RC51 Forums banner

Going from a Custom Harley to a 02 RC51

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Ghost RC51 
#1 ·
I just wanted to say hi.

I am taking delivery of a 2002 RC this coming Saturday morning and came here to find out all that I can. I have been here for a couple of days now, but once the deal became set in stone....I became a member. I have owned many bikes. Started off with an 86 VFR F2 that I played with until it had just over 121hp. Went to 600s, 750s and some 1000s. Got out for a while and got into Rock climbing in a jeep I built but never could get the smile off of my face when a bike went by. I recently let my heavily modded Busa go so that I might get my wife into it (Loves the back seat!) and wanted her to have one of her own so I traded it for a really sick Harley Sportster..........She hates it! Now I am trading that for this RC. I love to work on my own bikes and really hate to take it any where else, so I know I will be asking many questions from here on out.

Thank you in advance for your help in the future!

#3 ·
I love my speed but it the twisties that set me off. I hear that these are one of the best in a corner. The only thing that worries me is that I hear they do not do so well in a commute. I go 55 miles one way to work. Ya'll think it would really be a concern?

#4 ·
i was riding mine 45 miles one way 5 days a week til i crashed. All i can say is that after a while your hands get used to going numb. The posture of the bike is aggresive so there is alot of wiehgt and pressure on your hands and forearms. I learned to sqwueeze the tank with my legs and support most my wieght on my hips. I got used to it. Its not for everyone but its well worth it in my book lol. As long as i was on the HW and not in town it was fun. DOenst like stop light to stop light so much lol TORQUE TORQUE lolololoo.

#7 ·
Ghost, welcome back to the world of real bikes! Thank god you ditched that Hardley! To answer a few of your questions quik.

1. If you find that commuting gets a little rough, simply buy a Corbin or Sargent seat and different clipons. There are companies that make ones that sit a little higher.

2. A damper would be a good investment if you plan on either raising the rear ride height via 5mm shims on the shock. Or have or plan on getting a Dan Kyle/ Moriwaki rear link. These both change the steering geometry, making the bike slightly more twitchy.

3. As far as the exhausts go, Sato gives you the best power increase. Altho the Yosh is a really good option! Really it comes down to having a really good map in the powercomander!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.