new member from maine - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
new member from maine

hey everyone. i have owned honda atvs for the last 25 years. i just got my first honda motorcycle and it is a 2000 rc51. the perfect starter bike? i never was very interested in motorcycles i have always been off road. my bike is in very good condition, it has a jardine 2 into 1 exhaust and a power commander. i noticed yesterday it has a leaking fork seal so i called my friend doug cushing up in farmington. he said $150 to fix the fork seal and $45 to run it on the dyno and check out setup on the power commander. i will post some pictures soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Welcome. Great Bike!!! Just don't know if it's a great first street bike. The RC51's have so much power, you can get into trouble fast. But on the other hand, I know from my own experience, all your years of atv's will help; a little.
With no prior street experience, I would recomend a school. gonna cost about $250 or more, but you'll learn the things to keep you alive under extreme occurances, and the good habits you need to be a good rider.
my 2 cents...

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

i will finish the motorcycle training class tomorrow. most of what they are teaching is common sense. it amazes me that the others in the class have never been on anything motorized besides a car. a lot of them have no buisness on a bike, maybe in time they will get it but not in 10 hours of seat time. they get the basics but there isn't time enuff for much else. i got my first dirtbike when i was 4, a suzuki jr50. my next bike was a rm 80, after that i got a honda big red atc. since i started buying my own machines i have had several sport quads a yz 125. we do a lot of snowmobiling in the winter and sea-dooing in the summer. i look forward to riding this bike more. i have taken it out for a few rides so far and it does have a lot of power, but it won't do anything that i don't make it do. i am very cautious when i ride it and have no interest in seeing how fast it will go. the previous owner claims it to be a 200mph bike i guarantee that it will never go anywhere near that fast with me on it.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 09:31 PM

welcome to the board, glad to see your taking the steps necessary to ride safe. For what its worth without drastic sprocket changes its not a 200mph bike, not really even close, due to its V2 configuration and lack of high rpms you wont need to worry about it.

enjoy the bike, we all do
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Ok, I was going off your comment "i just got my first honda motorcycle and it is a 2000 rc51". I figured atv's meant dirtbikes, but wasn't sure. Sounds like you're off to a good start, and imo, the RC51 is one of the coolest bikes out there.
Enjoy the forum.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

i am not sure about the gearing of the bike the previous owner claimed it has new chain and sprockets and that they were around $800. i do know it will go 71 mph in first gear when it hits the rev limiter, at that point i shifted it into 5th and slowed to 60 and just rode it there. the speed limits around here are mostly 45 and 55 so 6th gear is pretty much useless. i passed my class today so tomorrow i will go to the dmv and get my liscence stamped and start riding. anyone in maine want to do some riding?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
welcome to the forum, post up some pics of your new bike

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode