New RC51 owner in NC - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New RC51 owner in NC

Hi, I'm Brad, and I'm stationed in Camp Lejeune, NC. I've been riding for roughly 23 years, just a bit longer than I've served in the Marine Corps (22 years). I've bought and sold more than I should have, and I've lost track of my bike count, but I think I'm on #14 and #15. I started on a 1986 Honda VF500, great little bike. I currently have a 2000 Yamaha V-Max and a 2003 Honda RC51. I bought the RC51 back in September as a replacement for the 2006 Suzuki GSXR1000 I destroyed when I crashed at VIR (training, not racing) in August. I've only been able to ride the RC51 a few times, since I'm still recovering from crash (and the winter weather hasn't been great either). I was planning on making the RC51 a track-only bike, but the one I bought looks fresh from the showroom. The previous owner treated the bike like it was his favorite son, and it was stored in a spare bedroom in his house rather than a garage. Anyway, given the bike is so clean, I'm not sure I want to risk destruction on the track, so I'm not yet committed to the track bike transformation. I look forward to learning from the RC51 owners on the forums, and hopefully I'll be able to contribute once in a while myself. Speed safely!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00039-20100815-1831.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	994   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00045-20100815-1834.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	995  

Last edited by bradvanhorn; 01-12-2011 at 04:09 PM. Reason: I added the two pics taken by the 1st owner right before I bought the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 07:58 AM

Welcome to the forum Brad!

"Like a junkie trying to get his hands on the next fix,
those of us who seek the thrill of speed and danger will
do anything to get those glands pumping out that juice."
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Welcome to the group!!
I may be sentimental, but if the bike is as pristine as your say, it would be a shame to risk trashing it on the track.
Not only do they not make these things anymore, but the cost of locating/replacing parts will be a lot higher than say a Gixxer.
It would be far easier to buy another I-4 and track it. Then use the RC51 to ride on the street.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Welcome and congrats on the bike! Im in garner and ride with a buncha nc based riders. If your ever in the raleigh area feel free to hit me up.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 06:26 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Hey Brad, Welcome Aboard. I up on Cherry Point, Marine as well. There are not many nice roads to ride around here, only know of 1 or 2. We should get together for a ride this spring. I've met one other guy with a RC and seen a '02 (think it was) in Castrol colors on Lejeune last month. Wish you a speedy recovery.
Ride safe,
James

Hey if you're going to make a track toy out of her, I'd like to talk to you and work out a deal/trade for some ruffed up fairings. Mine are in good condition, just not "Cherry".
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
I may be sentimental, but if the bike is as pristine as your say, it would be a shame to risk trashing it on the track. Not only do they not make these things anymore, but the cost of locating/replacing parts will be a lot higher than say a Gixxer. It would be far easier to buy another I-4 and track it. Then use the RC51 to ride on the street.
That is exactly what I was thinking. If I can find a track worthy 600 for a reasonable price, then I think this may be the way I'll go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_03_rc View Post
Hey Brad, Welcome Aboard. I up on Cherry Point, Marine as well. There are not many nice roads to ride around here, only know of 1 or 2. We should get together for a ride this spring.
I'll certainly keep this in mind. Hopefully I'll be fully fit to ride by the time the weather improves.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Oh come on track the bike already....then sell off the parts left over.

That will just help make my baby worth just a little more.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 10:16 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Hey Brad,
I was doing my daily RC51 part shopping. Seen this, thought you might be interested. http://www.rc51parts.com/Product-Fib...dywork_88.aspx I haven't dealt Ben yet, I have read good things and he has a couple items I've been eyeing. He has a lot and gets new stuff all the time. Hate to see a beautiful bike like yours get trashed on the track (or anywhere). But to each their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
Oh come on track the bike already....then sell off the parts left over.

That will just help make my baby worth just a little more.
Donít mean to cannibalize your bike but...If it come to that i call dibs on the Satos...if thier left
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 10:42 AM

Thank You

First off thanks for your service and enjoy the bike. Keep it on the street. Buy a cheaper bike for the track, and lighter. Hoovy

Satos, CF Sir box & snorkel,Mr front and rear fender & dash cover, custom carbon V cowl, Black ASV levers, Power com III, Hot Bodies tail, Galfer lines, Vortex Clip ons.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Lifetime Premium

Welcome to the forum! Navy here out of West Virginia right now and i agree keep the rc street cause that baby looks too sweet! Do u know where the sato sticker on the pipes came from?? They look sweet along with the sargent seat

James

2003 Honda RC51 - 46K+
----------------------------------
PCIIIr, SATO low mount C/F, hotbodies undertail, SATO F/S, CRG shorty BRK & CLTCH levers, Magical Racing C/F speedo cover and rear hugger, HRC clutch & F Brake sock covers, Galfer SS lines all around, pair valve mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode