A Very Sad Sight! RC and Rider down. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
A Very Sad Sight! RC and Rider down.

Saw this this morning while doing my daily you tube scan for RC videos. Hope the rider comes out ok. Not sure if it was one of us.

Colt
00 RC51 #1119
97 CBR F3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
That's is Las Vegas.
We have a couple members from LV.

They suspect that he was under the influence? That blows...
Bad crash there.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
No sympathy for those who drink and ride. It could have been any one of us or our family members he could have hit. At least he didn't Kill or hurt anybody.

Colt
00 RC51 #1119
97 CBR F3

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's too bad.

Really hate to see that type of stuff.

If he was riding under the influence he has a very long road ahead of himself.
Sad.

No Novels!

Fricken GOLD battery!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That is sad to see.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Am I the only ine that got a kick out of this being in the how to section? Hopefully everyone involved comes out alright....another rc bites the dust.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
That sucks.

I can see how it is hard to have sympathy for anyone who chooses to get behind the wheel after drinking. As someone who has had a DUI (holy shit, that was ten years ago, I'm gettin' old!), it goes both ways for me.

On one hand, I can understand not having any sympathy since it is a pretty stupid thing to do, and puts other people in danger. Obviously, it is even harder to sympathize with someone who does this and kills or injures another or themself. Drunk drivers kill more people every year in the states than firearms.

On the other hand. I understand how it can happen, and some of the things that lead up to it. For me it was a gradual escalation. At first it was just a few beers and a light buzz and I was fine. Eventually it got to the point of being blacked out the night I totaled my truck. All of my friends who I hung out with at the time would drink and drive. Yes, we would have designated drivers some times, but some times not. A lot of the time it was having beers after work and stopping by the bar on the way home (I worked the evening shift). Nearly every adult I knew growing up drank and drove. Some would only do it after a beer or two, some would do it after way too many. I forget the exact figure used, but I remember hearing years ago that for every person that gets caugh for a DUI, they have driven under the influence something like a hundred times before getting caught.

We are creatures of habit, and we emulate those around us. The other part that I take issue with is how lax DUI laws are. I had some friends get DUI's just a few months before I got mine. Their punishment was pretty much non existent. Yeah, they had to pay a few thousand in fines, couldn't drive for 90 days, and take some classes, that was about it. Some of them were able to get the charge reduced to negligent driving. Stiffer consequences may not have made me think a little more about my actions that night, but they may keep other people from being repeat offenders. Nearly every person that I've known who has gotten a DUI has still driven while intoxicated.

My consequences were a little worse than my friends because I blew a .221, and the cutoff for the higher punishments in Washington is .150. I had to do two days in jail, had zero chance of getting it reduced to a non-DUI offense, paid more in fines, required a longer class, and had a requirement for an interlock device for a year (I just didn't drive for a year instead). This may seem like a lot, but none of it really mattered to me. What did was the fact that I could have hurt someone, and was lucky that I didn't seriously hurt myself. I don't know how I would have lived with myself if I had hurt someone else. Unfortunately, even these punishments aren't enough to stop repeat offenders. Most of them will barely notice any change in their quality of life, possibly temporary stuff but nothing that doesn't go away. If it were up to me, the manditory minimum jail time should be just enough to have the person lose their job, and to give them some serious time to think about how much jail sucks. The fines really aren't as bad as most seem the think. Usually the fines are about a thousand bucks, and if you spend time on probation those fees can add up. In Washington once you are done with your requirements, you are off probation. I think I paid less than $1500 to the actual court. The classes I took were about twice that, and a complete joke and a just a racket in my opinion.

Please don't misconstrue the above as me trying to lay the blame for my actions elsewhere. I take all the responsibility for what I did. However, I do think that most of the dui's that occur could be prevented if punishments were worse. If nothing, it would reduce the number of repeat offenders.

Another thing to remember, this guy probably wasn't drinking alone. If you have a chance to keep a friend from getting behind the wheel, do it. I know from personal experience that you would much rather be the asshole that wouldn't let your buddy drive, than the one who could have saved his life and didn't have the balls to do the right thing.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Riding 2 wheels after drinking? Facepalm!

'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC51
-Competition Werkes FE w/
Clear Alternatives IT

'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR (sold '15)
'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold '11)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Hig
Lifetime Premium

Maybe those parts will make their way here....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2001 #62. Ohlins rear/valves, Micron high mount, HyperPro damper, SharkSkinz, Tyga billet triple clamp, Tyga Carbon Fiber fender and hugger, Ti bolt/custom subframe/alien motion 8 cell diet, 15/41 520, COP conv. PCIII, Venhill lines, modified air box, turn signals in headlights...<deep breath> ZG Touring windscreen, Tech G rear sets, CRF450 rear master w/HRC cover, Tokico 6 pots w/V-pads, CRG Bar end mirrors, PSR Shorty levers-use only clutch, wanna-be basic racer paint, Roman Gold PC wheels
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 03:03 PM

I don't think the guy should have been riding either but luckily nobody was killed.

I have to agree with b.miller. The DUI "classes" are nothing more than a racket. I also had to take the extended classes about three years ago and the problem was that they only have six months worth of material but the class is nine months long. The only consequence was having to attend the classes every week. The fines are no fun but that is not difficult to take care of.

The classes have to be done through a state-approved organization, of which there is only one in the state (CA), and the classes come out to more than the fines. It just seems really sketchy that there are not several more corporations that would cash in on this. Quid pro quo I guess. If the money spent on the classes were somehow re invested in the programme it may help. I am not sure how the funds are dispersed but judging from the location and what I heard from the "counselors", not very much is going back into the education process. Just as an example, in 2011, the Susan G. Komen foundation only used 15% of the funds raised for research, which is where I was always under the impression a majority of the money went. That is supposed to be a reputable organisation. I will admit I am a bit biased and the only time I donate is for animals when I go to Petco but the fact remains that not much is going back into their DUI programme.

It does suck to get a DUI but there should be more done to educate people and prevent them. I know we are adults and should know better but if that were the case, these things wouldnt happen. I have learned, only after several mistakes, that I can not have a "mellow" night of drinking. I usually only take enough money with me to buy a couple of drinks (whether I am driving or not) or else it turns into what I call a "shit-show".

Strict penalties will help deter would-be drivers but prevention would be more effective, in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode