new 2005 owner - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smile new 2005 owner

So I bought my very first motorcycle and its a 2005 RC51. I know... its a whole lot of bike for a new owner but I've been in love with it since the very first time I saw it about 6-7 years ago. And the sound of that V-twin... can't say enough about it. I decided to get one in the winter to get a better deal and I think I got a pretty good one. It has a few upgrades on it. Exhaust, clip ons, sato rearsets, few other things. Paid 6 for it. Theres a couple of small "issues" that are not really issues but they're kinda buggin me so I'll be on the forum asking for advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rc51i.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	969  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 02:24 AM

Beautiful bike. Just a few things i'm sure you've read. The RC51 is a terrible first bike. It's very heavy, very intimidating, the torque will scare the shit out of you.

With that said, make sure you take the MSF course. And spend a lot of hours just riding it through neighborhoods. Dont get out on a main road untill you feel completely comfortable.

Respect the bike, that's all I can say.

Last edited by caledvwlch; 01-05-2011 at 02:31 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 07:01 AM
Site Sponsor

Congrats on the purchase, but this was a poor idea as a first bike, in love with it or not. Ride safe!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 07:46 AM

Great looking bike good choice, exhaust looks great. Take it easy!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 11:22 AM

Best Model & Color !!

Good choice and +1 on everything above. It is a ride like nothing else totally different feel, But you have nothing to compare to so jut feel it out SLOWLY! Ride Safe and enjoy

Satos, CF Sir box & snorkel,Mr front and rear fender & dash cover, custom carbon V cowl, Black ASV levers, Power com III, Hot Bodies tail, Galfer lines, Vortex Clip ons.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 12:12 PM

Oh man, first bike ha.. Not the best idea, but stay within your limits and you should be fine.. No other bike will ever feel the same BTW. Any bike I have ridden since feels like bicycle now.. (929, F3, ZZR600, F4i, GSXR 750)

Other then that , Enjoy yourself! I love the 2005/06 color! My favorite bike by a long shot!

What are the issues you are having? And what do you want to do with it?

2003 ZZR1200 - Galfer Lines, EBC HH Pads, Corbin Beetle Bags and Seat, Genmar Risers, Muzzy Full System. - Street.

2007 RSV1000R - Penske triple clicker, Ohlins forks, Ohlins steering damper, Leo Vince titanium full system, race ECU, Brembo mono-blocks, Braided lines, Race battery, etc.. - Track whore.

2004 Hemi Durango - Tow duty
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Sorry guys, I guess I should have been clear that although I've never owned a bike before, I've rode bikes before. I lived with my uncle in high school for about a year and he helped me get my license and did the safety course. That was about 7 years ago. I use to take his Honda cbr 600 hurricane to school all the time. Since then he's upgraded to a hayabusa. So I get to take it for a spin once in a while. So I do have some experience but plan to be super careful and take it slow.

As far as the issues go... Small stuff. The lock for the tiny storage area is missing. There's just the wire left which I can pull on to open it. I would much rather have a lock. And I think the first owner of the bike made a fender eliminator bracket contraption himself. So he didn't bother relocating the lock. It looks clean but you can tell that it's not an off the shelf part. I'll post pictures later.

Also when I make a left/U turn, the left grip hits the tank. The right side has no issues. So I probably just need to adjust the clipons. Also he installed braided brake lines for the front and they run into the instrument panel when I try to lock the bike. It's a pain and looks like one of the lines is close to kinking. So I'll have to fix it asap. I'll post some pictures when I get home from work. Bike also has sato rearsets so there's no brake light when I hit the rear brakes. I guess you should be using both front and rear brakes at the same time anyway so might not be an issue.

Also I would like to add a much brighter tail light. The stock one is not bright at all. I want something that will be super bright when I hit the brakes to get the attention of the person behind me.

Thanks for the advice guys.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

brake lines

Here are the pictures for the brake line issue. I have to force the handle bars all the way to the left in order to lock the bike so its definitely putting some stress on the lines. The steel lines are starting to grind down the metal on the instrument cluster. Anyone else have this problem? Can I just loosen the bolt and turn the lines so they are out of the way? Or do I have to worry about getting air in the lines if I do that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1(2).jpg
Views:	38
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	971   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2(2).jpg
Views:	30
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	972  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 10:11 PM

You should be able to loosen the bolt just a small amount and spin the fitting down out of the way with then tighten it back how. However I cant tell if there is any interference with the two lines with regards to the angle of the fittings and also there is a tab usually on the master cylinder its self that prevents the lines from being in certain location and you may need to grind that off, hard to see for sure without being there but definitely simple fix!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
With two brake lines, the tab is too short to hold the second line.
However, when properly tightened, there shouldn't be a problem.
Here's an example of a two brake line installation where the lines are angled and tightened that clear the instrument panel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode