Upgrading - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cool Upgrading

Sometime this week, i'm going to be purchasing my '02 rc51 from the dealer, and expecting to be a very, very happy man.

When he first started that engine up, I was both surprised at the sound and genuinely intrigued (not sure if the pipes are stock or not, but sounded damn nice). After my test drive, it was nearly a done deal. Just had to make sure the girlfriend fit on it first

My first was a '06 Ninja 250 which I had for two years and sold just the other day in anticipation of upgrading. It was a great first bike and taught me safely and well. I was planning to move into the 600-750 range, but I found a damn fine deal on the rc51 which is making it really, really hard to pass up.

So, i'm trying to think of things to consider and keep in mind when moving into a new and uncharted world. Read a bunch of stuff on here, and it all sounds pretty reasonable (a lot of power, heavy bike, etc). I've always been a safe rider, and am a fairly large guy, so I'm not too concerned about the physical size. The engine size has me, understandably i think, a little nervous. I'm sure i'll get used to it over time, but that test drive was something else; quick flick of the throttle and before i knew it, I was from 40mph to 50. Exciting but sobering at the same time.

At the risk of asking for the same 'ol info regurgitated up... hints/suggestions/etc?

Thanks guys; I hope to be spending a lot more time here soon.

-b
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 06:45 AM

First and foremost welcome to the forum

As for being nervous thats a good thing, at least in lower increments. It keeps you in check from getting on and crackin it wide open like you did on the 250 to get up to speed. That being said if you purchase it just take the time to get to know the bike and you will be just fine. Take any additional courses that may be offered in your area. Just remember its not your 250 while its a ton faster its no where near as nimble, your 06 had a 130 rear tire and a 110 front i believe and probably weighed just over half as much, more like a bicycle in comparison.

Im sure you wont be dissappointed by the bike if you buy it. Find out about the exhaust, and any other upgrades already done to the bike, check the tail section for a PC-III and speedo healer.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 07:59 AM

in terms of the hp numbers its more like a 750 then a true 1000, so you wont get that crazy surge up top. but remember it is still a very fast bike, deceptively fast. so stay on your toes and be ready to use them brakes and leaning techniques, things come at you fast on this big girl! the torque is up there with the 1000s so be ready for learning to apply the throttle really smooth in the turns and on loose surfaces, the back will kick out if you dont. other then that, it is a very stable platform, and can handle a lot of abuse.
you will hate the gas mileage tho, after the 60+- mpg of the 250 you drop to an honest 25-30 mpg of this beast. not fun! other then that: change your oil, filters, brake fluid, coolant, go over the tires (condition and air pressure) and hoses and you should be all set.

2003 ZZR1200 - Galfer Lines, EBC HH Pads, Corbin Beetle Bags and Seat, Genmar Risers, Muzzy Full System. - Street.

2007 RSV1000R - Penske triple clicker, Ohlins forks, Ohlins steering damper, Leo Vince titanium full system, race ECU, Brembo mono-blocks, Braided lines, Race battery, etc.. - Track whore.

2004 Hemi Durango - Tow duty

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Site Sponsor

Welcome and congrats! It's a serious bike, but a ton of fun. It sounds like you have some experience on the road, and that's probably 1/2 the battle. Just respect the machine until you get used to the power... ride safe!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 08:33 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Welcome to the madness,
The RC is a great bike very smooth power ban, as long as you don't snap her open to hard the girls shouldn't get yu in trouble. Ride safe and learn the bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51parts.com View Post
Just respect the machine until you get used to the power... ride safe!
+1 respect

I beleive as long as you respect a machine/tool it will do what's asked of it and not try to kill you in the process.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
welcome to the forum, sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders so i think you will be just fine. Take all the advice that some forum members have already given you, keep reading and learning, and see if you can get in a riding school or two. its amazing how much you will learn in just one day at these places.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Certainly some good information/advice; some new, some old. All is appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorpheusRS View Post
In terms of the hp numbers its more like a 750 then a true 1000
Heard the sales guy mention something along those lines, but it's good to hear it from someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorpheusRS View Post
you will hate the gas mileage tho, after the 60+- mpg of the 250 you drop to an honest 25-30 mpg of this beast.
Yanno, I never thought of that one, but that is kind of disappointing. People usually get pissed when I tell them I used to get 60+mpg and filled up for $10 every week and a half. But... what'cha gonna do? Seems totally worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_03_rc View Post
I beleive as long as you respect a machine/tool it will do what's asked of it and not try to kill you in the process.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts455 View Post
see if you can get in a riding school or two. its amazing how much you will learn in just one day at these places.
Absolutely. Took the MSF course last year, and some of it really has stuck. At the end of last season, I had my back tire on the 250 Ninja blow out on the highway at 70mph or so. Single most terrifying moment of my life. But what was amazing was that the first thing that came to my head (other than "oh shi*t oh shi*t o shi*t") was what the guy said in the MSF course. Really good info.

Thanks guys; I've picked up a bit already. keep it coming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode