New guy with an 03 RC51 from Nashville... - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New guy with an 03 RC51 from Nashville...

Hello there. New to RC's but not new to riding, although it's been a few years since I had to drag a knee. I am picking up an 03 RC51 on Sunday. Has Jardine 2 > 1 and is a nice bike. Looks like its mostly stock and I will be the third owner. The first two were firends and older riders, so the bike has been well looked after. The bike has just under 30,000 miles on it and hasn't been ridden hard. Last valve adj was 8,000 miles ago. Will need a new rear tire. Any suggestions on where to get the best deal on a new tire? Prob go ahead and put both on. So thoughts on tire suggestions and sources for them? How am I going to like the Jardine 2 > 1? Also what is the prescribed street clutch for these bikes? I used to throw Barnett clutch and spings in whatever I rode, but it's been almost 10 years since I've played this game! So yeah tease me, I have a big bore Harley Super Glide that my new toy is going to have to live with.....

One other question, the bike is an 03 and I have read one or two people talking about the gold outlines on the 03 but I have only seen them on the bike I am getting. Are they often removed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
No, the gold lines are painted on. Tire, any of the site sponsors will do...$220 delivered seems to be a good average.

As far as the Harley, you have to have something to work on, right?

Welcome, the '03 are the fastest...at least thats what I tell myself

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

So I seal the deal Sunday but are there any hidden things to look for that I might have missed? Bike is quiet no ticks or rattles that sound abnormal.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen_n_around View Post
So I seal the deal Sunday but are there any hidden things to look for that I might have missed? Bike is quiet no ticks or rattles that sound abnormal.
If its quiet, its not an RC....they are noisey vibration machines

If the bike has been cared for, you should be okay. With close to 30,000 on it, a fuel pump regulator on the shelf may be in order. Just change the oil and off you go.

When you get it I would do the following:

1) Change the coolant
2) Change the fork fluid
3) Check and re-torque the steering head bearings, assorted fasteners through out the bike
4) Change the brake/clutch fluids

This would be a good start.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Well, not quiet but not abnormal...... No unusual clacks or roars but they do have a super-sexy sound....remember I got a Harley, sounds like the valvetrain is gonna come out of that Twin Cam 88, and have a Vortech Supercharged Mustang that sounds like a cement mixer, so I got a good trained ear....and one deaf one! lol....

Is there a good source for a PDF Service Manual for the bike? Purchase or download from someone/somewhere?

***Nevermind...found it.... http://www.rc51.info/index.php?page=service

Last edited by saleen_n_around; 07-14-2011 at 03:48 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Guys,

I saw the bike a week ago, and didn't get pics while I was there, but now I am getting jittery. Bike looked solid, but does it have all the right colors in the right spots for an 03? When I search 03 RC's on google, I have not found one photo with gold wings outined. Also I find pice with both silver tail and black tails listed as 03. These are the only pics I have from the seller.

The story is the bike has been well taken care of and owned by two owners, who are frends and both older riders. Never been down, etc. Going to look the bike over again with a fine tooth comb.

Just make me feel better about how the bike looks and it appears not to be a mutt. Is there such a thing as carfax for bikes?

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
The bodywork is correct for an '03, except for the outlining around the hawk feathers.
It's a 2 into 1 exhaust, probably a Jardine system.
And it's got a double-bubble dark tint windscreen, and undertail (possibly Hotbodies), and frame sliders, plus wheel stripes.
Otherwise it looks like an '03.

Last edited by SubSailor; 07-15-2011 at 08:26 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
The bodywork is correct for an '03, except for the outlining around the hawk feathers.
Like Sub said the outlining on the side fairings is not stock and was done aftermarket. The SP1 2000-2001 Bikes had gold outlining around the tank honda logo, not sure about the 2002-2003 SP2. Looks like the previous owner just did some accenting on the wheels and fairings with the gold striping.
The undertail looks to be a hotbodies, open up the rearcowl and take a look at the wiring. A lot of times these are hacked up and cause electrical issues....if it is hacked up and looks messy you might want to clean it up, solder everything, and lay it out nice neat to prevent any shorts etc.

Other then that take Madbuyers advice and it should be problem free and ready to ride. Welcome to the forum, man.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)

Last edited by gts455; 07-15-2011 at 05:06 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys....I am pretty excited!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 01:24 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum. Most these RC's are friggin barn-burners in just about any form. But 30k is 30k. Bet your ass that it's been pushed hard at least some. Cause you just cant not!

Assuming you ride it when you finalize, wear your harley helmet, I promise you'll hear all the ticking and clicking and clacking and air getting sucked in like a hurricane thru the airbox! You'll hear a crapload of noises in lower gears. then the wind takes over
And the exhaust, pure symphony, loud with unmistakable purpose! Different than a cruiser twin. I dont think the 2>1 is uncommon. There's write-ups and dyno results about them. I wouldn't mind it at all if that's the way it comes. You can easily change it later to lots of other choices. imo.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode