RC51 Forums banner

Hello from Fuji, Japan.

5K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Lycon86 
#1 ·
Greetings all.

I've been riding about 25 years, but started as a young teen on a dirt bike. I still ride almost daily and am a petrol head, having a collection of quick cars and a few bikes. Today I added another to the collection & bought myself a mint run-in mileage KMX200 to have some fun off road with. I'm 42, but getting more childish with age, despite being a dad.

I've been an RC51 owner now for 4 years and I'll never part with my SP2.
So far in 40,000km I've changed everything from the intake (Turnone) to the exhaust (Akra full works system no less). Wheels are forged 7 spoke PVM's and the suspension's been sorted by Maxton in UK whilst the bike lives with me in Fuji, Japan. Lately I've managed to warp the front discs, so I'm awaiting Braketech Axis discs, a radial conversion for 108 calipers and some race spec. Discacciati calipers to compliment the Brembo 19mm master cylinder that's been on the bike since the day I bought it. It's got a lot more stuff and no doubt will continue to be modified. Japan is 75% mountains so t's a bit of a biking mecca that few people living outside Japan know about. Hope to learn from people here and maybe share some of what I've learnt about bikes & maybe Japan too.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome aboard !!

#5 ·
Awesome....you are a lucky man to be able to ride your bike in Japan. The bike looks beautiful. love the white SP2's. Welcome to the forum and looking forward to hearing more about Japan and your bikes.

#11 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Plenty of twisty roads through Japanese mountains, although most of the corners are blind since forest is usually dense too. I like the seasonal changes. There's beautiful colours during cherry blossom & autumn seasons. Road surfaces are usually well maintained too. Not much Police presence on mountain roads either. People tend to be sensible here, I guess.

Drifting? - It's not done on mountains much these days, most on race circuits, but it's a dying sport nowadays TBH...

#14 ·
Thanks for the compliments.

Once I get it through the Shaken (Got to change the exhaust back to standard and a few other bits to pass inspection), I'll be changing to radial brakes and other stuff. Awaiting solid billet lower fork mounts to replace the OEM's - which are due from Italy in about 2 weeks. Will post a thread after I do that work...

The Discacciati calipers with titanium pistons are so nice they almost deserve use as ornaments in the house, lol :D

#15 ·
Welcome aboard Stig, and I have to say.....WHAT A GORGEOUS BIKE! I love the exhaust you've got on there, it looks incredible. That is actually the style I was wanting to do w/mine. Looking like Colin Edwards bike from the 2002 WSB championship race at Laguna Seca. Look forward to hearing more from you and getting to see more pictures of the other goodies you put on in the future.

#16 ·
Thanks for the compliment. I think there's someone here selling a similar exhaust (2,500 GBP), maybe without titanium headers, not sure. Hard exhaust to find nowadays & usually expensive (But if you don't damage it - should always be worth good money).

There's more mods due. I'm about to take it for re-inspection, then work can begin.

#17 · (Edited)
Update: Inspection passed! Was interesting hearing the carbon airbox at work, resonating through the rev range. They looked at the standard exhaust and passenger hangers, standard indicators, etc. stamped their OK on paperwork and 20 mins later I was on my way home. Just over 2 years of freedom to change the bike as I please, before having to refit the above again to please the inspectors...

Hoping to find some time this afternoon to clean it up (Covered in filth from riding in the recent typhoon weather, etc) and take some pics of the Akra Ti race system in pieces and weigh it compared to the standard exhaust, then fit new brakes, etc. So I'll be posting some photos & stuff on a new thread soon...

[EDIT] - thread now posted: http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=28574#post28574

#20 ·
Ello,
It's an HRC / Akrapovic full titanium system as used by WSB teams.
Rare as rocking horse manure unfortunately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.