps to have OEM plastic, even if it is painted. I would rather have that than some cheap throw away garbage from China. Of course that depends on who you are selling to.

Oh, and check out their return policies. Most of them charge around $200 for shipping, and that is not refundable. As long as they send you something that remotely looks like what is in the pictures, you'll have an uphill battle trying to get a full refund.

If you have ever been to that part of the world, they have a propensity to put a nice finish on a turd and sell it to stupid Americans.
Point taken... I'm currently looking at a used bike, with complete fairings that have been bastardized, and painted, a few of the cracks are still visible. This tells me that they were probably busted up pretty good to begin with. I'm just looking for possible options to getting this "rolling chassis" to look respectable, without mods and repairs ending up costing me as much as a nicer, complete bike.

Thanks for the input all.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 07:05 PM

I saw a set on Zilla that looked damn good considering. I'm thinking about getting a set myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode