Hi, I'm a newbie, getting RC tommorrow - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smile Hi, I'm a newbie, getting RC tommorrow

Hi all, My mane is Roman, I'm a member of a few forums, this one is going to be a first one for a motorcycle.

I'll be going to look at and make an offer on a 2001 RC51 with 26,000 miles on it.
I'm hoping to hear what potential warning signs, noises and bike behavior I should watch out for when I take it on a ride to make my final decision tomorrow. Bike is being sold for 4,200.

I heard the bike run, its got a few imperfections, mostly due to age, no major cosmetic issues, never been dropped. I know that a chick used to commute on that machine daily to school. Some guidance will be appreciated, as I read through the forum. I'm a car mechanic, so feel free to dump a whole load of maintenance issues on me. I want to be armed to teeth with information tomorrow. Thanks!

This will be my 3rd sport bike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
1st: That kind of money you can find one with MUCH lower miles. I paid $4700 for my 2003 with 4700 miles.

As for issues, stators are a nuisance at times. The early models had leaking gas tanks in the seam around the hinged area. (another expert will verify this for you soon)

Aftermarket exhaust are damn near impossible to find for the early RC's (I see this one has two brothers...)

Make sure you pull the side covers and check for leaks, hose wear, smell the oil (for reasonsd you know why as a mechanic...) Take a look at the coolant color. Ask about if they owner ever changed the fork oil. Look at the brake fluid color....if its nice and clean, you know the owner took good care of the ride. Look at the wiring harness and make sure its not chopped up. (Especially around the turn signals)

The bikes are flawless as for performance.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I too thought that the price was high, but its lower then the suggested KBB value.
This is a dealer price, I need a second ride now, becuase my transmission in the car has gone bad and being rebuilt, plus I wanted to get a bigger bike and they have it right here right now. What do you thing I should offer on it? Thanks for your help.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

I'd say anything higher than $3200 is a bit too much, $3,200 being the highest I would go...

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 10:38 PM

Funny how I know a Roman who is on a few forums and admins one of them and he too is a mechanic. Small world maybe? Only if you're in NC.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 05:50 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Yeah, thats way to much to pay for that many miles. If it was mint, i'd offer 3500 at most. If its in good condition 3000. fair 2000-2500. I bought mine in good condition for 3500.
Biggest thing is the tank leak. Check the seam and hinge area to include the inside of the frame leading down to the rearsets. if you smell fuel or feel dirty grease type grime its got the leak. usually you will be able to see dark brown/black grime on te tank seam on the left side as well. Just stick your hand in around the area and if its greasey, you will know.

Let us know how it turns out.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Those assholes sold the bike today before 10am, I got there at 12............ I even had a $500 deposit..... bummed out. They probably knew that I knew what I was looking at and knew how much it was worth, so they sold it for $4800 to sum kid that didn't have a clue... not going there again... I'm looking for another one locally, but so far, nothing I can or want to afford. I really like these bikes, very unique, and I'll definitely get one over any of the big 3 600s

Sorry for wasting your time

Last edited by RCROM; 03-02-2011 at 05:42 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Lifetime Premium

Craigslist.....they are everywhere. If you can make it up to Michigan, there are a lot of folks out of work willing to off load their bike relatively cheap.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Michigan? I'm in Florida man lol, there is a bunch sold here locally, I'll just keep looking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode