Second 2002 RC51 for me and I have questions! - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Second 2002 RC51 for me and I have questions!

I am on my second 2002 RC51. The first bike I had I left completely stock. With the new one I ordered the K&N air filter, Yoshimura RS3 exhaust and a Power Commander. The place I ordered everything from is including a custom MAP for my aftermarket parts, but I have to perform the soft rev, pair and the flapper valve mods myself for the MAP to be correct.

I have read through the instructions, but I wanted to know why the instructions have you remove the solenoid valve and the vacuum tank. It has you cap/plug the vacuum line that goes to the throttle body. Is the only thing the solenoid valve and vacuum tank controls is the flapper valve?

The soft rev wiring mod looks simple enough and the pair mod just involves removing hoses and capping lines.

I know there are the instructions and pics to guide me, but I don't want to screw this up at all.

Thanks for any comments or advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
The flapper is vacuum actuated, controlled by the ECU.
The vacuum tank holds the vacuum until the flapper solenoid is actuated.
If you disconnect the flapper solenoid, you disabled the flapper.
The mechanism removal is just losing extraneous parts and weight.
Then you can plug the flapper actuator hole with a cover, either CNC milled from Kyle Racing to TPO parts, or whatever.

Note: If you do decide to use a CNC cover, keep your flapper actuator as they used the spring steel plate on bottom to hold the CNC cover in place.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Talking Update

I just ordered the flapper mod and pair mod blank off plates from Kyle Racing and the Soft Rev Kit from Scott's. I already received my K&N filters and expect my Yoshimura exhaust and Power Commander with custom MAP early next week. I need to have my front suspension serviced as the shippers over compressed it during transportation and blew out the seals. I am waiting for some misc parts from bikebandit and from ebay. I plan to do the mods and install everything the second week in February. I may take step by step color photos with a 12.0MP camera along the way. If anyone is in or around Corpus and wants to help/learn along the way get back to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode