Long overdue - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Long overdue

Hey everybody. Not necessarily new to the forum(been lurking for over a year now) but decided to take the time to introduce myself and share my story, so here it goes.

Back in 2007 a cousin of mine came into quite a bit of money and asked me if I would like for him to buy me a car(I was walking at the time). Jokingly I told him no, I would prefer to have a motorcycle. When he asked me what kind I wanted I told him it didn't matter, as long as it ran and had a title I'd be happy. I had a couple dirtbikes as a kid, my father has a 81' Harley that he bought brand new in 81', so I've always had a love for bikes. Unfortunately, I had kids at an early age, and numerous "jobs" never a career, so owning a sportbike has always been a dream.

Then the dream became a reality. Into my hands came a 2001 RC51. At the time I acquired it my DL was suspended and I never had the MC endorsement. So the bike sat improperly stored in the garage until the spring of 09'. It was then that I finally had my license restored. First thing I did was sign up for the MSF course at the local college. With the endorsement added and the anxiety to ride mounting I hastily took the bike to a local backyard mechanic and had him tune it up and get it running. And run it did! With no car, and no desire to own one, I rode my baby hard and put her away wet. Everyday for 4 months straight, rain or shine, I did everything but picking up the kids and grocery shopping. And then the inevitable happened, it broke down

Turns out the regulator took a crap. My mechanic got it running but it only lasted a couple weeks. When I took it back he said he had "rigged it" but there's nothing else he could do. So to the internet I turned and got smacked in the face with the realization that I can't afford to ride. I had no idea how expensive replacement parts were for motorcycles when compared to cars. $100+ for a battery that's 1/3 the size of a $60 car battery? $11 spark plugs? This saddened me to the point of depression and contemplation of selling. Because not only did the regulator get fried, it took the battery along with it. The previous owner lowsided so the left rad had a leak. The sprockets and chain were shot to shit. The tires were showing signs of dry-rot..... You see where I'm going with this? If it wasn't for my wife's support and reading alot of the posts on this forum, I would have been sold my pig.

Fortunately I didn't, and have spent the last year with the help of this site and my service manual bringing her back to life. So far this is what I've done: I was able to source a used Rad and Reg. from this site. The rad doesn't leak and after learning how to use a multimeter the charging system is within spec. I've done the PAIR mod and flapper mod, bought a new battery and tender, changed the oil and filter, air filters, and plugs. I have a lift which aided me in doing the work but in order to continue I had to get the bike off the ground. So I bought a Black Widow swingarm stand and front triple tree stand. They're not Pitbulls but I'm pleased with the quality. Wifey Claus bought me a new Scorpion Exo-1000 and the rest of the family pitched in and got me some new Spacely Space Sprckets and D.I.D. chain. I went with the 15/41,530 set-up. Next on the list are a set of Michelin Pilot Power's, and new brake pads front and rear.

In case anyone was wondering , no there isn't any Thorsten this or Sato that, Mori-who? The bike came with a PCIIIr(map unknown) and Two Bros. CF slip-ons(C4) and mid-pipes. Aftermarket undertail with integrated blinkers(manufacturer unknown) And also the PO had the rims chromed. That's good for another 5 HP right?

I could keep rambling but it's getting late and I think I've held your attention long enough. I want to thank you for reading my post and feel free to flame me at will! I would also like to thank all the forum members who contribute to this site with their wealth of knowledge and expertise. And also to the elitist prick bastards at RC51.org. Greatest bunch of guys I'll never get to ride with
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RC51.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1006   Click image for larger version

Name:	La Otra!.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1007   Click image for larger version

Name:	BATCH 4 045.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1008   Click image for larger version

Name:	on stands.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1009  

2 wheels 1 love
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 09:58 PM

Sounds like a good story in the works. Hope it turns out well.

"Like a junkie trying to get his hands on the next fix,
those of us who seek the thrill of speed and danger will
do anything to get those glands pumping out that juice."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 12:48 AM

Good story man. I love the do it yourself attitude.

Mythic44
05 GSX-R 1000

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Yea, good story! Paralells mine in some ways. Finally!, after 20 years of lusting for a street bike, about 5 years ago my motorcycle dreams came to reality. I could relate to the painful realization you might have to let your dream go: sell the bike. Been there. I rode the snot out of my first bike too, a Yamaha Warrior. I have to give a big cheers to Wifey Claus and your family for all chipping in to make it possible to keep and ride your bike. That's a good family.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Last edited by jondog9; 01-16-2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: correction
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Glad to see you persevere and completed the project.
The reward is when you hear it crank for the first time after completion.
Makes the effort worth all the time and effort.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 01:00 PM

A very welcome newbie.

I want to add, while RealVciousTwin has been lurking over this last year or so, I have had several PM's with him. He has been a kind and sharing member of this forum. He has sent RC51 parts to me for my measurement and mark up needs and has asked for nothing in return. He even paid the postage to send me the parts I needed. (Yes, I reimburse these charges but that was not asked for or the point.) He has been nothing but giving.
Members like RealViciousTwin is why forums like this are a success.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 10:51 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
It is great when everything works out. As you know the bike is well worth every blood, sweat and tear you have to offer the ol bike.

2004 RC51 with multipul mods
1985 VF1000R SOLD 😭
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
What do you mean never get to ride with....come on out to Indy for the MotoGP and I will drag your ass all across Indiana....

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Congrats on the new toy buddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode