I still can't believe it.... - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I still can't believe it....

Hi everybody. I just bought a '03 RC51 yesterday and I'm ecstatic! Believe it or not, it's 100% stock currently, with a little over 11K miles. I bought it local here in Yuma and couldn't believe I'd find such a nice one here.

I've also got an '08 Ducati Monster S2R1000 that I bought new and have been riding a lot since I bought it. I had an '02 ZX-7R prior to that.

I'm looking forward to browsing the forums and learning about what I can do with the bike. I already plan on doing a full fluid change, brake/clutch bleed, and just general TLC for my own peace of mind.

So....first question I suppose (and I know this can be probably the most controversial one from my time on the Ducati forums!), what engine oil do you typically run?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Welcome...you missed the fork fluid change.

Having a Duc is not bad....now that you have an RC, you have made an upgrade

Oil....there are several posts on oils and many thoughts. I like the Castrol or Mobile brands full synthetics...10W40 is better for places like where I live. If you are in the desert, 20W50, but you already probably knew that. I place more emphasis on the filter since I change the oil every 1,800~2,500 miles.

http://www.motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html
www.rc51.org has lots of good information too.

Before you cut that virgin plastic mud flap, advertise it for sale, several folks have been looking for an unmolested one for some time.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

I've never had any trouble keeping up with my friends' CBR1000's on any road with my 2-valve Italian tractor....

And, unfortunately, fork oil is part of my "general TLC" list as I've got a couple of weeping fork seals that need dealing with. Regarding filters, I already ordered some K&N oil filters. I definitely prefer the nut welded to the housing.

Now...on the mudflap. I'm wanting to keep this bike as stock as possible. My Duc is the bike I went overboard with on mods, trying to avoid that with the RC. But....the right offer may be able to wrest it from my possession....

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 01:04 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Welcome. That's a real score!
Go to www.rc51.org and click on the mods link. That'll keep you busy for a while.
Start with the flapper mod and the PAIR mod. They're free and easy.
If you search 'best oil' or 'what oil', you'll find a couple really long threads where everybody chimed in. I use Honda HP4S 10-30. Factory filter. I've heard they come with a 30 day gaurantee against failure

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Welcome. That's a real score!
Go to www.rc51.org and click on the mods link. That'll keep you busy for a while.
Start with the flapper mod and the PAIR mod. They're free and easy.
If you search 'best oil' or 'what oil', you'll find a couple really long threads where everybody chimed in. I use Honda HP4S 10-30. Factory filter. I've heard they come with a 30 day gaurantee against failure
Haha, I had already been to the .org Mods page a few weeks back when I was still shopping for a bike, so I'm pretty up to speed on the common ones. I will probably end up doing the flapper mod next weekend. I plan on getting a pair of slip-ons whenever (hopefully) a nice set of Ti cans pops up on classifieds.

And, depending upon the results of my brake bleed, I might end up with a set of braided lines as well. The brakes feel AWFUL! I have no idea how the previous owner rode this thing. The lever comes all the way to the bar with a firm squeeze even with it adjusted all the way out! Not sure how many of you 51 guys ride Ducatis (sacrelige around here, I suppose), but I feel I may be spoiled for brake feel on my Monster with the factory braided lines and aggressive master cylinder ratio. Two fingers are more than enough!

Like I said, as far as I can tell, this thing is 100% original. I'll get some pics up tonight and let the experts tell me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Crarrs; 07-18-2011 at 11:35 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Swap to a set of stainless lines, bleed it, and then pull the lever as hard as you can, then use a zip tie to hold the lever back overnight. You'll get that "two finger stoppie" feeling that you're looking for.

I prefer spiegler lines as you can adjust how the ends are turned.

The soft rev eliminator mod is also basically free.

Congrats on the bike, '03 models have the fastest paint job by far

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Alright....here's my stock '03 RC....nothing you regulars haven't seen before. Or has it been a while since you've seen an unmolested example around these parts? Not even swingarm spools! Full rear fender! All the damn reflectors are on it!

And just for fun....the Italian in my life.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RC51.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1643   Click image for larger version

Name:	RC51_2.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1644  

Last edited by Crarrs; 07-18-2011 at 02:47 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Wow, you weren't joking.

I like the Ducati, I've been eyeballing the new multi's....

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the site, Now I have to ask did the duck get a bath or did it rain in Yuma LOL.
Great looking bikes

2004 RC51 with multipul mods
1985 VF1000R SOLD 😭
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvrcr500 View Post
Welcome to the site, Now I have to ask did the duck get a bath or did it rain in Yuma LOL.
Great looking bikes
That's a photo from about a year ago post-wash. Actually have a couple additional mods since then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode